Hey everyone!
About two months till launch date and I am at a loss when it comes to footwear. About 6 months ago I purchased a pair of Merrell boots, the gortex type. I wore them for about a month and on several day hikes. I was told that these type of boots generally don't need much break in and was frustrated that my feet were still very sore about two miles into the hike.

I then purchased a pair of Merrell shoes and at first they were a little tight but have now stretched out and are very comfortable on the trail. The only downside is that they don't offer very much ankle support and since I am starting in mid-february I am concerned that they will not be warm enough.

About 1 month ago I was at my local outfitter and they had a great deal on a pair of Lowa Baltoro's. I tried them on and wore them around the store for awhile. They were a little loose in the heel but I figured with thicker socks and a little room to compensate for my feet swelling they would be a good fit eventually. I have hiked with them several times now and I experience the same type of pain on the side of my foot that I experienced with the Merrell boots. These boots are also very heavy and I find myself stumbling more when I am tired. The positive side to these boots is that I have almost rolled my ankle several times with these boots, they have helped prevent possible sprain and injury because of their support that I am sure the shoes would not have provided but at the same time, I never have stumbled in the shoes or came close to rolling an ankle.

I guess my question is....should I give the Lowa's more time to break in, should I give the Merrell boots more time to break in? I could go with the shoe's but like I mentioned above, I'm afraid they won't be warm enough and I would hate to roll an ankle the first month on the trail while my body acclimates to the trail.

I have also heard good things about Keen and may go try a pair of them on.

Thanks so much!