WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Blue Blazes for Thru Hikers

Hey guys. I've heard some of the prettiest places along the A.T. aren't actually on it. For us thru-hikers that don't have time to see all of the blue blazes, which ones do you think are the easiest (i.e. right of the trail) or the ones that are worth the extra mile or two?

virginia creeper trail

Jones Falls/ Doyle R. Falls trail in southern SNP is worth it . Might be a mile longer but three waterfalls vs pretty nondescript AT miles around Dundo picnic area is a win in my book.

Images

1. hampton - skip pond flats and go right into town
    2. killington - take blue blaze (old AT) right to the Long Trail Inn
    3. damascus - virginia creeper trail out of town
    4. take blue ridge parkway for a day instead of the trail

the best blue blaze i took was near the bigelows...we went down to flagstaff lake and camped there for the night...AMAZING!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

franconia brook trail

wesser creek trail

Quote Originally Posted by Serial 07 View Post
    1. hampton - skip pond flats and go right into town
    2. killington - take blue blaze (old AT) right to the Long Trail Inn
    I think he said she ws asking for scenic value, not necessarily short-cuts, or the shortest trail to food and beer.

Dismal Falls and the Mau-Har Trail goes by some really nice waterfalls with a swimming hole, and good camping.

Any overlook less than .5 miles, such as Siler Bald and the Priest overlook is worth the time.

Garlic
    Images

Dismal Falls was a nice spot.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Mary's Rock in central SNP is very close to the AT. Nice view.

Don't miss the Mau-Har it is much prettier a bit shorter and a lot harder than the section of AT you'll be missing. Why that was rerouted I'll never understand.

Many people say Gulf Hagas in Maine's 100 Mile Wilderness is worth it but I haven't seen it myself.

Lots of waterfalls in Shenandoah NP - in addition to Jones & Doyle River, I'd recommend South River Falls and White Oak Canyon, the latter of which is accessible when you reach Skyland. Sticking to SNP, I second the side trip to Mary's Rock.

One of the best blue-blazed side trails - and a very short one - is in Maryland after you've left the C&O Canal (NOBO) and ascend the ridgeline. The AT turns left on the ridge but the blue-blazed trail to the right takes you to Weverton Cliffs with a splendid view of the Potomac and the gap in the ridges upstream where the Shenandoah meets the Potomac at Harpers Ferry.

Images

Approach Trail!

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Approach Trail!
    thanks for the smile joe, merry christmas you WB'zer

Images

the vista on wawayanda in NJ
    anthony's nose right after you cross the bear mountain bridge

on the flipside, the worst i've ever seen was the tri county corner in PA, and ive always found venturing to the actual summits in the whites (like jefferson or monroe or eisenhower) to not be worth the effort, but thats largely because the views are good enough below the summits.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    the vista on wawayanda in NJ
    anthony's nose right after you cross the bear mountain bridge

on the flipside, the worst i've ever seen was the tri county corner in PA, and ive always found venturing to the actual summits in the whites (like jefferson or monroe or eisenhower) to not be worth the effort, but thats largely because the views are good enough below the summits.
    if you're ever up there and have the time, the kings ravine trail n of mt adams is spectacular. from appalachia take the amphibranch trail to kings ravine , then switch to great gully trail up to adams.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    if you're ever up there and have the time, the kings ravine trail n of mt adams is spectacular. from appalachia take the amphibranch trail to kings ravine , then switch to great gully trail up to adams.
    its on the to do list, but i dont think id consider that a blue blaze in the sense that the OP meant. i'm talking about, for instance, leaving the AT to summit adams, which really isnt worth it as the view is the same. its mostly there for people who insist on standing on the actual summit of mountains. actually, i dont know, adams might be awesome as by that point i skipped it based on all the ones south of there not being worth it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    its on the to do list, but i dont think id consider that a blue blaze in the sense that the OP meant. i'm talking about, for instance, leaving the AT to summit adams, which really isnt worth it as the view is the same. its mostly there for people who insist on standing on the actual summit of mountains. actually, i dont know, adams might be awesome as by that point i skipped it based on all the ones south of there not being worth it.
    agreed, ive sectioned the presis a few times, ive touched the summits once, the other times i skipped them, not really worth the extra effort.you can blue blaze off grafield down franconia brook trail, and come back up on the bondcliff trail. the FB trail is one of the most beautiful ive ever hiked.

Images

On my second thru hike I decided it's not about making miles and to go every overlook and viewpoint and waterfall side trail their was and I learned two things. First it really didn't take any longer to go see stuff than stay focusing on the white blazes and secondly most of the viewpoints and overlooks had the same view as you get from the trail maybe a little further up or down.

There is a blue blaze at the lehigh valley gap in PA that is definately worth it. Just a short quarter mile trail that has the best views of the valley. I forget the name but it is right after you cross over the interstate and left after the cell tower if you are travelling north.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post
    There is a blue blaze at the lehigh valley gap in PA that is definately worth it. Just a short quarter mile trail that has the best views of the valley. I forget the name but it is right after you cross over the interstate and left after the cell tower if you are travelling north.
    theres a couple up there, but you may mean the devil's pulpit. a nice view but also the hardest trail i think ive ever hiked. theres also a trail up there that just diverges from the AT and then rejoins it, you may have meant that one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++