WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hike Anywhere in the World

Just curious... If you could hike any trail in the world without issues surrounding finances and employment, where would you go? Any specific reason? I am working on the IAT for the later part of 2012.

Regards,
    Rightfoot

anywhere in the world? no regard to finances?

First choice.. hike to Everest Basecamp or beyond.

First more realistic choice? Alaska near base of Mt Mckinley

second choice: the Alps

New England wouldn't even be on my list!

DavidNH

First choice: Norway - up the spine of the country along the fiords.

Second choice: New Zealand

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My first choice would be tramping the South Island of New Zealand.
    Second choice would be the Dolomites, then the Swiss Alps, and then perhaps the Carpathian Mountains in Slovakia (my ancestral homeland that I've never visited).
    Not sure where I'd rank Machu Picchu, but that has to be on the list also! So many places, so little time before my body gives out on me.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

months and months all over the Alps.

After that:
    maybe around Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England.
    maybe Sweden & Norway.
    the Olympics were fun so them again.
    and finally back to New England and nearby Canada.

Sometime in there I'd want to work in some long distance canoe trails like the Northern Forest Canoe Trail, Boundary Waters Canoe Area and canoe tramping around the lakes and rivers of Maine.

Afganastan, because I have wanted to ever since I read Michener's Caravans

Quote Originally Posted by Rightfoot View Post
    Just curious... If you could hike any trail in the world without issues surrounding finances and employment, where would you go? Any specific reason? I am working on the IAT for the later part of 2012.

Regards,
    Rightfoot
    There are lots of tempting destinations out there, but after 11 years of section hikes I am just over 1300 miles "in" on the Appalachian Trail, so if by some magical way I could be able to "hike any trail in the world without issues surrounding finances and employment," I would probably take the first 8 - 10 weeks to finish up the A.T. I would rather finish what I have started than tackle something new -- even if that something new may be more exotic or otherwise attractive.

Everest and anywhere else in the Himalayas. I consider backpacking to be training for mountaineering.

I think a loop of the French GR10 and Spanish GR11 through the Pyrenees would be nice.
    2009 thru hike Blog ---- 2009 AT GA-ME, 2012 JMT, 2013 LT, 2016 AT flip flop, 2017 AT GA-ME

Though there are so many interesting places to see in the world, I'd be happy just to see more of what is here in the US of A.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightfoot View Post

Regards,
    Rightfoot
    I have hiked a lot of the places mentioned (Alps, New Zealand, Australia, Eastern Europe, and Alaska) but the three places that draw me back over and over again are the Grand Canyon, the Wonderland Trail and the 100 Mile Wilderness. Anyone who has not done the hike to Supai, should have it high on their list.

I have neglected South America, so the Inca Trail is at the top of my list.
    Shutterbug

So many choices - priorities change from week to week.

1. The Great Himalaya Trail - Everest Base Camp and so much more. Check out their web page. The Zoomify maps are awesome. http://www.thegreathimalayatrail.org/

2. Kilimanjaro - Here is another very well done web page. Get there before the glacier melts. http://www.teamkilimanjaro.com/

3. K2/Gondogoro La Trek with a side trip by jeep to see the Hunza, Kalash and Nanga Parbat. - http://www.kjti.co.uk/

4. Trek from Ngorogoro Crater to Lake Eyasi with the Masai and spend a week with the Hadzabe - http://www.safaritourstanzania.com/

5. The Dingle Way - (like the AT, with pubs! - Slainte) http://www.dingleway.net/

6. The Pamir Moutains - because I have a friend in Khorog and it is so remote you can have half of Tajikistan to yourself. http://www.pamirs.org/trekking.htm

Links are not an endorsements of any specific company. But I have found these web pages to be particularly informative for someone like me who travels vicariously via the internet.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark View Post
    There are lots of tempting destinations out there, but after 11 years of section hikes I am just over 1300 miles "in" on the Appalachian Trail, so if by some magical way I could be able to "hike any trail in the world without issues surrounding finances and employment," I would probably take the first 8 - 10 weeks to finish up the A.T. I would rather finish what I have started than tackle something new -- even if that something new may be more exotic or otherwise attractive.
    This is why I haven't tackled any other long-distance trails over the past decade. I've got about 350 miles to go until I start on another trail (probably the JMT).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Hike smarter, not harder.

I'd go to the Via Alpina. Or the Himalayas.
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 11-30-2011 at 18:16.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Hike any trail in the world without issues surrounding finances and employment? I would figure out a trail that connected all the trails and get started on that for the rest of my life.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

teton traverse. theres just something about the tetons.too much left in this country to see without having to leave the good ol us of a

Images

the only exception for me might be patagonia

Any Mt.on the Moon.......as long as were wishin'

Right along the Iran/Iraq border; after all, what could go wrong?

Images

I just came back from the Inca Trail from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu in Peru a couple of weeks ago. I'd do that trek every day it's so beautiful. Other than that somewhere in the Himalayas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++