WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Knife or Multi Tool?

I would like your opinion on what to carry, basic knife or multi-tool? I'm new to back packing and have been on two trips of about 30 miles each carrying both, rarely used knife and didn't use multi-tool. I'm thinking ditch the multi-tool but I'm still dealing with what if. What do you folks think? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated and valued. Thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

you'll only need a small knife.

Happy Hiking
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

I have never needed more than a tiny knife with maybe and inch and a half blade. But I carry a nifty small multi-tool knock off from cabelas because it's so cool to have
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I carried the multi-tool but never used it. I now only carry a small 2 inch knife that has 2 blades one sharp and one is a flat tip screwdriver that can be used for prying. This knife is a US Navy issue TL-28 that was issued to me about 35 years ago.

Images

I'm the type that totes extra stuff. While I worked construction I had a multi-tool with me all of the time. I got used to that so I still carry one everywhere I go. I seldom use it on backpacking trips but it's nice to have when I do want it. It is extra weight but I suffer the weight to have it when I want/need it and would suffer not having it at that time. I also carry a VERY hefty Becker BK2. It weighs a full pound but I use it everyday, even on the AT! It comes down to personal preference, what you're comfortable with/without and whether carrying the extra weight is worth having it in a emergency. Also are you backpacking the AT or the Sipsey Wilderness? What you NEED for one will not be the same as for the other. Because you are new, I suggest you continue to carry both until you KNOW which YOU want to have, if either... Happy New Year!!!!

Images

I carry a Leatherman Micra which has a small 1 1/2 inch knife blade, scissors, and other stuff. I pretty much only use the knife and scissors, which are great for cutting moleskin.

Knife. Losing a multi-tool can be expensive, plus, most of the tools are "miniaturized" to the point of being useless.

Besides a knife, the only tool I've used on the trail is a sewing needle.

If you have gear which requires a wrench, you need to find new gear.

Back when we all carried external frame packs, it was pretty much a universal thing to carry a small pair of needle-nosed pliers with cutters and some baling wire in case the pack frame broke. They hardly ever did (mine never did), so we carried that extra few ounces for nothing, unless we used the wire for hanging things in shelters or on trees (a bad practice).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

The bottle and can openers could come in handy also. I'm packing one.

I only carry a small retractable razor blade knife. I buy them at the hardware store for $1. They have the razor blade that you can break the end section off of. Cheap and light.

Images

I'll be bringing a multi-tool for the added benefit of being able to cut my nails with the scissors on it, as mine grow insanely fast.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
    I would like your opinion on what to carry, basic knife or multi-tool? ... Your opinion would be greatly appreciated and valued. Thanks
    I've carried large and small knives, large and small multi-tools, and an assortment of other implements. What I found was that I almost never used any of them. I'm down to a small Gerber with plastic handle and approx 2" blade. Some hikes it never comes out of my pocket.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

ive found i need no more than a single edge razor blade, but i still carry a swiss army knife as a security blanket, and ive found bears are deathly afraid of the corkscrew attachment.

I carry a small Swiss Army pocket knife having one blade, scissors, nail file with screwdriver tip, tweezers and toothpick. I keep it in a ditty bag inside my pack, and rarely use it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    ive found i need no more than a single edge razor blade, but i still carry a swiss army knife as a security blanket, and ive found bears are deathly afraid of the corkscrew attachment.
    Bears have some dark secrets (they hibernate because of hangovers), it just reminds them way too much of their decisions in life.

Images

I gave up the multi-tool and now carry a small pocket knife. The same one I carry every day even when I'm not backpacking. The only other "tool" I carry is a nail clippers. No knife or scissors will cut my toe nails, which seem to grow much faster than usual when I'm hiking.

Multi-tool= bad weight. You really only need a small knife like a Victorinox Classic.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I carry a Leatherman Micra which has a small 1 1/2 inch knife blade, scissors, and other stuff. I pretty much only use the knife and scissors, which are great for cutting moleskin.
    Exactly my reply. Nice and light and compact.

Quote Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
    I would like your opinion on what to carry, basic knife or multi-tool?
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze, Bobo.
    If you can think of a use for the pliers, can and bottle opener, screwdrivers, etc. then bring it.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I've carried large and small knives, large and small multi-tools, and an assortment of other implements. What I found was that I almost never used any of them. I'm down to a small Gerber with plastic handle and approx 2" blade. Some hikes it never comes out of my pocket.

Rain Man

The same is true for me. I have carried a wide assortment of knives and "multi-tools (of various sizes) over the past 30-40 years (both while hiking/camping and while serving in the military).

I find that I occasionally use the 1"-2" blade of a small knife (although sometimes I can go for a whole 1-2 week hiking trip and never use a knife even once). However, I don't know if I have EVER personally "needed" to use any of the gadgets/tools on the multi-tool. (I have used the pliers and scissors a couple times "because they were there"--but I could have survived without them.)

On the trail, I have "often" loaned my multi-tool to various folks--who have chosen to carry much heavier gear that has lots of screws, bolts, nuts, valves, grommets, gaskets etc. They needed my multi-tool to help repair their stuff. Ironically, they choose to carry 50-70 lbs of heavy and complex gear--which is also more prone to breakdown. Yet, they fail to carry a few ounce multi-tool to help them repair all of their stuff when it breaks down!

I still choose to carry a small multi-tool with me--even though I don't use anything other than the knife. (I know, call me "crazy"). My full gear load is somewhere between "lightweight" and "ultralight". However, when it comes to my gear, I still have trouble fully abandoning the philosophy of: "It's better to have it--and not need it. Than to need it--and not have it". Some habits are hard to break. I feel better prepared knowing that I have a small (lightweight) multi-tool with me "just in case". (For the record, I have never used my small first aid kit either. Yet, I still carry it with me!)
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

I had a Navy corpsman whip out a gerber and pull out a NASTY sliver I got one time. Then realizing what she had done, begged me to never tell... I had my fingers crossed

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++