WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Water pump

Images

Or get a steripen. I use a platypus big zip and just fill it and stick the steripen in for a minute and good to go.

Registered User Transient Being's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've been thinking about how to get the water in through my bladder tube and I've got the idea, but haven't found the piece I need yet. If I had a lid for a water bottle that had a nipple on it, I could simply attach the bottle to the hose and squeeze the water in through the hose without tearing into my overstuffed pack...
    Fortune favors the brave--Virgil

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Or get a steripen. I use a platypus big zip and just fill it and stick the steripen in for a minute and good to go.
    Steripen! We hates it, we hates it, we hates it forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by dave_phillips View Post
    Water filters would allow you to get it out of a puddle if you really had to. You say it's not worth the weight, but it's probably good to have one as a backup. Sell the one you have and buy a Katadyn Hiker Pro - it's the lightest filter available. Here's a review of the Hiker Pro I found. Think about it.
    Huh I wonder if the right answer for him is to take an old pump filter and leave out the filter element.

Images

I don't think I'm qualified regarding this bladder thing because I've tried bladders and platys and just really don't like them - water sloshes around, I think it's going to get poked and break and of course all the hassle you seem to be going through with this. I carry 2 empty gatorade bottles - I use them for water collection (I sometimes use a little tube, and a cloth "water bucket - kind of like a doggy bowl when the source is meager), I use them for drinking deeply out of when I want to and I set them for use when preparing meals. Sometimes, I use aqua-mira, sometimes I just don't treat based on the source, the season, etc. The only change that I make to this system is when it's going to be very cold - I then take insulated nalgene bottles - it's easier to keep the water from freezing and I can fill them with boiling water and sleep VERY warmly with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++