WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Superfeet insoles

After reading several good things about Superfeet insoles on WhiteBlaze I decided to purchase a pair for my Montrail Fairhavens. I have only had them in for two days and the bottom of my feet feel worse than they did with the original insoles. Is it possible that I don't actually need the additonal arch support or are my feet just not used to them yet and they will eventually feel normal? Thanks for the input!

Marty

Images

You may have gotten the wrong color insole - did you check what style arch you have before purchasing them? If you got support for higher arches than you have, then that would most definitely be uncomfortable.

Images

did you read the directions that say to break in slowly only a couple hours at a time till your feet get used to them.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

New Superfeet hurt my feet for a day or two until my feet got used to the support. Once I got passed that it was all good. From my experience some soreness is normal. YMMV

I don't use Superfeet much anymore since finding the perfect, for me anyway, trail runner. If I choose to wear ANY of my boots/mids I def use the Superfeet (green).
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I bought the green insoles that are recommended for running, hiking, alpine and industrial footwear. No, I did not read the instructions.....guy at the store told me to slip them in my shoe and enjoy. I should have read the instructions....my bad.

Did not read the instructions? I dont blame you, Instruction for insoles? take out package put in shoes and put shoes on feet. I did not know there was more to it than that.

Just read in instructions...I politely rescind my question for at least the next 10 days. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by marty1983 View Post
    Just read in instructions...I politely rescind my question for at least the next 10 days. Thanks.
    LOL, what did the instructions say? I never read mine.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

After reading several good things about Superfeet insoles on WhiteBlaze I decided to purchase a pair for my Montrail Fairhavens. I have only had them in for two days and the bottom of my feet feel worse than they did with the original insoles. Is it possible that I don't actually need the additonal arch support or are my feet just not used to them yet and they will eventually feel normal? Thanks for the input!

Marty
    I've had the same problem, my feet die with superfeet in my shoes. I did break them in, I thought, I wore them on short hikes, no problems, feet were a little sore. The wore them on a week long hike. I ended up burning them in a fire after the 2nd day. My feet felt much better with no insole in than with those.

As others have found, I have found the perfect boot and no issues or need for superfeet.

As someone else mentioned, you may need a different color for a different level of support. Or your feet may pronate the opposite way as the majority of people that they are designed for. Not everyone can comfortably use superfeet or for that matter any off the shelf insoles. Everyone's foot is different. If you don't want to pay for custom fitting, you may end up having to try different insoles types and brands to see what works for you through trial and error.

What Instructions? never saw them.I heard such good things about them and bought them for a different pair of boots(yes, I do wear boots) and in three days returned them for a full refund no questions asked (EMS) ,after I inquired on WB and some one said you had to break them in,so I probably didn't give them enough time.only about 15 miles worth...outta here,green ones to stiff for my liking.I felt kinda bad returning them cause they had little dirty toe prints on them,Not a problem....EMS one of reasons I shop there,and one of the reasons for the higher prises too I imagine.Guarantees don't come cheap.

Instructions: "The tendons and muscles of your feet may need time to adjust to their properly supported position. It is a good idea to keep your original insoles until you have completed your break in period. With Superfeet, you may feel like the arch is too far back. This is simply the shape and design of the insole supporting your foot where it is needed (under the inside of your heel). We suggest taking a conservative break-in approach; try wearing your superfeet for just 1-2 hours the first day, and gradually add more time each day. It is not unusual for the break-in to last up to two weeks, but if you are experiencing pain after 5-7 days, remove the superfeet and return to wearing your original insoles".

Proper fit is key! Just going by the package size codes isn't enough. Most people end up with an insert that's way too small.

To check:

Lay the insert on the ground and stand with your bare foot inside the insert. Your heel should fit comfortably( and totally ) inside the heel cup NOT overlapping it. The arch support should feel comfortable as well. Check the length as well. Your toes should NOT overhang the front of the insert.

It sounds like the salesman just grabbed a package corresponding with your shoe size and stuck it in. Shame on him.

For more info click the link below and read the "how to fit" section steps 1-4.
    http://www.superfeet.com/users-guide/
    Last edited by Spokes; 01-29-2012 at 23:05.

And green is for highest arches. The top rated review on Amazon for superfeet green is extensive and onformative. Also, most walmarts now have Dr. Scholl kiosks that will analyze your foot. Google/Bing it.

Said this to another person asking about Superfeet... There are all different colors/sizes of them. What matters most is not the length (which is the measurement on the packaging) but the heelcup size and the arch. What color did you get?

Green superfeet have the highest arch/most support. Even though they're the most popular, they aren't necessarily perfect for everyone.

Blue superfeet have a bit less of an arch, so if you have a flatter foot they're good.

Orange/Berry superfeet have a bit more padding and therefore are a bit more softer than the green and blue (Orange is for men, Berry is for women). They have about the same arch support as the blue, or at least are supposed to be similar. I know I tried both the blue and the berry and liked the berry a whooole lot more because the arch of the blue did not hit my foot well at all.

What I would do if I were you is find a store with good salesmen who sell Superfeet and ask to try them on underneath your feet. Hopefully if the salesman is good he or she will help you fit the heel. When you look at them from the floor, your heel is not supposed to be "muffin topping" over the heel cup. I work for REI and we've been trained with Superfeet, so anyone at an REI (if you have one nearby) is a good bet to help you with them.

Hope this helps!

Take a look at these. I like them better than Superfeet. They can be had on Ebay for 30 bucks free ship. http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/ultra2-insole.aspx Just another option.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bwendel07 View Post
    Did not read the instructions? I dont blame you, Instruction for insoles? take out package put in shoes and put shoes on feet. I did not know there was more to it than that.
    Yes, they have instructions, and I am glad that I read them!!! If I hadn't read the instructions I probably would have thrown the inserts away because, like they say, your feet will take time to adapt to the new foot mechanics! I had Morton's neuroma and my foot ached with sharp burning pain with every step. I bought the green superfeet and after a slow break in period, ("breaking in" your feet, not "breaking in" the insoles), I am back hiking pain free again! Don't make a smart ass comment if you don't know what you are talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by dorito tex View Post
    Yes, they have instructions, and I am glad that I read them!!! If I hadn't read the instructions I probably would have thrown the inserts away because, like they say, your feet will take time to adapt to the new foot mechanics! I had Morton's neuroma and my foot ached with sharp burning pain with every step. I bought the green superfeet and after a slow break in period, ("breaking in" your feet, not "breaking in" the insoles), I am back hiking pain free again! Don't make a smart ass comment if you don't know what you are talking about!
    Again,I have heard such good things on these.I may just have to give them another try ,they certainly would be a lot cheaper that my prescription orthotics,that way I don't have to keep switching them out to different shoes.Thanks for the review.

Images

the superfeet need to be cut to the exact size needed. i have the green superfeet and remember cuting them down to fit my boot inner. its not your foot u need to match. ya want to make sure the pad doesnt slide inside the boot. like any new peice of footwear the superfeet need a slow break in. i remember my feet would ache after 3 hrs walking around in them. i used them for working in the outdoors well before i went on a hike. now the superfeet are a dream ride inside the boots....

Images

Marty
    I said it before and I'll say it again: superfeet suck. Arches are too high and in the wrong spot. They're ridiculously expensive. Superfeet fanboys will tell you it's perfectly acceptable for your feet to hurt for a week or two. What crap! Would you walk out of a shoe store wearing shoes that hurt your feet as much as your insoles? No wayl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++