WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Got to ask - Wildlife - every advertisement & Photo of a Wolf is a Husky....WHY?

I had a unique experience several years ago I was sitting on a park bench and I never heard a thing. I saw motion and turned and I am looking up at the damn biggest dog ( bigger than a Irish Hound) in my life... the rare domesticated WOLF. Almost crapped right there.

What is that ? Sorry doesn't look at all like a Husky, The Park Ranger was avoiding the "no dog law" with a domestic Wolf. Wow! great memorable moment. - wish I had a pic.

It did not look like the Husky at all.

Thoughts?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I've seen a wolfdog at a dog park, it was behaving just fine but the site of it scared the hell out of me. I think there's something hardwired into the primitive part of our brain that still makes us instinctively fear wolves. A friend of mine pointed out that adult domestic dogs share characteristics with wolf pups and more closely juvenile wolve than adult wolves, I suspect this is the result of humans selecting for domestic animals don't strike us as looking quite so scary.

Here are some photos about domestic wolves, specifically wolf dog hybrids.

http://dogbreedinfo.com/wolfhybred.htm

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ya know you read about stuff as a young kid "Red Riding Hood" and we are scared at an early age - not knowing what one looks like - if I had been in Europe a hundred years ago and ran into a pack of those - cause it appeared the size of a pony - wow - and I watch others jump up and down doing the hebi gebi dance over a stinkbug or mouse.

I have often commented that WB is about the latest fear in posts.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I have often commented that WB is about the latest fear in posts.
    Totally agree, news cycles always work that way.

Still there's just something visceral about the fear we have of a wolf. I didn't even know what one looked like until I saw a wolf-dog, but it scared me in a way that few things do. I'm just glad I've never come across the real thing while solo hiking.

To your original point, this is probably why they use huskies instead of wolves in advertising. Otherwise people would probably see an image that would throw them into a fight or flight response.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    ... I saw motion and turned and I am looking up at the damn biggest dog ( bigger than a Irish Hound) in my life... the rare domesticated WOLF. ...Thoughts?
    But most wolves are not over 100 lbs. Many domestic dog breeds are bigger than wolves.

Journal Entries
    Images

Good point - I am going to have to go back and make a friend with that guy and get a pic... I have been kicking myself for four years for not having a pic of the animal.

Woo

Images

WOO, if you ever get the chance to attend any of the Native American Pow-Wows in the area, keep your eyes open - there are usually one or two folks in attendence who will have a wolf with them. (Note: some are wolf hybrids, but I can think of at least 2 that are pure-bred wolf.) These are NOT kept as "pets" per se, and can usually be identified by their "aloofness" around people - most will "tolerate" strangers, but the normal "friendliness" of a husky or malamute just isn't there. We've never seen any aggression in these animals, but - as a dog owner - if I had an aggressive animal, I would leave it at home, and I'm sure that this is the case here as well. Socialization....

Because my wife and I smell like a "pack" of huskies, we usually get a bit more attention from these animals than the regular passersby, BUT when WE present ourselves to these animals, it is done with a certain body language that is recognisable to canines/lupines as "non-threatening/inquisitive", and we are usually met with the same. The reactions of both the wolf and other passersby ("OMG - look at those CRAZY people....") are exactly as expected!

There is a wolf rescue organization somewhere in the Lancaster County area (near Denver, Pa., I think) and they are sometimes in attendence - they have the nicest 15/16 wolf female that they bring with them...a real sweetheart, very docile, tolerates people extremely well. I wish I could remember the name of the group, but it escapes me right now.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    But most wolves are not over 100 lbs. Many domestic dog breeds are bigger than wolves.
    Irish wolfhound is!!! the size of a pony. Goofy looking and mellow, but I wouldn't want one angry with me.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Why? Because advertising feeds to its intended audience. Mostly gullible.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Typically wolves are very aloof and fearful of humans. They will watch from a distance and be very inquisitive and actually study humans but are very shy to interact. I have been fortunate enough to see 14 of them in the wild and everytime it is breathtaking, a true honor just to view them. Usually when they realize that they have been seen, they run but will find cover and then watch you for a while. This past Sept. on my yearly wilderness canoe trip I found deer swimming in rapids ahead of me and found wolves on shore hunting...2 different days, 2 different sections of the river. Amazing just to get to see one of them. I KNOW that more wolves have seen me than I saw of them.lol
    I think that the main difference I have seen between wolves and dogs are their eyes. They have a beauty and sense of mystery in them that just isn't present in domesticated dogs eyes.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Shelterbuilder good to know.

Woo

Images

As a predator-species, MAN tends to be somewhat intimidated by other predator-species...not so much by non-predator-species. The fact that, as Jim says, the wolves will "study" people is somewhat unnerving to most folks ("Why is that wolf looking at me? What is he planning?"), but for a predator, knowledge of the environment is crucial to survival.

As for advertising and photo-ops, I think that W.C. Fields said it best: "Never work with animals and small children!"
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

I have seen a real wolf in the wild when I was on a Colorado pass in the mountains, It was the size of a husky

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    There is a wolf rescue organization somewhere in the Lancaster County area (near Denver, Pa., I think) and they are sometimes in attendence - they have the nicest 15/16 wolf female that they bring with them...a real sweetheart, very docile, tolerates people extremely well. I wish I could remember the name of the group, but it escapes me right now.
    Wolf Sanctuary of PA, in northern Lancaster County. Really cool place, the owners love to give tours and educate the public. http://www.wolfsancpa.com/

To answer the question, or at least to guess at it, I suspect that well trained huskies are cheaper to rent than well trained wolves.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++