WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What happened to winter?

It's 42 and raining here in the Whites today. It should be 20 and snowing! Oh well, we're only half way through December, but so far it doesn't look good for snowshoeing or skiing around here this year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

65 in damascus. gonna be a mild winter

It may come late. At least that's what I'm hoping. Last year winter was a bear until late Jan, and then it just kinda went away. I'm hoping the reverse happens this year.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Agreed. 54 degrees, rain and mud here in Michigan. Should have frozen ground and at least some snow. Miserable hiking right now.

I'm loving it This is the first normal winter (for this area) since 2008. My Hibiscus, which before 2008 was over 6 ft died during that winter and has died every winter since, only growing 3 ft at best before dying. It's now well over 4 ft and looking good and strong. Just today I was actually pondering if I should plant some of these seeds I got laying around.

Images

Syracuse, NY was in the news. 55" snow to date last year, -0.5" this year...

Stinks for skiing but it is good for my plow bill.

I'd love a mild-snow free winter here down south, compaired to last year. Just hope we get enough rain to keep us out of drought.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Just hope we get enough rain to keep us out of drought.
    No kidding! I'm SO tired of droughts.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Syracuse, NY was in the news. 55" snow to date last year, -0.5" this year...
    I am a native Floridian, so I am not up on may things "snow." But how was one have -0.5" of snow this year or in any time period?
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

winter has been postponed till after the mayan apocalypse.

I had a lettuce plant that went to seed in the garden last summer, I've now got 4 brand new lettuce plants coming up. This is upstate New York, I couldn't believe my eyes. Oh well, don't have to shovel rain.

Images

It's all cyclical in nature . the last few years saw more snow and cold along the east coast.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's 42 and raining here in the Whites today. It should be 20 and snowing! Oh well, we're only half way through December, but so far it doesn't look good for snowshoeing or skiing around here this year.
    ... Yeah.... I'm takin my first ever trip to Mt. Washington this weekend, I'm starting to wonder if the guides will still let us try and summit if the weather stays the same and the temps drop.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I've been doing a lot of North Ga / NC trail running and car camping here and there - a month ago, I was into good cold, snow and full on winter in the Smokies - now, I'm back in shorts and even shirtless at times -- at times I love the way it feels but I also sense something wrong in the climate -- I really do worry about climate change and I do think that it is at least to a good extent our fault -- nevertheless, I am considering a good skinny dip in Slickrock Creek which will be a December first for me!

officially winter does not begin until Dec 22, it is still fall enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    ... Yeah.... I'm takin my first ever trip to Mt. Washington this weekend, I'm starting to wonder if the guides will still let us try and summit if the weather stays the same and the temps drop.
    Well, the temps are suppost to drop to more normal as this front moves out, so I'd be ready for an ice climb with a light coating of new snow to make it interesting. If you go up Saturday, it could be quite windy too. Good luck!!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wooly bear says it's going to be very mild all winter long. Coat was almost fully brown, just black at the very front and rear. I believe scientists give the wooly bear an 80% accuracy rating. Probably better than The Weather Channels predictions.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DBCFlash View Post
    Wooly bear says it's going to be very mild all winter long. Coat was almost fully brown, just black at the very front and rear. I believe scientists give the wooly bear an 80% accuracy rating. Probably better than The Weather Channels predictions.
    no scientists I know say much about wooly bears. They do recognize that we are experiencing abnormal warmth and abnormal weather patterns, which probably are related to climate change.

I'm hoping we get a good freezing cold snap BEFORE the snow flies - the ticks have been beyond ridiculous in NH the past few years.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++