WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default LT 8-1-12 Rutland to Canada

SO I am looking at the start of August. I have a gap from school and a slow time with work to maybe make a run at Canada. I haven't gotten my book yet but just had some standard thoughts. How far is it to the terminus from Rutland? About how long would it take me at a brisk pace? Do I need to carry my passport?

I didn't need a passport when I hiked it in '07. The Trail ends right at the border next to a border stone in the middle of the woods - no Border Patrolers around. Rutland i.e. Sherbourne Pass/Rt. 4 is 170 trail miles from the northern terminus - don't know about driving miles. The biggest logistical challenge is getting to/from the northern terminus which is pretty remote. Once you reach Rt. 15 northbound, you'll see very few hikers.

August 1 is a good time to hike - no black flies and I found mosquitos were not a problem with my mid-August start.

Time - I'm sure you can do it in less than 3 weeks. Some hikers cover it in 2 weeks - a bit less than 20 mpd - but keep in mind that no matter how fit you are to bound up the uphills, some of the downhills are very slow going because of their rocky footing and steepness e.g. descents into Appalachian Gap and down Whiteface Mountain.

It's a great Trail. Having done it twice, I'd like to do it again some day.

Chaco - 10 mpd is pretty good pace for much of that section, especially north of Mansfield. I'd give it at least 2 weeks but be ready for up to 3. Also, though it is harder starting out, consider going SOBO. You could have someone drive you up to North Troy to start, then when you get to route 4, you can pretty much hitch hike straight home.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

That is a thought. I had thought of doing a bunch of the more remote hikes in the Whites to get me ready. SOBO is a great idea. Just picked up the new guidebook at EMS. Talked with the wife and she seems like she would be cool if I went out for a couple of weeks. Im still in a dilemma about doing the whole thing, maybe the chance will present itself for me to do an entire hike of it. Can always hope right?

I misunderstood when I said 2 weeks=20 mpd; I was thinking of the entire LT. If you're only hiking between Rutland and the northern point, I'm sure you could do it in 2 weeks - a bit more than 12 mpd. But nothing wrong with taking your time and enjoying the nice parts, especially the Lincoln Ridge and Camel's Hump.

SOBO may be a good idea. I prefer uphill over downhill and it seems that most of the difficult slopes are the north side. But the SOBO hike up Mansfield - the highest point in VT - is very well-graded and consistent for the 2,500' or so you're gaining. I think ascending from Appalachian Gap may take less time than descending it on a NOBO hike.

As an experiance hiker, you can probably do the E2E in less then 4 weeks, but probably more than 3. As my first long distance hike, the LT took me about 28 days, SOBO in June, where it rained most of the first 2 weeks, which really slowed us down (had a partner). Once it stopped raining and warmed up, the Black flies came out in force, so we really started to move along for the last half of trail! It was either that or get eaten alive.

Images

Private Message me and I'll share my entire end to end itinerary with you, re-supply info, transportation, the whole show -- wondering why you are starting in Rutland and not just doing the whole thing -- you can do MA to Rutland in 8 days or so. No, no passport required. PM me, seriously.

Rutland to Canada is 168.5 miles...about half of those miles are fairly difficult. Might see you out there, we are looking at leaving the Canadian Border in late July/early Aug

more than two but less than three is probably a good estimate. the only hitch we had trouble with was the one into middlebury...though we did pass a reasonable country store on the way (west) down the mountain so you could probably resupply there. but then again, i have strong thumbs...we hitched door to door from north troy to dublin, nh.

Wak and I did the AT section on our thru in 08. She wants to do some of the northern section as well. Im thinking about having her out on her summer vacation for a week then going North and SOBO to where we leave off. Still undecided on doing the whole thing

If you dont have a passport they wont let you in..Period.... New rules on both sides, and even if you did get in without a passport you wont get back to the U.S. without one. Have Fun !

Quote Originally Posted by BFI View Post
    If you dont have a passport they wont let you in..Period.... New rules on both sides, and even if you did get in without a passport you wont get back to the U.S. without one. Have Fun !
    Where are the "they" who won't let you in? Are they posted at the LT terminus? They weren't in '07 when I hiked the LT and BTW passports were required then.

You hike, you reach the border stone, peer at the view, turn right, and head down the Journeys End trail. No big deal. Just don't do something stupid.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 12-16-2011 at 21:35.

Images

They set up a new Border patrol station? This is my pic at Journey end trail/ Start of LT.Picture or Video 4975.jpgLogistic wise for you it might be easier to catch a ride from a friend to North terminus & hike south. I would compare it to the Whites on AT. She had just gotten of CT & 12-15 was about good with her till she got to cold about 100 miles in. It was Oct hike.

Well Ill probably take it with me anyway just in case something happens and I end up having to cross. I have been thumbing through the guidebook and am curious about the lack of camping in the northern section, esp in the last 100 miles. How is the camping situation north of Vt 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Where are the "they" who won't let you in? Are they posted at the LT terminus? They weren't in '07 when I hiked the LT and BTW passports were required then.

You hike, you reach the border stone, peer at the view, turn right, and head down the Journeys End trail. No big deal. Just don't do something stupid.
    No one is checking passports at the Northern Terminus of the Long Trail, and if someone is they can kiss my ass, wouldn't be the first time I f'ed with a border cop, just need to know how to play them.

No offense Stranger but Id rather be safe than sorry to be honest. Id rather not get detained. I have heard about 50-50 responses for and against the whole passport thing so I think I will just play it safe and carry mine the last little bit of the LT.

The newest edition of the guidebook is pretty nice with loads of info about camping, the various side trails through each section and town info. The GMC did pretty good on the new edition. I will probably plan on the 10-12 mile days. Im still deciding on an entire end to end hike. The first section is just so beautiful and easy. Would be nice to start out there to get my legs before pushing into the tougher stuff. My goal is to be able to have relatively few days off trail. Def planning on taking a zero in Manch Center to hang out with Jeff. My goal is to spend as much time on trail as possible.

As Mountian Mike's photo shows, the terminus is in the middle of the woods. You can cross into Canada no problem, but it would be a long bushwack just to get to a road. You can cross into Canada on RT 101 out of North Troy and the boarder crossing there is pretty laid back, as it is mostly locals going across, but there really isn't anything there of interest. Derby Line, just north of Newport is interesting, as the boarder goes right through the middle of the town. No idea how they deal with the passport issue there!

Yes, you need to stay at the shelters and lodges up north, there aren't any real tenting sites available. You won't run into any big crowds, so that is not a problem and in August the bugs aren't going to be either.

Your right IF you dont cross into Canada...

I met an US border patrol about half an hour north of VT Rt.105 on the trail in 2010. The guy was pretty nice and never asked me to show him my ID. I was only asked if I saw anybody suspicious on the trail. Carrying a passport may prove a good idea if a hiker is stopped right at the border line by a serious US border patrol. Indeed, they have activities going on in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Man View Post
    I met an US border patrol about half an hour north of VT Rt.105 on the trail in 2010. The guy was pretty nice and never asked me to show him my ID. I was only asked if I saw anybody suspicious on the trail. Carrying a passport may prove a good idea if a hiker is stopped right at the border line by a serious US border patrol. Indeed, they have activities going on in that area.
    In that case a drivers license would be enough of an ID. But if you have a good Jersy accent, they aren't going to question you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++