WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mid-Layer Fleece Suggestions?

Does anyone have suggestions about a good fleece that I can wear under my shell to keep warm while hiking in a cold drizzle? I am looking for something that is lightweight, dries quickly, and is warm. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rabbit View Post
    Does anyone have suggestions about a good fleece that I can wear under my shell to keep warm while hiking in a cold drizzle? I am looking for something that is lightweight, dries quickly, and is warm. Thanks!
    You probably wont need a fleece while hiking, to hot. I like a lightweight base layer like a terramar.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Images

This looks like it should do the trick, cheaply: http://www.amazon.com/Turfer-Mens-Po.../dp/B00022IB8Y

Looks like the rating concerns were about size, so consider the comments. I like a zippered front fleece for a mid-layer because you can raise/lower the zipper to regulate body temperature (as well as your shell zipper). In looking at alternatives, keep in mind not all fleece is created equal (nor priced that way either). The weight in fleece (thickness of weave) is expressed typically as 100, 200, 300 with 100 being thinner and more breathable and 300 being very thick and hardly breathable at all.
    On past winter excursions I have used a zippered 100 fleece as my mid-layer under my shell, and when I cool down in camp and start to get cold I add a second pull-over 200 fleece. With two layers of fleece under my wind-proof shell, I'm comfortable down into the teens.

Yeah, Im looking for something to keep me warm during breaks and cooking and possibly hiking till I get warmed up. Maybe a 200?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    You probably wont need a fleece while hiking, to hot. I like a lightweight base layer like a terramar.
    Nice alternative! Some people may not like the tight, spandex feel though. I kinda like loose fitting clothes on my big fat body!

Images

I am quite pleased with my R-2 Patagonia fleece which is considered a 200 weight fleece. It combines fleece with breathable material under the arms and is quite comfy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rabbit View Post
    Yeah, Im looking for something to keep me warm during breaks and cooking and possibly hiking till I get warmed up. Maybe a 200?
    As you will see, outfitter store prices can go quite high: http://www.rei.com/search?query=men%27s+fleece+jackets

Then there's Amazon and places like JCPenneys: http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?...u=710491b285ad

I got lucky and got my zippered one (main one I use) off the REI sales rack for $12!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lands end makes some good fleece, though I'd consider it lightweight. I have my Terramar midweight one I got at the outfitter at Daleville for years and two hikes.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Patagonia Cap 3. Personally, I think a mid layer fleece is overkill for most hiking, even if its chilly/rainy as you will likely sweat it out. I was comfortable hiking in my Patagonia Cap 1 under a rain jacket in pretty much any cold/wet conditions (30s and snowing or 40s and raining) I faced on the trail. Also, the Cap 1 dries very quickly. I saved my Cap 3 for in camp. Also, consider a Cap 1 like layer with a synthetic shirt over top and then a rain jacket for if you are particularly chilly.

Images

Eddie Bauer has had a lot of sales lately. You can get a cloud layer 1/4 zip for $30 if you can find a 40% off deal which they had on Monday.

I strongly suggest you check out your local goodwill,
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Stupid phone. I strongly suggest you check out your local goodwill, salvation army, or savers. These are 2nd hand stores and you can find all manners of fleece pullovers, jackets, shirts, as well as wool and other synthetic clothing. I just had a savers open up near me and have scored some really nice wool shirts and sweaters for just 3-5 bucks each.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

The only fleece I've gotten lately that I paid full price for was at RIs Ocean State Job Lot. It was a blaze jacket.

Most of my fleece I buy at the local Salvation army. You can find all sorts of sizes, prints, and fabric weights. Most cost $5.00 or so.

A base layer should be tight.
    A mid layer should be loose enough to allow air to flow from the bottom hem up through the neck.
    Full zips are better for venting.
    Adding a windbreaker (or rain shell if that's what you have) will get a hiker essentially three garments from two - each one worn alone depending upon the weather, and both together for the third garment.
    Fleece often dries faster than shelled, insulated jackets because the wind can blow right through it (which, again, makes it a good idea to use a shell).
    If you're tempted to buy "windproof" fleece, be aware that only half of the material is windproof, the barrier being sandwiched between two fleece layers. Using a separate wind shell gives better wind proofness and more versatility.
    As you can tell, I'm a big fan of fleece (even though it is relatively heavy it is very versatile).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

All great info.! I have a marmot precip., just looking for the best system to use under it for all weather. Im not too worried about warmth while hiking. Im just looking for something to keep me warm while I take breaks and stop to eat lunch without having to put on my down jacket especially while I am wet from rain or sweat.

Your origonal post said while hiking, that is why I said a light weight base layer.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    Stupid phone. I strongly suggest you check out your local goodwill, salvation army, or savers. These are 2nd hand stores and you can find all manners of fleece pullovers, jackets, shirts, as well as wool and other synthetic clothing. I just had a savers open up near me and have scored some really nice wool shirts and sweaters for just 3-5 bucks each.
    It depends where you live. I've checked out the places near me frequently and only found one synthetic shirt. One day I decided to visit most of the places in San Diego COUNTY. It was a complete bust. The gas money I wasted would have been better spent on buying a new fleece.

Actually, I did find one wool sweater. It was a blend, and not a very good one. It was in a small size and had holes. I also found a lot of wool at a military surplus store, but it was quite expensive.

++ New Posts ++