WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Depressed

Images

Default Depressed

Well, another spring has sprung and I haven't done my thru hike. I would have loved to hit Springer in March or April and started it, but as usual I find myself trapped at home by finances and work. I did get in a section hike in Georgia over spring break and I'll do Maryland and Pennsylvania this summer (I hope), nut just looking at May 7 on the calendar and knowing I've let another year slip by is depressing....sigh.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Hey Lemni, don't get too depressed. At least you are getting in some good section hiking.

Images

That is how I had to do the AT too. I would have loved to do a thru but you do what you gotta do. Enjoy your section hikes.
    WalkingStick"75"

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hey you're sectioning...what's wrong with that? Enjoy it!!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I feel the same way Lemni.

Images

Yeah, life has a way of interfering. When we moved up here in November we had grand visions of hiking every weekend. We've been out for one 3 day weekend. Every single weekend til the end of June (so far) is taken over by other obligations and my husband doesn't have the vacation time to take any more long weekends. Then our daughter gets married in July so there goes that month. So for now we're looking to August, September and October with maybe a chance to go out over the 4th of July weekend. In the meantime our gear sits spread all over the basement and mocks us every time we go by it.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

"don't make it bad, take a sad song and make it better"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    Well, another spring has sprung and I haven't done my thru hike. I would have loved to hit Springer in March or April and started it, but as usual I find myself trapped at home by finances and work. I did get in a section hike in Georgia over spring break and I'll do Maryland and Pennsylvania this summer (I hope), nut just looking at May 7 on the calendar and knowing I've let another year slip by is depressing....sigh.
    Lemni Skate- Sorry to hear your're feeling a bit low and hope you can complete that thru-hike in soon. Hang in there, but remember the folks who have never had the great opportunity you have to hike the A.T. You're experiences put you a head-above-the-rest!!

Images

I would have loved to have been into more of this life when I was young I am now looking at 8 years until retirement in which I call FREEDOM, that is the day my life begins anew.

I turn 50 on May 11th and thought I would be on the trail. I planned it 6 years ago be getting laid off this past winter and shoulder surgery changed everything! So talking to my wife I might section hike for a month every year. Better than not doing it. I know how you feel, but it will get better. Springer blues suck.

Images

Depressed is probably too strong for what I am. It's just a sense that I've managed to let another year get away. I am happy that I have a job (I know many don't) and lucky to have such a wonderful family.

I'm still 12 years from retirement, and I honestly have no goals except to get thru the 12 years. I know that's pathetic, but it's true. I don't want to be in the rat race and constantly trying to prove myself and get ahead. I've honestly proved to myself everything I ever needed to and now I just want to enjoy God's creation slowly. I also like trail folk. Love talking to them. They don't have expectations for you and let you be whatever you are. I like that and wish the whole world could be like that.
    Lemni Skate away

Images

It's been 2 1/2 years since this post. I'm 2 1/2 years closer to retirement. I still haven't thru-hiked, but I'm working on doing something rarer. Section hiking. I just read that only about 1/4 of the people who complete the trail are section hikers. So being a section hiker actually puts you in a more elite crowd than being a thru-hiker. My son and I are still thruing when I'm done with this teaching thing. However, if we've already knocked out or very nearly knocked out the AT, we might just to the PCT instead.
    Lemni Skate away

LS--I know what you mean about time flying and life intruding on the compleation of our dreams. Hang in there and keep dreaming. I think sectioning would be a good way to go even though you might not feel like it being a 'through hike'. I have to settle for short hikes. It seems to take a few days to settle into a routine where I feel good, stay well fed and hydrated, and sleep well. Five days or les and I am glad to see the car--after ten or so I would just as soon keep going. Maybe someday......

If you had thru-hiked 2.5 years ago, you'd still be faced with how you didn't thru-hike this year or didn't section hike enough or whatever. Thru-hiking changes nothing. It certainly doesn't cure the longing to be out on the trail, that's for sure.

Good for you for feeling better now than you did then.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If you had thru-hiked 2.5 years ago, you'd still be faced with how you didn't thru-hike this year or didn't section hike enough or whatever. Thru-hiking changes nothing. It certainly doesn't cure the longing to be out on the trail, that's for sure.
    That is for sure! I am wishing to be out on the trail soooooo much more now than before my thru.

hiking one LDT either makes you never want to stop or stop altogether

Images

The perseverance it takes to complete the trail as a thru hiker is well known but has anyone ever documented the sacrifices that are made yearly as a section hiker ?

Money spent on gas , time spent traveling , arrangement for shuttles , family schedule changes , etc. True , the section hiker has more time to complete the trail but at what cost ?
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

"life is what happens to you while you're making other plans."
    Since 1976 when I first stepped on the trail, its been a life goal to complete a thru hike. since then, college, marriage, kids and career would only enable me to section hike, and Ive completed about 2/3 of the northern half.over the past few years, after meeting and talking to a quite a few thru hikers, i finally decided that for me, Id rather do the trail in 2 sections. last year I asked my boss for 3 months off to hike from springer to DWG and he agreed, so I set a start date for march1, 2012, to hit DWG by memorial day.Next year, my younger daughter turns 21, my child support is done(although its never really done, just the legal aspect, shes still my daughter), and my expenses drop down big time. as Im turning 55 next april, I decided it would be the best year for my first half attempt.
    2 weeks ago my daughter told me she was pregnant for the 2nd time(she lost the first this past march) with a due date of may 30. we have a history of preemies on both sides of the family , so I assume she probably wont go full term, deliver sometime in May.
    Now we've also bought another dealership and my boss wants to promote me to manager, which would mean not taking the time off I want to for one of my last life goals. I havent yet decided what to do, still planning on a mmarch1 start date, but these newest developments do throw a monkey wrench into my plans(ed abbey fan).Im not depressed, but i am flusterd and dont know what I shold do. the "responsible "thing would be to postpone the hike, take care of business and daughter, but ...........

Journal Entries
    Images

Well form a long term plan based on two years - jump on a treadmill and work up to a new goal - and stick to it - stop whining about the minutia of life - for some its a circle. For you and me its a sign with "wrong turn..."

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

thanks, woo.im not whining though. its the constant challenges of life that make it meaningful.theres always plenty of hiking to do, and ive gotten quite a bit of satisfaction from my section hikes, have met plenty of great people, had my share of trail magic, and looking forward to more of the same, maybe even meet up with you on the trail sometime. its all good, its just life.and from what ive learned here on WB, flexibility is the key to both a good thru hike, and life in general.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++