WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 4 week section hike in may ending in VA?

I have roughly 4 free weeks in May and I would like to spend the majority of it on the trail. I have family in Richmond VA who are willing to pick me up anywhere in reasonable proximity to them. I currently live in Austin so I am planning on flying/catching a shuttle to the start point. If anyone could give recommendations on a start and end point that would work out well I would greatly appreciate it!

Images

Default 4 week section hike in may ending in VA?

Might consider flying in to Harrisburg, PA and hiking south to Waynesboro/Charlottesville, VA. The local transit bus crosses the AT by the Flying J outside Carlisle. There's also a Walmart, KMart & Target along the bus route if you need anything.

This section will let you complete two states (MD & WV) and hike some of the best trail in both PA and VA.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Images

Another suggestion is to fly into D.C., shuttle to Harpers Ferry and head SOBO as far as you can make it.

If you are interested in attending Trail Days, you could make that your half way point. Start maybe two weeks south of Damascus, head north, attend Trail Days for a day or two, get back on the trail and head north again. The end point would put you a few hours from Richmond.

You would have the awesome experience of hiking through Grayson Highlands.

Not sure where you would fly into to start your hike. Bristol maybe?
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

On possibility might be to start at Fontana Dam on the southern border of the GSMNP and hike to central VA, say perhaps Pearisburg or Daleville area. You'd get some famous and primo sites and hostels.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Roanoke area end id say finish in daleville if you go north from say damascus or somthing or catawba if you go south from somewhere ha u dont wanna miss central VA tinker cliffs,mcafee knob. so on..

just for your info daleville in botetourt county is almost exactly a 4 hour drive from east broad street in richmond..

Start outside for Johnson City, Tn near Elk Park, and go north to Pearisburg, Va or hike on to Alfton Mt. goes near hwy 64. Have a great hike.
    I will be out there somewhere about the same time, happy hiking.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Fly to the Tri cities and head north out of Damascus. Should make it to Waynesboro for easy pick up off I64 (from Richmond area). PM Lone Wolf and see if he can pick you up. Will be lots of thru hikers in the area though

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++