WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Anyone bring Musical Instruments on the AT??

I'm starting in March thru hiking for the first time. Music is my meditation, or medication, haha. I know i'm going to be singing and whistlng the whole way and I'm definately bringing my harmonica. But i also reeeeeeaaallly want to bring my violin. I don't know if I can stand to be separated from her for five or six months. The dampness would probably ruin her though, but has anyone brought any other instruments on the AT other than a harmonica? Ukulele perhaps? ANYTHING?

Someone had a cello last year.

Images

I know I couldn't bring anything that took any wind to blow.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

I knew a cellist who had a list of people along the trail he could visit to play their cello. I think his wife would bring his cello when she came to visit. He had to keep practicing because he was a professional and didn't want to lose his callouses. If you are just a casual player, you really don't need your violin. It seems like a good idea now, but honestly you won't really have enough time to play it. You'll be too busy hiking, dealing with daily chores, hanging out and talking with people, getting your town chores done. Even if you did have time, you might feel that you don't want to break the silence or alter the mood or put the spotlight on yourself that way.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Someone tried a SOBO with a tuba one year.

The only instrument that should be brought and played on the AT is the air guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Someone had a cello last year.
    And never made it out of Georgia with it. If you had seen it and the amp which went with it, you'd know why.

Guitar's, banjo's, ukulele's, mandalin's, seen and heard them all. Some good, most bad. Haven't really seen or heard many harmonicas or other wind insturments like a tin whisle or recorder, which would seem to be a natural.

Violin, I think that would be a first. But even if your really good at it, I'm not sure I'd want to be around a solo violin. They work better as part of a blue grass band.

Seeing some one with a string insturment on thier back near Springer is not uncommon. To see them still carrying it half way through NC is very uncommon.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Bagpipes! Crowded shelter? Whip them out....Especially if you don't play well.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

I carry my claves in my back pocket and whip them out for any jam session.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Consider how many hiker make a concentrated effort to shave ounces off the gear they NEED to make it to from GA to ME and consider how many pounds you'd be adding. Also keep in mind that many stringed instruments have metal strings and wood necks and bodies which don't like high humidity much less getting rained on. I've been considering a bamboo ukulele from Cordoba that my store has on clearance but even then replacement string would be a pain and the glues used to hold the instrument together aren't going to be immune even if the woods are. Then you have other hikers to consider and how much energy you have left by the time you make it where you are going. I've been a musician for 14 of my 26 years including the last 8 years which I've been working with the same music instrument retailer. My 2012 NOBO will be my first time away from my gear for over 2 weeks since I picked up the stuff but I don't imagine I'll be away from music for too long. Between weekend hikers and guitars in hostels I'm sure I'll have plenty of chances to strum a few chords. Maybe the break from music willbe refreshing to me, but I doubt I'll go so long between run ins with fellow axemen that it'll be an issue. Just my thoughts.

Images

I wouldn't really want to hear anything, personally. I guess it depends on the situation.

Images

Everything you have is going to get soaking wet, and I don't think that is going to do any musical instrument any good. Personally, I don't want to listen to music while I'm out in the woods, I'd rather hear the sounds provided by nature.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by imaginateer View Post
    ...I'm definately bringing my harmonica.
    A wise man once told me that the only time a harmonica has perfect pitch is the sound it makes hitting the bottom of a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Bagpipes!
    Really, the bagpipes are a greatly misunderstood instrument. For instance did you know that the Scots got the bagpipes as a gift from the Irish. All these centuries later, and they still haven't gotten the joke.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

I fart a lot, music enough for me
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    A wise man once told me that the only time a harmonica has perfect pitch is the sound it makes hitting the bottom of a dumpster.

I heard that perfect pitch is when you throw the banjo and don't hit the sides of the garbage can.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Bagpipes! Crowded shelter? Whip them out....Especially if you don't play well.
    Ye dinna need to worry. Nae but a Scot will knae if ye play the pipes well, and he will forgive a Sassenach who tries.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

bring the violin! i think itd be awesome to hear out there!!. im noboing next year. hope to hear you someday

El Sordo
    Images

someone has painted in a guitar with a bar through it on the sign at Blue Ridge Gap in GA. kinda sums up most peoples opinions of instruments in shelters. nothing quite like someone who can't play, but insists on doing so anyway around the campfire.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Ye dinna need to worry. Nae but a Scot will knae if ye play the pipes well, and he will forgive a Sassenach who tries.

TW
    AYE!

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post

TW
    Captain! The dilthium crystals can't handle warp 8 much longer. The ship's going to blow any minute now!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++