WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Snowpack will be minimal along the AT corridor this holiday season as a current weak air mass will prevail for the remainder of the week.
    According to www.weatherunderground.com sudden stratospheric weaking will begin to allow the colder Arctic air to sink down from Canada at years end.

January should see more seasonal winter weather and likely an increased chance of snow for the northeast.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming ...
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Toli told me there was 2" on top of Blood Mtn a few weeks back

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Snowpack will be minimal along the AT corridor this holiday season as a current weak air mass will prevail for the remainder of the week.
    According to www.weatherunderground.com sudden stratospheric weaking will begin to allow the colder Arctic air to sink down from Canada at years end.

January should see more seasonal winter weather and likely an increased chance of snow for the northeast.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming ...
    you did that naked did'nt you

Weather Channel had the long range forecast for Jan thru March 2012 last night. Looks like it will be warmer than average at the southern end of the AT. Don't know about precipitation.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    how come the ice age didnt last? was it due to global warming caused by the cromagnon or the neanderthals. i dont think so. the earth has always been warming but modern man has aided in the speed up of the process over the last 50 to 75 years since the industrial boom.....
    Actually, the question should be why hasn't the next ice age started? We should be well into now. The answer is human activity. We started with farming in Asia and cutting down and burning trees in Europe, 5 or 6 thousand years ago. Over the last 100 years we've gotten really good at pumping out the CO2.

But we won't be able to keep doing that forever. Sooner or later the oil is going to run out and the coal too hard to get too. We'll frack all the gas out of the shale. With cheap, abundant and easy energy gone forever, populations will plumit and we'll go back to an early 1800's technology. CO2 levels will deminish, the ice age will start up again and wipe out any sign of us from North America and Europe. All will be well again.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Now that I've got that off of my chest, let me ask; How has the mild weather we've had so far this fall/winter affected your hiking and outdoor plans?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    How has the mild weather we've had so far this fall/winter affected your hiking and outdoor plans?
    I've been working in the yard more, because of this outstanding winter we've been having; I could never of done that during the last 3 winters. Some pics

Butterfly Weed going to seed

Transplanted the smaller Varigated Shell Ginger to a sunnier spot so it could grow as fast as the larger one

Please don't hijack the weather threads towards global warming/climate change. It's the usual suspects, we have had threads on the subject. They wind up closed.

Thanks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Yeah, statistically this is not abnormal. Human brains tend to find patterns in everything. We have some years where December is warmer than usual and some where it is colder than usual. What we never get is a year where every month has average temperatures and average precipitation. Unless it hits 85 or -15 degrees in the next three months or we get 100 inches of snow then this winter will end up not sticking in my mind as particularly special.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Sleet and snow mix today. Still think it supposed to be colder up here and more snow so far. I have a feeling that Jan and Feb are going to be brutal though but at least my first winter in New England looks to be shorter than usual. Let me ease into it

Images

Famous friggin' last words...

Now you've done it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++