WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Default Keeping stuff from getting crushed

How do you keep stuff from getting crushed in your pack? In the past Ihave used hard sided food containers, but for a thru hike that does not seem feasible. So how do you keep your pop tarts intact and crackers whole?

Images

Default I didn't

My poptarts are almost always crumbs when I eat them. Tortillas stay okay though.... And Little Debbie Brownies still taste good when they are slightly crushed.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

In a traditional top-loader type pack, try keeping food at the top, or just under your raincoat. It will still get beat-up some though. When it does, just pour it all in one bag and have at it!
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

PopTarts are staples on all of my trips. They're heavy but so tasty! I keep them totally intact for several days by keeping them in the box. As soon as I eat the first pair I then put a small ziploc in the box and partially inflate it. This keeps the Poptarts from banging around and the box from collapsing. As I decrease the number of the Poptarts each day, I increase the size of the ziploc with a few breaths of fresh air. This method adds a little weight and volume to your pack but it saves you from eating tart dust every morning!

--BookBurner
    www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Good question.

I think that part of the answer is to look for food that can stand the beating. Bring along bagels instead of bread. Bring along tortillas and flat bread instead of other breads.

If you like poptarts, then keep them in the cardboard box.

Quote Originally Posted by BookBurner
    PopTarts are staples on all of my trips. They're heavy but so tasty! I keep them totally intact for several days by keeping them in the box. As soon as I eat the first pair I then put a small ziploc in the box and partially inflate it. This keeps the Poptarts from banging around and the box from collapsing. As I decrease the number of the Poptarts each day, I increase the size of the ziploc with a few breaths of fresh air. This method adds a little weight and volume to your pack but it saves you from eating tart dust every morning!

--BookBurner
    www.enlightenedthruhiker.com
    Maybe you could lose the box and bag the tarts with the air instead. Same purpose, one less item.
    "That's just like...your opinion, man." - The Dude

I routinely take food out of boxes and put it in baggies. This makes for easier packing, and the air cushion in the baggies helps protect the food.

Default poptarts

i met a hiker last season that kept her poptarts in a plastic container --- the plastic box for a vhs video. it's just the right proportion.

Default What about the Ritz?

What about Ritz Crackers?
    So far the only idea i've come up with is to use a lightweight food saver
    or better yet,save a pringles potato chip tube possibly reinforced with a
    spiralling roll of duct tape for structural integrity.
    I like the idea of inflating a ziploc for the poptarts if it holds air ok btw.
    Ideas like these are what i come here for anyway.(Not to engage certain
    boors about what macho marksmen/martial arts masters they are and why they intend to pack heat in the hiking community btw.)
    Also,any other useful camping tips would be nice.Somebody mentioned the
    vegetable net bag for a scrubbie and storage sack-now that's a two for one
    idea that can come to some good use.
    Cheers,
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I put my Fig Newtons in one of those short (and emptied out) Pringles chip tubes, or in one of the bigger the plastic Crystal Lite tubes. You shouldn't need to roll it in duct tape, although that can be where you store your tape.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 03-10-2005 at 11:42.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

tennis ball tubes and racquetball tubes work great for crackers, and almost weightless. Also for my seegars

Images

Default Keeping stuff from getting crushed

I've been using the Zip Lock brand tupperware style stuff. Comes in a variety of sizes, reasonably crush resistant, pretty lightweight, and waterproof, mostly. Also widely available at most grocery stores and inexpensive.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Round crackers tend to go well in one of the longer crystal light tubes...and I love me some crystal light.

Images

I support the previous posts with Prinkle cans and Crystal Light tubes. I have found that the Prinkle can tops have popped off but I put a small piece of duct tape on the top to make a hinge and that helped. One tube held up for 1200 miles.Prinkle will hold an entire sleeve of Ritz but the Crystal Light won't. I have stored eggs padded with napkins from a fast food restaurant in the Crystal Light Tube.

Mother Nature
    Sue Buak

Images

Eat it quickly and walk fast.
    Crumbs taste good when your thru hiking

++ New Posts ++