WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I like walking through the forest. I don't like walking through a parking lot with an armful of returns. I also don't like driving around and around looking for the "perfect" spot when it's faster to just park where there's a spot available.

Images

Love to walk, My wife and I will walk 10 miles to the next town to see a movie and have lunch then walk home, So much less stressfull than driving. Just wish there were more sidewalks..

I tell my wife and you can quote me on this, "the further you park, the longer you live". I also tell her let the young ones have them (the close parking spots) we're not as old as them yet. But this doesn't apply to the young hikers here. I think each and everyone of you is totally awesome for keeping the spirit of outdoor adventure and hiking alive. God bless you all and long may you live.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries

Default walkin

I park out at the end of the cars, or in a large gap somewhere with no other cars around. Regardless of walking distance. I have a big truck and I prefer not to have to maneuver too much to try to get out. I prefer not to back out at all if can help it. Drives my wife crazy, but walking a few hundred feet doesnt bother me at all, I actually prefer it.

No matter where I park, when I come out Im usually surrounded by other cars. Its like they wont park in a place, until someone else does first.

Garlic
    Images

What's really funny is seeing that happen in an REI parking lot.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

The key to cardiovascular fitness is keeping the body in motion and walking is such a simple activity to do.

I hear co -workers complain almost daily about walking the few hundred feet it takes to get from the parking lot to the front door .
    These are the same people that talk excitedly about going shopping at the malls for the holidays . Maybe the endorpine high they get from shopping takes their mind from the all the walking they're doing.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Noob

I always park further away then most people. It has nothing to do with liking to walk but it is due to the fact my truck is so big. I also think its no big deal to park do far away since you're going to walk so much in the mall or store anyway.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I used to laugh at the people that would drive around and around a parking lot in front of the gym, just to find a spot closest to the door!!
    I mean really people, you're there for a workout for heaven's sake!! Aren't you??!!

Perhaps the opening post should be--"Do you park as close as possible to a trailhead so you don't have to carry the pack any extra distance"?

Whats over the next hill? Pioneer Spirit's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We got people who come to work over an hour early just to get a limited place close to the building rather than walk 300 yards from the normal lot. Not to mention the abuse of handicap placards.
    Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Buckeye Trail 2,700 miler.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    I like to park far away so I can get a shopping cart, push it into a running start and ride it up to the store! I'm having fun and I'm saving the cart pusher a trip out to the far reaches.

My wife hates shopping with me.
    I love it!!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    I like to park far away so I can get a shopping cart, push it into a running start and ride it up to the store! I'm having fun and I'm saving the cart pusher a trip out to the far reaches.

My wife hates shopping with me.
    Mine does too. But for less exciting reasons. I just try to save money and call the store on every discrepancy between its ads and the labels on its shelves or the prices the cashier racks up for me to pay.

I hate wasting my time driving around looking for a spot so I take the first one I see. I don't try to get close.

Furthermore, I hate wasting my time getting stuck behind all the moo-cows just shuffling along at a snail's pace. I have an Agenda. I will go here and go there, I will look for this and for that. Period. Get the heck out of my way, I'm on a mission. I walk FAST, get it done--even have my cash and change ready in my hand at the register (I don't like to leave a paper trail)--and I get the heck out of the store before most people have even found their parking spot.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I hate wasting my time driving around looking for a spot so I take the first one I see. I don't try to get close.

Furthermore, I hate wasting my time getting stuck behind all the moo-cows just shuffling along at a snail's pace. I have an Agenda. I will go here and go there, I will look for this and for that. Period. Get the heck out of my way, I'm on a mission. I walk FAST, get it done--even have my cash and change ready in my hand at the register (I don't like to leave a paper trail)--and I get the heck out of the store before most people have even found their parking spot.
    you would take all the fun(risk of serious injury) out of black friday

Images

I park and walk everywhere I go but I had to laugh I have been with people that will circle the parking lot a dozen times hoping to get the coveted space up front. And I hate malls so go maybe once a year if that.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

I remember a few years ago reading a news blip somewhere that said that trying to park in the absolute closest spot to wherever sent a message to young kids that walking is devalued. I do usually park far enough out to spots where one can pull through, because both of my vehicles have limited visibility to the rear, and one of those is a full size crew cab pickup.

I think enclosed malls are dying off because people in general don't want to walk far enough to get inside and then inside - the strip mall power centers allow the fatties to drive down to get closer emitting more carbon in the process by starting their cold SUV twice or thrice.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm the strange car the furthest away from the store all by itself. I want the exercise in hopes to keep me young & active for a very long time & I love to look at the hills surrounding the areas I shop while I walk in.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Do we all like to walk?
    Those who are repeat thru hikers probably all do.
    Those who don't make it might not.
    Do you really think hikers who happen to not be AT thru-hikers don't like to walk? Ridiculous.

When I go to the mall......I park on the sidewalk

Images

if i'm with somebody i take them into consideration. i may leave them at the door and catch up. i walk way to fast for most.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    Do you really think hikers who happen to not be AT thru-hikers don't like to walk? Ridiculous.
    Well, I never mentioned the AT and I have met a few who prefer to camp rather than walk.
    Quite a few actually.

But I think most hikers like to walk. (especially repeat thru-hikers) (that's my point)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++