WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Newbie in SNP needs advice

I will be in Harrisonburg, VA area on Thursday 6/28 through 7/4 and would appreciate any advice on some good hiking trails in the area.
    I will be with my 13 year old son and we have hiked a lot in the NC/TN/VA (mostly Grayson Highlands, MT Rogers). Heard/read that the SNP
    offers beautiful hiking opportunities. Would like to hike 6 days and can do a loop or spend a few nights in one area and drive to another.
    Anyone use a shuttle service in this area? Thanks.

You have a lot of possibilities. In addition to Shenandoah NP, you're close to George Washington National Forest with a myriad of hiking trails. This link gives you info on both day hiking and backpacking.

The PATC publishes maps and guidebooks for all the trails near you. You could peruse their website and get some ideas.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Yup. Lots of good hiking possibilities. Shuttle information can be found on the ATC website here. I've used GratefulGreenpeaceGuy (Mike Evans) myself and highly recommend him.

Not sure from your post if you plan to overnight or day hike with evenings in a hotel/lodge. If you're going to overnight on a trail in the park, be sure to check out the regs to know how/where you can set up your tent or find a shelter and be sure to pick up a free backcountry permit at one of the park entrances.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Old Rag is the classic SNP hike.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++