WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Charlie's Bunion January hike possible?

My family loves going to Gatlinburg and we make it out each year for the MLK Holiday weekend. This year it falls on Jan 13 - 16. Last year we were there around the same time and I wanted to do the Charlie's Bunyun hike. There was one little probem: about 3 ft of snow at Newfound Gap . A guy at an outfitter showed me a picture of it almost completely covering a trail marker sign. I think they had the whole road (441?) through the GSMNP closed at that point too. This year I'm hoping to try and make it out. What are the odds of it being passable? How unsafe is too unsafe? I will be making the hike with my college roommate. We are both 22.

Images

Totally depends on the weather. If the road is open, you can drive up there and give it a go, just be willing to turn around if the snow gets too deep or the trail too icy. The trail is fine out to the Icewater Spring Shelter - basically a long slow uphill climb. It doesn't start to get tricky until past the shelter.

Just don't get into that "must make it to the summit" mindset - that's what gets people in trouble.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

As you get closer to your hike, here's a good website to monitor GSMNP weather and snow conditions:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview....MRX&versions=8

Journal Entries
    Images

yeah if the weather looks questionable & you're going for it, bring trekking poles, it will be a much safer hike across any icy areas
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    yeah if the weather looks questionable & you're going for it, bring trekking poles, it will be a much safer hike across any icy areas
    trecking poles i have but i don't have any other ice/snow hiking gear such as crampons

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Kahtoola microspikes

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Looks like there might be a chance of snow Thursday night but other than that I think we have a good chance of actually doing this thing! Pretty warm this week relatively speaking... I'm itching so bad to get out there.

Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rjhouser View Post
    Looks like there might be a chance of snow Thursday night but other than that I think we have a good chance of actually doing this thing! Pretty warm this week relatively speaking... I'm itching so bad to get out there.
    Just know that with it being exposed and being in clouds a lot, you runs big risk of icy conditions

Images

How do I know what I should and shouldn't trek over wearing just normal hiking boots? I don't have crampons and I don't do a lot of winter hiking, nor do I plan to, so I really don't want to have to purchase any.

Images

Me and my brother hiked out there in the late 70s part of the way out there was 3 feet of ice on the trail in some places but we managed to go up above the ice and get around it. Just remember not to get on ice any near a drop off. Having to get up in the woods to go around the ice can make for a longer day but it was do able. I really enjoyed it even thou it was tough. But when things are tough you can remember them the rest of your life as I can still picture what that trip was like 30 years latter.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

despite the warm temps this year, there's still snow on the ground up there....at least there was a week ago.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

trecking poles i have but i don't have any other ice/snow hiking gear such as crampons
    you shouldn't need actual crampons - check out this- they are cheap - it's what I use up to about 6" of snow (or more) - I use them on LaSportiva Trail SHOES with gaiters - works great:

www.footsmart.com/P-YakTrax-Pro-90053.aspx?srccode=WMGGLE1&cm_mmc=googplus-_-Default-_-s-_-90053 010 30 015&mr:trackingCode=8805D021-75B0-DF11-92F8-0019B9C04BE4&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid= CIXarLigw60CFQ4j7AodiBd8BQ

Images

Watch out for slick icy spots on the trail. If there is any exposure at all to a steep drop -- do NOT walk out on an icy trail. You'll be fine until you get to Icewater Spring, but around Charlie's Bunion there are some places where a small slip could end up being fatal.

Have fun and be careful.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    you shouldn't need actual crampons - check out this- they are cheap - it's what I use up to about 6" of snow (or more) - I use them on LaSportiva Trail SHOES with gaiters - works great:

www.footsmart.com/P-YakTrax-Pro-90053.aspx?srccode=WMGGLE1&cm_mmc=googplus-_-Default-_-s-_-90053 010 30 015&mr:trackingCode=8805D021-75B0-DF11-92F8-0019B9C04BE4&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid= CIXarLigw60CFQ4j7AodiBd8BQ
    These things almost launched me off of Leconte a few years ago. They do not dig into any ice at all and provide very little traction. I got nervous walking down the hill of my driveway. IMO, these are more for shoveling a flat driveway. If you want to get something that will probably be good for what you are looking for, go with Katoohla Microspikes

I was in the area between Christmas and New Years. Wednesday of that week I wanted to go Alum Cave Bluffs, but the road was closed. I went on Thursday - it would have been better if I had some type or crampons or spikes. It had snowed several inches and a lot of traffic on the trail it was really icy. Of course all that should be melted by now.

But the point is - be prepared for a potentially slippery trail in that area, especially at 5000 feet and above!

Images

Now it looks like they are calling for a 30% chance of snow on Friday. Not sure what to expect at this point. The two college friends that are going with me are new to hiking and don't even own any appropriate gear (read: clothes). I don't want to put them in a situation we would regret but I also know this is my last chance to try and make it out there before my thru this upcoming season. Guess we'll have to play it by ear.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Just my opnion of course..but as for me..If there's any chance I may run into ice I take my crampons...Black Diamond Sabretooths and pair of ice piolets..Black Diamond Raven..The reason? I got tired of picking myself up off of the ice ...The adze end of the ice piolet also eliminates the need to carry a trowel for digging catholes...

Images

How do I know what I should and shouldn't trek over wearing just normal hiking boots? I don't have crampons and I don't do a lot of winter hiking, nor do I plan to, so I really don't want to have to purchase any.
    ICE...especially near possibly fatal dropoffs....NEVER go there with normal hiking boots... Is the cost of crampons more valuable than your life?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    These things almost launched me off of Leconte a few years ago. They do not dig into any ice at all and provide very little traction. I got nervous walking down the hill of my driveway. IMO, these are more for shoveling a flat driveway. If you want to get something that will probably be good for what you are looking for, go with Katoohla Microspikes
    Originally Posted by Papa Dyou shouldn't need actual crampons - check out this- they are cheap - it's what I use up to about 6" of snow (or more) - I use them on LaSportiva Trail SHOES with gaiters - works great:

CHEAP ..is not always best......wherever your life could be at stake....go with ONLY the best gear...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++