WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Blisters and black toes

After an extensive search for boots I purchesed Asolo Fugatives. Wore them many times and thought they would be fine. On my first section hike my left foot was fine, felt great no problems, my right foot was a mess. By the end of the second day I had a blister on my right heel, by the end of the forth day my big toe on the right foot was turning black.
    How come one foot is perfect and one is a mess and foot measurements show no difference?????

hmm... one boot got wet and held moisture? Outer oil treatments can cause problems especially at the toe.

Images

Some people have different sized feet. You may want to take it to a cobbler & have the toe section streatched

It could be your right foot is overpronating.Are your legs the same lenght?and do you have any back pains?I also tried on the "asolo" didn't work for my feet or wallet,went with the merril gtx mids all leather.They have worked well for me,it can be very frustrating finding a boot/shoe to wear good luck.

Images

Blisters can change the way you walk, which probably led to your toe getting damaged.

Images

I wear LaSportiva trail runners which I think are really just about the best long distance trail shoe going -- my main blister spots stay pretty much calloused over but I still get a few -- everybody does -- especially when it's wet. Also, if I don't have at least one black toe nail, I've probably been sitting on the couch too much. If your footwear fits good and is comfortable, you'll get past the blisters. A black toe every now and then means your laying down the miles -- that's probably a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    A black toe every now and then means your laying down the miles -- that's probably a good thing.
    My boots fit great but when I crank out a big day AND do steep downhill stuff that's when the toenails take the hit.

Images

When my black toes heals, that's how I know it's time for the next hike!

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I don't often get blisters, but my first section hike of the AT Springer to Yellowcreek Gap. I got my first black toe. I was quite proud of it, showed anyone who was willing to look

Images

I agree with leaftye . The blister on your right heal altered the planting of that foot causing the toe to jam up against toe box . Two days of this likely caused the black toe.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

++ New Posts ++