WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default ULA Circuit vs. Osprey Atmos 65

I am trying to decide on a new pack. I have narrowed it down between the ULA Circuit and Osprey Atmos 65. Both are similar in capacity. Circuit is lighter, Atmos is on sale so is cheaper right now. My total weight including food and water is 25 lbs. My current pack is a ULA Catalyst and I have no complaints other than it is too large for my needs. Any opinions on both packs are welcome. Is the extra weight of the osprey worth anything? Is it more comfortable than the Circuit. Does it carry the load any better?

Images

i can only vouch for the atmos, which Ive been happy with for 2 years.but if youve already been happy with ULA, i assume you'll get more support here for the circuit, because of the weight.

Hike smarter, not harder.

The Circuit is a wonderful pack. I use mine 99 times out of 100 instead of my Catalyst. And you're helping pay the salaries of workers in Utah. Designed by a thru-hiker, for thru-hikers. What more do you need to know?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Given your total weight, have you considered the Ohm 2.0? Same as the regular Ohm, but with the more comfortable hip belt from the Circuit. Assuming your gear is mostly compact to go along with the light weight, you might find it a good size.

I have both the Ohm and the Circuit. The Ohm is larger than I was expecting, and while the Circuit is even larger, it's not as much of a difference as I thought. The Ohm has a great compression system, an easy drawstring top opening, and a stretchy front mesh pocket that holds a lot more gear than one might think. The only reason I prefer the Circuit is that it holds my bulkier winter bag and clothing, and it'll handle about ten more pounds when needed. Both are terrific packs.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Given your total weight, have you considered the Ohm 2.0? Same as the regular Ohm, but with the more comfortable hip belt from the Circuit. Assuming your gear is mostly compact to go along with the light weight, you might find it a good size.

I have both the Ohm and the Circuit. The Ohm is larger than I was expecting, and while the Circuit is even larger, it's not as much of a difference as I thought. The Ohm has a great compression system, an easy drawstring top opening, and a stretchy front mesh pocket that holds a lot more gear than one might think. The only reason I prefer the Circuit is that it holds my bulkier winter bag and clothing, and it'll handle about ten more pounds when needed. Both are terrific packs.
    I think I would prefer a pack the size of the Circuit or the Atmos 65 for the reason you stated, that it could handle 10 more pounds if needed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TapRack View Post
    I think I would prefer a pack the size of the Circuit or the Atmos 65 for the reason you stated, that it could handle 10 more pounds if needed.
    In that case I would choose the Circuit over the Osprey pack. I've owned several Osprey packs, and my lovely wife uses an Ariel 55, but I find the Circuit better for long distance hiking.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'm gonna go with the circuit for long distance and here's why: http://www.ula-equipment.com/product...aday/index.asp

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TapRack View Post
    Atmos is on sale so is cheaper right now.

Tap, where is it on sale? Hubby sold his to his dad and needs to buy another.

He loves his - I've decided on the Circuit for myself.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

++ New Posts ++