WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Hammock newbie (possibly) question...

I'm assuming this has been covered in a previous thread, but couldn't locate it via search so please bear with me...

I am trying to decide whether or not a hammock will work for me, based on the following:

I most always end up sleeping on my side through the night... not sure if I could always stay asleep on my back only. Will this be a problem?

I am addicted to my neo air. Will this work in a hammock though?

Don't guess there's any easy way to test out a hammock before purchase?

--
    I really like the idea and freedom of a hammock... just not sure if it would work for me. Thanks in advance for the help.

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Although you can use a pad in a hammock, I only seen/heard of people using closed cell foam pads. There's no real point in a neo air because the hammock already shapes itself you your body and cushions you. I have slept on my side in a hammock, with my knees bent so I'm propped up using only about half the hammock. I was comfy, but no guarantee you will be. I think your best bet is to find someone who will loan you one or buy a cheap one and test it out.

Images

I am a side sleeper, but in a hammock I end up sleeping on a back all night. Very comfortably, I might add. When I do take my hammock (in the summer, on solo trips), I get the most comfortable night's sleep ever.

As noted above, a closed cell foam pad can work for bottom insulation, but a Neo Air probably won't. Too thick, too hard to stay on top of it, and you won't need that cushioning. In the summer I take a 3/4 Ridgerest pad, which is plenty.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

thanks all. i guess short of getting to lay in one for an over-nighter to test my comfort level, i just can't bring myself to spend the money. Do most of you hammock hangers bring a second mattress for shelter sleeping? I know a 3/4 wouldn't cut it in a shelter for me...

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Images

I too am a side sleeper , but never had any problem sleeping on my side in a hammock . In fact , there hasn't been any problem falling asleep on my back either.
    You might want to consider buying a cheap closed cell pad or a 3/4 self inflated .

I have a Eno double nest which can be picked up brand new for $ 65 at REI but the slap straps I have found to be to a POS .

I'm looking to attend trail days in May where hammock vendors will be having their product set up for test purposes for perspective buyers.
    There's also a hammock hang in Pine Grove Furance ST. Park in the spring sometime . Go over to Hammock forums www.hammockforum.com for other hangs in your area.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

You can find tons of information on the sister site Hammockforums. They usually have a thread going listing places they are going to do group hangs. Many of those folks would be happy to show you their hammock and some may even let you test it for size and comfort. Take a look. There may be on near you.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

You can use a pad in a hammock.
    I lie on my side nearly exclusively.
    This is easiest if you have a hammock with no bug netting attached. You simply put your head over the edge of the hammock and let the material cradle your head. A small scrap of closed cell foam helps to cushion the edge. In warm weather you can add a bug net "stocking" to surround your hammock and you'll still be able to do this if you guy the bug net out from the hammock a bit. You can use a pebble inside the netting to hold a guy line which can then be attached to the tarp or a stake, or you can simply decide where you'd need loops and sew them to the netting.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Megapixel View Post
    thanks all. i guess short of getting to lay in one for an over-nighter to test my comfort level, i just can't bring myself to spend the money. Do most of you hammock hangers bring a second mattress for shelter sleeping? I know a 3/4 wouldn't cut it in a shelter for me...
    I carry a piece of closed cell foam, which fits the inside dimensions of my pack and forms a "frame" (I have a frameless pack). the piece is 33"x18-1/2". I used it only once in a shelter for half the night when a moose seemed to take a special interest in me and my hammock, circling it a couple of times. I retreated. The hammock survived unscathed.

The pad was not comfortable, but I fell asleep anyhow (hiking long distances can make one very tired).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

im 6-3 and sleep on my side without legs bent. that was in a HH Explorer. i now have a 12' hammock 64" wide. more then enough room for me and my 70lb lab. i quit using pads in a hammock in 2008. i use quilts, so can't help you with that.
    i've been to -5 with quilts. pads in the winter can be touchy.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

I'm 6'0" and at home usually sleep on my stomach, so I was worried about sleeping in a hammock. Bit the bullet and bought a Hennessy Hammock Ultralite Backpacker and haven't regretted it at all. I am able to sleep comfortably on my side and back without issues. Never slept better. Hennessy will give you your money back if you aren't happy with it (within two weeks of recipt.)

In cold temps I sleep on a Solite Thermarest closed cell pad. (One side of the Solite is aluminized, which reflects heat back to the body.) I've heard good things about down quilts.

The bug netting is a must for me. It doesn't hamper my ability to sleep on my side.
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

I am primarily a stomach/side sleeper.Got a black bird and had no problem sleeping on my back.I find now i spend more time on my back at home in my bed.Ive graduated to a bottom quilt and love it.Still keep a peice of foam for my feet and sitting on.Have a bad back and i dont know if i could sleep on the ground without problems.Check hammock forum,there are hammock hangs were you can try multiple hammocks before deciding on one.Good luck.
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
    Images

Modern hammocks allow you to sleep on your side comfortably. Visit the hammock forum and find someone in your area that will let you try their hammock. I did and it helped me decide to buy my BB.
    Everyone's first question:
    "Wow - How tall are you?"
    Answer: "I'm 6'6""
    Ergo, my trail name: 'Six-Six'

I use a Hennessy Hammocks Ultralight Backpacker. I also use a Neoair pad/mattress inside the hammock. It works for me. I even sleep on my side at times.

That being said...

Is the Neoair the best pad for use in a hammock--definitely not. This is especially true for the bottom-entry Hennessy Hammocks. It is a real pain in the butt to wrestle with the pad to get it--and you--into the right position for comfortable sleeping. All of the wrestling is also pretty rough on the Neoair. I am surprised that I have never punctured or popped mine while wrestling with it. It would be a little easier with a top or side entry hammock.

Where I hike, there are some nights where I simply cannot "hang" in my hammock. I am forced to setup my hammock on the ground or sleep in a shelter. Therefore, I continue to carry my Neoair for those times (it is also smaller and lighter than most other pads). I also carry a piece of Tyvek as a groundcloth to place under the hammock when I setup on the ground--or to place under the Neoair on a shelter floor to protect it from abrasion and punctures
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    You can use a pad in a hammock. I lie on my side nearly exclusively.
    Ditto. I use a pad and sleep on my side nearly exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
    Although you can use a pad in a hammock, I only seen/heard of people using closed cell foam pads....
    My experience is the opposite. CCF pads don't "give" or bend and adapt to the curve of a hammock the way a partially inflated air mattress does. Though I do take a small piece of CCF with me as a sitting pad. At night it goes in the hammock with me and if I get a cold spot (knees, butt, back, whatever), that's where I slide it. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Is the Neoair the best pad for use in a hammock--definitely not. This is especially true for the bottom-entry Hennessy Hammocks. It is a real pain in the butt to wrestle with the pad to get it--and you--into the right position for comfortable sleeping. ... It would be a little easier with a top or side entry hammock.
    Agreed, and thus the reason I had my HH modified with zippers. Problem solved.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I decided about a year and a half ago or so to take the plunge into hammocks. I have been extremely happy since doing so. I decided to buy a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double as my first hammock, commonly abbreviated as WBBB. I am a stomach sleeper and side sleeper at home. Once I learned how to properly hang my hammock at the correct angle etc I have been able to sleep on my back very comfortably in my hammock. However, the first few times I used my hammock it took me a long time to fall asleep on my back and so my first few nights i slept on my side just fine, and even on my stomach once. A hammock with a pretty flat lay is essential for side and stomach sleeping. I found the WBBB with its footbox to really help with this, and I hear bridge hammocks are good for this as well.

Now, pads and hammocks. Most people say pads in a single layer hammock are a PITA. I have no experience with this since I have only used a double layer hammock where you can put a pad between the layers to prevent it from sliding around. I own 3 pads, a ccf pad, a thermarest prolite 4 regular, and a neoair large. I used all 3 successfully in my hammock, but as the temps droped I found the ccf and prolite lacking due to their width, yes there are ways around this but i did not feel like cutting up my pads. So enter neoair. After trying the neoair in my hammock I began to use it solely until just recently when I purchased underquilts.

The neoair worked just fine, I found that inflating it only about 1/2 way worked the best for me. I had no issues whatsoever with the neoair, it also gave me a go to ground option if for whatever reason i couldn't or didn't want to hang my hammock (such as using a shelter). So to answer your question the neoair works perfectly fine in a hammock, but other than using it in a WBBB I have no idea, but would assume it would work well also. I have been comfortable to about 20 degrees using my neoair in the hammock, I have not tried to use it below 20 because I have underquilts which I prefer now. I was very comfortable at 20F however and would think I could have gone a little lower.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

I use a 3/4 self inflatable pad inside my ENO, I sleep on my side and back,

I have an idea .........

For a beginner, especially - either buy 2 cheap hammocks for winter use and put one inside the other with a foam pad in between, or make a second hammock (strength is not important) to fit under the store-bought one just to hold the pad up against the bottom of the "real" hammock. Use light shock cord and cord locks to adjust the bottom hammock to make sure that the pad doesn't slip.

Images

Keep in mind that the only resaon for any pad is insulation against cold. I use a ccf pad and it can be a pain, but I have also slept in temps to 16 degrees with a 20 degree bag and a hammock sock, which is basically a cloth bag you pull up and surround yourself with.
    Gypsy 04

Images

I sleep on my belly or my side in my WB double bottom and can use a neoair pad a CCF etc without any problem

Images

I use an exped inflatable air mattress in my hammock. The mattress both provides bottom insulation and it helps prevent shoulder squeeze. Until I got the proper angle worked out I had some issues with the mattress, my sleeping bag and myself all sliding to the foot but never had any issues staying on the mattress. I sleep on my side at home and in the hammock and have had no problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++