WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My wife told me she wants to go camping.
    That's as good a Christmas present as I could hope for.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I got another copy of A Walk in the Woods (this makes number 6 from family members) from my aunt. When she asked my mom what I wanted my mom told her anything hiking related. This must be the default book for non-hikers to give. So now I have 6 books signed by relatives thru the years. On the bright side, inside the book was a $50 gift card to REI.
    +1...It was not signed and when ask if I had read it I could not lie. My daughter in law still had the receipt.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Medical clearance on my knee from my orthopedic surgeon after three months of rehab.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    make sure u dont bend the flint when puting it into the sleeze or taking it out. a friend of mine went to pull it out and didnt pull it out straight and the thing snaped in half....damn it....
    My dad told me the same thing as a young man in confidence, but that part of snapping it in half may have been to instill a little fear.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Kindle and prime rib with family a good day
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Default Hiking poles

Two sets of hiking poles for my wife and I some dry ducks ponchos themarest sleeping pads and a new 2p tent. We almost have everything we need for our departure March4th.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RayBan View Post
    Medical clearance on my knee from my orthopedic surgeon after three months of rehab.
    Now there's a gift worth getting excited about. Happy hiking in 2012 on a new knee.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

+1 RayBan! Now to make every second's worth of that rehab worthwhile.

Images

I'm lucky, I don't need anything, and that's what I got.

Big Nick came down and I got to touch his sac---I had my arms elbow deep in Santa's sac---and these items spilled forth:

** Kahtoola Microspikes, size medium.
    ** Standard load Smartwool Mountaineer socks---their thickest and my go-to always-pair for backpacking. Never have enough of these babies.

** Several used books to read on my next backpacking trip---here they are (and I'm excited as the only time I get to read a book is when I'm out on a trip): HELL'S ANGELS: The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club. Fun read. In The Hands of The Great Spirit: The 20,000 Year History of American Indians. Look forwards to this one. WESTMORELAND: The General Who Lost Vietnam. Definitely taking this one out on my next trip. IVAN'S WAR: Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945. When it comes to WW2, everyone should know the history of Russia.

THE VANISHING FACE OF GAIA by James Lovelock. Tree hugging stuff. RIDIN' HIGH LIVIN' FREE: Hell-Raising Motorcycle Stories. Yes, another one by Sonny Barger of the Hell's Angels. THE KILLING OF CRAZY HORSE In depth history of the Lakota Indians. About three of these will keep me occupied for a good 20 day trip. PHYSICS OF THE FUTURE: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100, by Michio Kaku. Humanity probably won't be around by then but what the heck, Kaku is a interesting fellow.

** Turtle Fur fleece "tuque" hat. My first experience with turtle fur. Sorry they had to kill turtles to make these hats.

** North Face Power Stretch polartec gloves.

No new tent or boots or jackets or backpack or hiking poles or rain jacket or rain pants or whatever else.

I wanted a lightweight Ti stove and pot, and I got a Trail Designs Ti-Tri inferno with matching pot. Won't have any problems cooking on the trail! Not as light as what I asked for, but overall I think a good choice.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Journal Entries
    Images

Casio Watch, Nikon thin camera, Lands End green sweater, Surround Sound Polk Speakers, Godstoppers of cash......

But the best was a small monocular of Nightvision, perfect for owl watching....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

My "gift" usually comes in January... the bills.
    Simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    +1 RayBan! Now to make every second's worth of that rehab worthwhile.
    Will do

Noob

Hiking related items included Atech watch (barometer, compass, altimeter, thermometer), Dri Ducks poncho, MSR pack towel, steripen, another Nalgene bottle, deet, day hike lumbar pack and a few other odds and ends.

Images

Mrs. Coach Lou..."...sweetie, don't buy me Diamonds this year. I want backpacking equipment!" Coach Lou..."OK, baby!"....... what a woman!!!

Pentex WG-1 GPS camera, kershaw knife and a compass.
    Pollen

Images

I got a gift card to Cabela's. Would have preferred REI, but I'll grab a Platypus bottle for camp water and whatever else seems to warrant getting.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I got another copy of A Walk in the Woods (this makes number 6 from family members) from my aunt. When she asked my mom what I wanted my mom told her anything hiking related. This must be the default book for non-hikers to give. So now I have 6 books signed by relatives thru the years. On the bright side, inside the book was a $50 gift card to REI.
    Six books, eh? That's gonna make your pack weight skyrocket quite a bit

LEKI Corklites w/ antishock, NeoAir, and a Western Mountaineering UL bag

Images

A $50K addition to the house. That ought to take care of holiday and birthday presents for a few years....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++