WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Default Where does ATC donation money go?

I recently got a donation appeal from the ATC in the mail, but the language in the letter was vague enough that I wanted to do a little research, before I send a small check, into what sorts of specific uses the ATC has for my money. I should make it clear that I'm NOT harboring mistrust--I'm just curious about this because I don't know anything about the political apparatus that keeps the AT extant and well-maintained. For instance: is there a chance that this money goes to volunteer maintenance clubs? This is the sort of thing I'm wondering about.

Thanks in advance for considered answers to this potentially thorny question.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

As I understand it, most all of the maintenance labor is volunteer, by the clubs etc. But they need the money for the supplies and the direct costs, everything from gas and oil for chain saws when clearing excessive blow down as they have had an extreme amount of this year, to bridge building materials (a good number lost to floods this year). To the materials to rebuild/repair shelters and the paint to redo all the blazes. Then there is the cost of land acquisition still going on in a few areas.

If I am mistaken, someone else please join in.

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post
    If I am mistaken, someone else please join in.
    You are not mistaken.

ATC's financial statements are presented at the biennial membership meetings every year along with a presentation by the Treasurer. While I did not attend this year's meeting (last July at Emory & Henry College in SW VA), I've attended previous years' sessions and as an ex-accountant, have always perused the financial reports which I believe present a reasonable level of detail as to how the $$$ is spent and ATC's overall financial condition.

If you're an ATC member, they'll send you a detailed financial report upon request.

so Cookerhiker - where does the money go in general terms?

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    so Cookerhiker - where does the money go in general terms?
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/who-we-are/financials

Lone Wolf beat me to it. This page is a snapshot in which you'll see the largest chunk goes to Conservation with the second-largest to Publications & Marketing. Keep in mind the latter is partially self-financed through book and map sales.

The more detailed 2010 financial statements aren't on-line yet but here's the '09 report. I found it interesting that membership dues only comprise 1/5 of total revenue.

The financial statements are on the web site. The largest part of their budget goes to conservation, 43%.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

"conservation" - nice general term that can cover almost anything - looking at the reports it appears the bulk of "conservation" is employee wages, etc. - at first glance the only funds making its way to actual maintenance of the trail are from the Federal Agencies passed through the ATC - note this is just my impression and does not detract from the good work done managing the resources as well as educational programs etc

Journal Entries
    Images

HOI very little comes from the Federal level - Last time they built a tunnel under a dangerous road crossing some the money came from the state roads department and private donations... I don't understand why we are trying to find fault with the ATC... when there are clearly other organizations that horrendously mismanaged. What Federal agencies actually give money to the ATC?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL CONSERVANCY IS A VOLUNTEER-BASED, NONPROFIT
    ORGANIZATION.

Donations support "THE PRESERVATION AND MANAGEMENT OF THE
    NATURAL, SCENIC, HISTORIC, AND CULTURAL RESOURCES ASSOCIATED WITH THE
    APPALACHIAN NATIONAL SCENIC TRAIL IN ORDER TO PROVIDE PRIMITIVE
    OUTDOOR-RECREATION AND EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR TRAIL VISITORS."

It's funds support its services to an "ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP OF 39,000 AS WELL AS AN
    ESTIMATED 2 MILLION VISITORS ANNUALLY TO THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL. IT
    COORDINATES THE EFFORTS OF 31 MEMBER CLUBS AND OVER 6,000 VOLUNTEERS."

All this requires staffing, numerous publications, and support of its headquarters in Harpers Ferry. and several regional offices. ATC is critical to the survival of the Appalachian Trail as a volunteer driven activity. Without ATC support of the legislation that required federal purchase of the trail corridor, the trail would no longer exist. Now if ATC can't support its activities, the trail becomes just another federal entity, subject to the direct control of federal bureaucrats and the whims of Congress.

Journal Entries
    Images

Kinda difficult to make a judgement just looking at the expense side. What I see is 43 percent to trails and 22 percent paying for books and the like which are going to be generating income. 12 percent for salaries and office facilities and related expenses. 9 percent for growing the cause and 2 percent paying for land. Quite frankly I think they are doing a good job. Many of the little things do not show up on an income statement. Such as a land gift.

I'm just glad a portion of the donations go to buy all that Polaroid film to snap pictures on the front porch of thru hikers reaching Harper's Ferry. Smiled really big for mine in 2009....

Wonder if that falls under "Publications and Marketing" or "General Administration"?
    Last edited by Spokes; 12-15-2011 at 13:02.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    ATC's financial statements are presented at the biennial membership meetings every year along with a presentation by the Treasurer. While I did not attend this year's meeting (last July at Emory &amp; Henry College in SW VA), I've attended previous years' sessions and as an ex-accountant, have always perused the financial reports which I believe present a reasonable level of detail as to how the $$$ is spent and ATC's overall financial condition.<br>
    But that does't tell you who gets paid what and what the fringe benefits are. recently it seems that the ATC raises money to do fund raising to raise more money so they can do fund raising. I wish they would just take care of the actual trail but now maybe since the Feds got involved they spend a lot of time on "professionals", view shed and more general environmental issues. Do they executives even come to the office in Harpers Ferry or are they all in DC on K street? The more "professional" they get the more it's about expanding the number of employees, marketing to increase membership, sales from the shop. Creating good jobs with good wages for their like minded people.&nbsp;<br>
    If you're an ATC member, they'll send you a detailed financial report upon request.
    But that does't tell you who gets paid what and what the fringe benefits are. recently it seems that the ATC raises money to do fund raising to raise more money so they can do fund raising. I wish they would just take care of the actual trail but now maybe since the Feds got involved they spend a lot of time on "professionals", view shed and more general environmental issues. Do they executives even come to the office in Harpers Ferry or are they all in DC on K street? The more "professional" they get the more it's about expanding the number of employees, marketing to increase membership, sales from the shop. Creating good jobs with good wages for their like minded people.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

The "executives" meaning Dave Startzell and Steve Paradis are in Harpers Ferry - that's where their offices are. Dave does travel to DC to testify at Appropriations Committee hearings, very effectively I might add.

Re your point about info in the report, I also agree that more details sometimes result in wanting to know even more. Consider that the amount and degree of detail ATC releases on its website to the general public (let along members) is extensive, much more than many non-profits that I know of. I think they deserve credit for this. Try finding much about the finances i.e. how money is spent by AARP or AAA for example.

"Care for the actual trail" rests in a large sense with the maintaining clubs as it should but the ATC does organize some of the work crews. And don't disregard "viewshed" unless you want to see the AT confined to a 1,000' wide corridor surrounded by subdivisions and strip malls. AT's work with local communities has helped promote the Trail as a positive influence, good neighbor, and asset to the community.

Images

According to the Charity Navigator the head of the ATC in 2009 makes $114,000 plus benefits which is a reasonable amount in my view assuming it's a full time job which I think it is. Compare to the Nature Conservancy where the Honcho is pulling down $482000 plus fb. I think my $100 is better spent at the ATC. It's hard to donate money to organizations who's executives " do well by doing good" Who want's to donate to your local hospital when the CEO is making two million? I never made that kind of money but it's a pet peeve of mine since I worked for alleged not-for-profit outfits for thirty years.. Long ago and far away.

Journal Entries
    Images

Spokes, I think the film is charged in the outreach account from the general ledger account listed as BUM FUND.

I also am a member and give some extra money to my state wide hiking club in PA the KTA. These days they need a lot more money to fight against Marcellus shale companies drilling near the other PA trails along with their usual activities of maintenance and hiking advocacy.

Unfortunatly the expenses of non profits are suspect these days. Too many bad organizations have destroyed the trust of many people. You think your donations are going to a worthy cause (United Way) and find out the regional v.p. is making a million per year. I will not give to any charity or non profit with a CEO that is making that kind of money. It shows they are probably wasting much more.

Images

Buy local, Eat local, Give local !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++