WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default North Georgia area weather

So I'm doing a 5 day hiking trip around the north ga area, plan on leaving in the 29tth and heading south bound.

Just wondering what kind of weather should I expect,?

Images

You absolutely can not predict what the weather will be... even 3-4 days out. Two weeks ago I hiked the Standing Indian to Dick's Creek Gap section and the wind was howling, snow was blowing and temps were in the low 20s with wind chills in the single digits. My water bottles froze to slush (with lids frozen shut) in about 30 minutes. A couple of thru hikers up at Muskrat Creek were suffering a bit from the sudden change and wanted to hike down to Hwy 64 to get to Franklin as fast as they could. Had I hiked the week before that I would probably been in shorts and short sleeves. Be prepared for quick changes in the weather up there. Otherwise it is beautiful and pristine. Enjoy your hike.

Plan for lows in the mid 20s, highs in the mid 60s. As you get a little closer look for a 10 day forecast and check the 5 day forecast before you leave.

Registered User Mountain Shuttler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Plan for lows in the mid 20s, highs in the mid 60s. As you get a little closer look for a 10 day forecast and check the 5 day forecast before you leave.
    Really? Highs in the mid 60's,huh. I was up at Hog Pen Gap Saturday and it was as warm as it gets this time of year and it was 52 degrees that afternoon. I just got through talking to my friend who lives up at Neel Gap and it's another warm afternoon with a temperature of 50 degrees. Lows can be as cold as the single digits(Neel Gap was 7 degrees the weekend before last) and highs can only be in the 20's with snow and ice! There are NO ACCURATE WEATHER FORECASTS for the mountains! I run a shuttle service and ACTUALLY HIKE MYSELF so anyone feel free to personal message me with any weather,trail,or road conditions.

Record high and low for Hiawassee, GA for March 1 are 80 and 14. Average 56 and 35. It could get to zero and six feet of snow or 90 but it ain't likely.

Images

I've always used the forecast for Suches or Hiawassee. Check the forecast a day or two before you head out, allow for the lapse rate, 5 degrees Fahrenheit colder per thousand feet and that'll be close enough.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Images

mountain forecast.com u can check the weather for each mountain and at differnt elavations
    We can stop here,or we can keeep going...

Journal Entries
    Images

Agreed - cannot predict 3 days out - so go with this info as posted above... and pay attention to the night numbers....

Hiawassee, Georgia Weather

AccuWeather
    56°F
    Feels like 59°
    Clear

High: 56°
    Wind: 7 mph SSW
    Low: 30°
    Humidity: 52%
    Visibility: 10 miles
    Barometer: 30 in

Foreca

52°
    Clear

50°
    Clear

5 Days

56°

30°

Mostly Sunny
    precip 38%

Tue, 21
    56°
    36°

Partly Cloudy
    precip 33%

Wed, 22
    64°
    45°

Mostly Sunny
    precip 34%

Thu, 23
    66°
    50°

Partly Cloudy
    precip 93%

Fri, 24
    54°
    29°

Partly Cloudy
    precip 44%
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Here are two PWS close to the AT in GA. My PWS, Grassy Gap AT, sits about 250 yards from the AT between Gooch and Woody Gaps and the Blood Mtn Cove PWS is about .25 miles from the AT near Neels Gap. Both are approx 3000' elevation which is key to more accurate trail temps.

http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...p?ID=KGASUCHE4

http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...?ID=KGABLAIR13

Registered User Mountain Shuttler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Record high and low for Hiawassee, GA for March 1 are 80 and 14. Average 56 and 35. It could get to zero and six feet of snow or 90 but it ain't likely.
    Hiawassee,GA ain't on the AT! You would know that if you ACTUALLY LIVED IN THIS AREA like I do and I can GUARANTEE you that it won't be 90 degrees on the AT here that time of year! It was 9 degrees at Tray Gap in April of 2007. That is on the AT! You would also know that if you TRAVELLED TO AND HIKED ON the the GA Section REGULARLY like I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Shuttler View Post
    Really? Highs in the mid 60's,huh. I was up at Hog Pen Gap Saturday and it was as warm as it gets this time of year and it was 52 degrees that afternoon. I just got through talking to my friend who lives up at Neel Gap and it's another warm afternoon with a temperature of 50 degrees. Lows can be as cold as the single digits(Neel Gap was 7 degrees the weekend before last) and highs can only be in the 20's with snow and ice! There are NO ACCURATE WEATHER FORECASTS for the mountains! I run a shuttle service and ACTUALLY HIKE MYSELF so anyone feel free to personal message me with any weather,trail,or road conditions.
    Hiawassee,GA ain't on the AT! You would know that if you ACTUALLY LIVED IN THIS AREA like I do and I can GUARANTEE you that it won't be 90 degrees on the AT here that time of year! It was 9 degrees at Tray Gap in April of 2007. That is on the AT! You would also know that if you TRAVELLED TO AND HIKED ON the the GA Section REGULARLY like I do!
    now now. no need for anger

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Why must you create suffering?
    dalai_lama-web.jpg
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I have lived and hiked in the area for a long time and I can say that temperature can vary greatly (and can have warm afternoon temps) despite what some angry people say. Wait until last possible forecast before making plans but plan for cold nights regardless.

Yep, I know that. Stayed at the Budget Inn last time through. I think it got down in the teen last year when I was on Mount Rogers around May 1, lotsa frost, beautiful. The weather in them Georgia foothills ain't that bad compared to some of the real mountains I've hike in or even Mt. Washington. You ever make it off the Georgia section?

Hiawassee is about 2,000 feet. You need to subtract about 5 degrees F off the Hiawassee temperatures to get the average trail altitude, probably around 3,500 feet.

It was over 60 at Neel Gap a few days ago. Right now it's around 29. As others have said, it's impossible to guess more than a few days in advance. Also, if you put in a Search of a town on an Internet "weather info" site, be aware that actual conditions on the Trail may well be very diffferent, i.e. even tho we're technically in Blairsville we NEVER have the same weather thay do. We're right on the Trail a little more than 30 miles from Springer.....feel free to call us (706) 745-6095 if you want to know what it's like here....just be aware that just a few miles away, like atop Blood Mountain, things could be totally different. Late February can bring winter conditions or spring ones......within hours of each other. Plan and pack accordingly, even if it means bringing extra clothes you may in fact not need.

Predicted low of 32 on Blood Mountain tonight, 16 on Friday night.

I was stomping around Cowrock Mountain yesterday, and it was rainy, in the 40s. Quite pleasant, compared to how cold it was a week ago (freezing) but not the warm, sunny, 60s we had a few weeks before.

It's unpredictable. Be prepared.

++ New Posts ++