WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Red Wings

Default Red Wings

Does anyone here do any hiking in a pair of red wing boots? I work mon - fri in a pair of 9" loggers (high heal motorcycle style) and its a very comfortable boot for driving, standing, crouching down all day. Very water proof, full leather, thinsulate lining with vibram soles. Im interested in how work boots hold up for hiking?

they hold up just fine but the extra weight on the feet slows you down and tires out your legs

I hiked in Red Wing boot from 1959 thru about 1968. They WERE heavy and even heavier when they got wet.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

I thought this was a hockey thread! I was so excited! LOL

Images

Ha ha -- you could do a hike in these if you had to but you can do much better by your feet as a backpacker with trail runners or lightweight backpacking specific boots (if you insist) - save the redwings for work

Quote Originally Posted by B35653 View Post
    Does anyone here do any hiking in a pair of red wing boots? I work mon - fri in a pair of 9" loggers (high heal motorcycle style) and its a very comfortable boot for driving, standing, crouching down all day. Very water proof, full leather, thinsulate lining with vibram soles. Im interested in how work boots hold up for hiking?
    Done 1K miles in Red Wings, flats. no high heals, no thinsulate...ect....had the vibram soles....
    Old school they are.....got to take care of em....grease them up.....
    They'll last a life time....but for hiking????
    Option out for something else if they don't work for you.

Heels, Heels, Heels - That's the thing that caught my attention.

High heels will catch on rocks and roots on the trail and send you sprawling, plus they raise your foot higher which makes them less stable.

Ed Garvey thruhiked wearing mainly Redwing boots, but his were of the low heeled variety (and low top, too - 6" I think he said in his 1978 book).

The old adage is that a pound on your feet is like 5 on your back. I had custom Limmer boots which fit like a glove but weigh (I still have, but don't use, them) 6 lbs. I blame the weight for causing some joint instability in an injured knee. Every time I lifted my left foot I could feel my knee joint separate a little bit.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

It's my understanding that Vasgue Hiking Boots and Shoes is a division of Red Wing. Just like Merrell is a division of Wolverine. I wear wolverine durashock 6" work boots for work and Merrell trail shoes for hiking. The work boots are too heavy for hiking IMO. But as they say, Hike Your Own Hike. Whatever works for YOU.
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

If you like your Redwing work boots try looking at a pair a of Vasque's They are the Hiking brand made by RedWing. As far as hiking in work boots use what ever your comfortable wearing. If your used to walking around all day in them they would work just fine for weekend and short hikes. If they are steel toed I would shy away from them other wise you will chew socks up like a toothing puppy. For a number of years my outdoor boots where a pair of 9" wolverine work boots I used for both work and sport because I couldn't afford buy a good pair for both work and sport. I made sure to keep the water repellant finish fresh and had no issues with weight gain from water and I put ton miles on them hiking and hunting in all kinds of weather year round. alot of long distance speed hikers will push the running shoe style down your throat but go with what your comfortable with.
    "Work sucks! I'm going to the mountains."

I also Wear redwings everyday, and would not consider hiking in them, not enough traction, and the steel toe would be murder while climbing,
    I have worn Vasque, and loved them, though I hear complaints of quality problems because of the relocation of the factory to PRC.
    I'm split, I wear boots all the time, In the Navy I had the same boots on 18 hours a day every day for months on end, and I dont feel comfortable in trail runners, or sneakers for that matter.

Now about Red wing. if you really like the boots you have, and go to an actual full service redwing store, they can tell you which of their boots will fit the same at your work boots, and if they carry Vasque they should be able to do the same for them. I Like Vasque Clarion for hiking, and 420's for work.

Best of luck
    HT1

++ New Posts ++