WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Hennessy Delux Explorer

Very excited about my First Hammock, but I'm already having some buyers remorse, right out of the box I sat it on the postage scale, and it is exactly one pound over the advertised 3LB 2 oz, is the large fly that much heavier??? can I expect any other surprises?

Thanks in advance
    HT1

That weight is for the hammock alone. Anything else is weighed seperately. Your tarp and guylines could easily add a pound.

Images

The Hennessey Delux is considered a two person hammock and is still lighter than most two person tents. Did you need the extra weight restriction or desire for more room ?
    Hennessy stock tarp will add another pound .
    If you bought this through REI simply return it for another hammock.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I'm 6-2, 250 Lbs so I kind of need the bigger hammock, I was hoping to loose a little pack weight, not gain some, though I can tell myself the comfort exchange is worth it, and of course in temperate weather, I will loose some other gear weight, Pad, so I'm telling myself, I stayed in the same weight, but got more comfortable.... though I was hoping for both. Pretty silly of me

HT1

Quote Originally Posted by HT1 View Post
    can I expect any other surprises?

Thanks in advance
    HT1
    An extremely comfortable nights sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    That weight is for the hammock alone. Anything else is weighed seperately. Your tarp and guylines could easily add a pound.
    After rechecking the site, the tarp IS included in the stated weight although the tree hugger straps are not.

BTW....it's a large hammock but not a two person hammock as stated by Johnnybegood.

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    After rechecking the site, the tarp IS included in the stated weight although the tree hugger straps are not.

BTW....it's a large hammock but not a two person hammock as stated by Johnnybegood.
    I did not weigh the straps, but I did weigh the stuff sack, which is probably not included, now I got the hex silnylon fly, so it should be 3 LB 3oz - 13.9 OZ for fly, plus 18.6 OZ for hex fly = 3lb 7.7 oz.

I suppose I can cut six inches of every line, and loose that 8.3 onces of extra weight , and I have tried it and it is very comfortable I'm happy now

Quote Originally Posted by HT1 View Post
    I did not weigh the straps, but I did weigh the stuff sack, which is probably not included, now I got the hex silnylon fly, so it should be 3 LB 3oz - 13.9 OZ for fly, plus 18.6 OZ for hex fly = 3lb 7.7 oz.

I suppose I can cut six inches of every line, and loose that 8.3 onces of extra weight , and I have tried it and it is very comfortable I'm happy now
    Yeah...you have to be careful about weights and really read the fine print. Some manufacturers state the weight minus the actual suspension system, as it varies among users. That's probably a more accurate method. Some include the tar...some don't. I like to know the weight of just the hammock minus tarps and suspension system. It's not uncommon for many hammockers to purchase their tarps from a seperate maunfacturer. Good luck with it.

++ New Posts ++