WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    El Sordo
    Images

yeah, I could do that. What's the plan, go south up creek on the TN side then cross to Bobs Bald and down Slickrock to Nichols Cove and Yellowhammer to Ike Branch?
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Well I was thinking of looking over the side trails. I know there are too many crossings along Slickrock for that to be a viable bypass. I was thinking start at Tapoco take Slickrock Creek Trail to Ike Branch, Ike Branch to Hangover Lead Trail, Hangover Lead to Saddle Tree Gap and the intersection with Haoe Lead Trail. I think there was a shortcut around there that use to go up to Naked Ground from there, but my map doesn't show it. According to my map we would have to stay on Haover Lead down Deep Creek Trail, then back up it again to Roc Creek Knob, Jenkins Meadow, and finally up to Naked Ground.

From Naked Ground I'd go down Slickrock Creek Trail to the intersection of Nichols Cove Trail and then take it up until it intersected with Yellowhammer Gap Trail. Then follow Yellowhammer Gap Trail back to the BMT and out at Tapoco again.

Going the long way (if there isn't a short cut) it looks to be about 31 miles. If there is a short cut, then it would be less by about 10 miles I think.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

El Sordo
    Images

south on Hangover Lead? I went north and as I recall I was practically swinging from tree to tree on my way down slope. I was thinking of staying out of Big Fat Gap altogether and just coming down Slickrock Creek to the campsite by the creek and then taking Nichols Cove out of there. To go north I figured we could cross Slickrock one time at the BMT crossing and then heading up to the turn of for Stratton Meadows on the BMT. If you have your heart set on going south on Hangover Lead I'll go in from Maple Springs and meet you at the trail junction past Jenkins Meadow. My map doesn't show it, but I recall a trail from around Saddle Tree Gap that connected with the Hangover Lead Trail which would then take you to Naked Ground and then down Slickrock to the Junction with Nichols Cove. That's the part of Slickrock Creek that TW refers to as the "nutbuster" I believe. It's also the part I haven't Hiked and I'm guessing it either doesn't cross Slickrock or it's high enough the the crossings would be manageable even in high water. Pick a time and we'll meet up and go over our maps and figure it out. I had and lost a small scale map of that area, so I'm using NGS # 781.
    Dyslexics Untie!

El Sordo
    Images

south on Hangover Lead? I went north and as I recall I was practically swinging from tree to tree on my way down slope. I was thinking of staying out of Big Fat Gap altogether and just coming down Slickrock Creek to the campsite by the creek and then taking Nichols Cove out of there. To go north I figured we could cross Slickrock one time at the BMT crossing and then heading up to the turn of for Stratton Meadows on the BMT. If you have your heart set on going south on Hangover Lead I'll go in from Maple Springs and meet you at the trail junction past Jenkins Meadow. My map doesn't show it, but I recall a trail from around Saddle Tree Gap that connected with the Hangover Lead Trail which would then take you to Naked Ground and then down Slickrock to the Junction with Nichols Cove. That's the part of Slickrock Creek that TW refers to as the "nutbuster" I believe. It's also the part I haven't Hiked and I'm guessing it either doesn't cross Slickrock or it's high enough the the crossings would be manageable even in high water. Pick a time and we'll meet up and go over our maps and figure it out. I had and lost a small scale map of that area, so I'm using NGS # 781.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

We need Walter to be our guide and Sherpa.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

El Sordo
    Images

especially sherpa.

It's been about 10 years since I did that hike and I've got conflicting memories now. I can't recall if I hiked up to Yellowhammer and then took the connector to Nichols Cove or if I took Nichols Cove from right at the campsite. I think I was using Homans book, but I seem to have misplaced it. Not the BMT one, but I think there was one for Citico and Slickrock which had most of those trails mentioned as well as more then I will ever know about the flora and fauna of the area.

Anyway, if you've got some time free, let's see what we can come up with.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Thanks for the great input everyone, very good info. SGT Rock, I just got your thru-hiker's guide in the mail today, looks fantastic, will definitely put it to good use next month.

Images

If work offer doesn't pan out I may see you out there. Sounds like fords aren't too bad. Was thinking of the crotch deep ones on PCT. Cold > Pins & needles pain > numb. Only problem was you had to go thru pins & needles once you got out.Picture or Video 952.jpg

Images

I think I recall a sign at the top of the Hangover Lead trail that said "Abandon all hope ye who enter here". That was about 26 years ago though.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    If work offer doesn't pan out I may see you out there. Sounds like fords aren't too bad. Was thinking of the crotch deep ones on PCT. Cold > Pins & needles pain > numb. Only problem was you had to go thru pins & needles once you got out.Picture or Video 952.jpg
    BMT fords in January will most likely be as cold. They won't likely be any wider than in the picture to posted, but will likely be moving faster if cold winter rains and snow live up to the norm.

I'd rather start the BMT around the first day of Spring. Still might see snow even then, but overall a good bit warmer, and still not much traffic.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    especially sherpa....
    Anyway, if you've got some time free, let's see what we can come up with.
    I'm looking at a couple of dates in January.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I found my 1980 map of the Slickrock Wildernes, much more detail on that part of the area. Very cool.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I've been hearing that BMT fords are substantially more challenging than AT fords usually are, i.e. no bridges or rock-hopping. Has anyone ever come to a ford where the water was so high that you literally had to call it a day and wait to see if it was more passable the next day?

Images

Not yet. I have had one pair of hikers that had to turn around at Slickeock this year, but they were the first I know of in 3 years of doing the thru-hikers' guide. It really isn't as big an issue as it seems to be.

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Yes, sort of. I barely made it across slickrock, and only because I spent 2 nights in Green Cove as the days of 100% chance of heavy rain continued. The folks at the store were nice and had printed out weather reports for everyone to see, since all the fishermen were asking.
    I didn't leave until the Tellico dropped over 18 inches and took my time getting to Slickrock.
    If I hadn't I would have had to camp out at Slickrock instead of hanging out in Green cove eating canned fruit cocktail and microwave frozen hamburgers (which tastes much better when you don't have to carry the extra weight).

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bati View Post
    Yes, sort of. I barely made it across slickrock, and only because I spent 2 nights in Green Cove as the days of 100% chance of heavy rain continued. The folks at the store were nice and had printed out weather reports for everyone to see, since all the fishermen were asking.
    I didn't leave until the Tellico dropped over 18 inches and took my time getting to Slickrock.
    If I hadn't I would have had to camp out at Slickrock instead of hanging out in Green cove eating canned fruit cocktail and microwave frozen hamburgers (which tastes much better when you don't have to carry the extra weight).
    I got lucky and hurt my leg and had to get off the trail in Green Cove and had the good pleasure to spend a night and day with Rick and Brenda Harris in Tellico Plains. It poured down rain the 3 days before I got there - when I got to Slickrock Creek it was crotch deep and muddy.

Had I not hurt my leg and came off the trail for 36 hours I would have had to stop at the creek I'm sure. If I'm not mistaken, a day or so before I got there a guy did get washed down the creek and had he not had somebody fish him out and get him warm and dry it could have been bad.

El Sordo
    Images

I've had to ford Slickrock when it was running high and I took off my pants and tied my boots around my neck. Talk about shrinkage!!
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I got lucky and hurt my leg and had to get off the trail in Green Cove and had the good pleasure to spend a night and day with Rick and Brenda Harris in Tellico Plains. It poured down rain the 3 days before I got there - when I got to Slickrock Creek it was crotch deep and muddy.

Had I not hurt my leg and came off the trail for 36 hours I would have had to stop at the creek I'm sure. If I'm not mistaken, a day or so before I got there a guy did get washed down the creek and had he not had somebody fish him out and get him warm and dry it could have been bad.
    That guy was the one I was thinking of this year. As you point out, even at times of high water it is still normally possible to ford Slickrock.

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I section hiked both the Slickrock section and the fords in the Smokies in October and the water was much, much lower. Slickrock was mid-calf and the supposed tough ford in the Smokies allowed me to rock-hop. A fall hike definitely offers lower water and easier fords.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Ya'll are giving me BMT fever....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++