WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Book

Images

Default Book

Everyone thinks I should write a book. Would you buy it? It would be a north american backpacking and outdoor person's book -it would feature the following:
    Basic How to stuff: trip planning - from equipment to where to leave your keys - it wouldn't just be AT but would use it as a basis for a lot
    How to hike, what to wear, how to act, how to pitch tents, hammocks, sleep in shelters, hang food, stay dry
    Fitness and well being for the long distance hiker
    First Aid - there is plenty of this but I would do it from a real hikers perspective (I'm a WFR, but I wouldn't right a ton on this)
    Cooking: from alcohol and wood stoves to pocket rockets, Coleman Camp stoves and everything in between - how to grocery shop and lots of recipes for the backpacker
    Philosophy analysis - ultra light, lightweight, more or less average, carry the kitchen sink
    How to build a campfire (even when its halfway between rain and snow) and why not to build a bunch of fires
    I wouldn't have a bunch of map and compass, bow and drill and survivalist stuff but I might touch on this - more like how to keep lighters dry and get cell service by climbing a tree
    Things nobody writes about like how to smile when you hitch-hike and how much to tip bartenders
    Leave no trace: in a not preachy, not holier than thou, non-elitist way - just taking care of the woods
    Anthropology and Geography, History of the AT, backpacking and other north american backpacking - human and physical sides of both
    I'd also add humor, photos etc.
    there are a ton of books out there but they are either very specific (like the trails of the upper east end of such and such forest) or really non comprehensive, or something else
    I'm thinking its a $25 book and it costs $12 to make, $5 goes to the ATC and the rest to me?
    I've done 1 AT thru-hike - spend 30 - 80 nights a year backpacking - am also a climber, kayaker, and runner - as qualified as many, I guess -- I'd probably draw on a partner or two
    ok - tell me why I'm crazy, it won't work or has already been done, etc.

Images

I think you should go for it if you feel up to the challenge. I think if it is going to get a lot of readers
    I would think you should keep the price in the $15 range. That's about my limit on a how to book.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I think you should go for it if you feel up to the challenge. I think if it is going to get a lot of readers
    I would think you should keep the price in the $15 range. That's about my limit on a how to book.
    thanks - I'm doing some research on publishers of outdoor books - there are two companies that come to mind: wilderness press and the mountaineers - you may be right about the $15 range - I would want to make it a good book for beginners but not a book for "dummys" - enough good stuff - recipes and so forth for the experienced folks to pick it up

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Everyone thinks I should write a book....
    ok - tell me why I'm crazy, it won't work or has already been done, etc.
    If "everybody" thinks you should write a book, then why are you asking us? It's that crazy writing style that might drive some not to buy such a book. But maybe that's just the pet peeve inside the grouchy old editor inside me?

I say best to you. If YOU tell yourself to write a book, that's enough. (But if you have to pretend an impossibility, well there you lose me.)

Grouchy Editor Mode OFF.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

probably a losing proposition

Images

sex sells, work it in somehow.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    sex sells, work it in somehow.
    ha ha - sort of like somewhere between how to care for your stinky filthy feet and how to get the campfire stink out of your drawers

Images

ha ha - sort of like somewhere between how to care for your stinky filthy feet and how to get the campfire stink out of your drawers
    "And while your skimpies are airing out and you're in the buff, why not kill two birds with one stone?" There. That's how you can work it in.

Images

I'm starting to draft "Pink Blaze - the thru-hiker's guide to picking up women on the AT". It should sell 1000's of copies at Trail Days. Our booth will be easy to find - just look for the one with the pole dancing hiker chicks.

I'm going to write a hiking book about me and my overweight/alcoholic friend's attempt at thru-hiking the AT. I'll throw in lots of humor, some distorted history, and insult all southerners. Oh, I'll make-up alot of crap too. Do you think it will sell?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I'm going to write a hiking book about me and my overweight/alcoholic friend's attempt at thru-hiking the AT. I'll throw in lots of humor, some distorted history, and insult all southerners. Oh, I'll make-up alot of crap too. Do you think it will sell?
    I think it did sell pretty well - it's a real shame that most of the general public's view of the AT is about a couple of yellow-blazing green horns
    Last edited by Papa D; 01-01-2012 at 13:31. Reason: grammar

I've put a lot of thought into into writing a book about my own adventure along the trail. Not so much for selling, as giving to family and friends that care to read the actual story. Maybe if I do a decent job, then reading it every spring, I can cure myself of Springer Fever? If only it would be so simple.

If you make a Kindle edition I will buy it. I mostly buy Kindle books now.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ya already got it written? Put it out there see waht happens. I'll buy a copy.

Images

I think it did sell pretty well - it's a real shame that most of the general public's view of the AT is about a couple of yellow-blazing green horns
    Some would say that most of the hikers on the AT are yellow-blazing green horns.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Some would say that most of the hikers on the AT are yellow-blazing green horns.
    Ha! That's exactly what I was going to say. I think Bryson pretty much nailed the majority of AT users, and people who want to use the AT. He's a smart man, knows exactly who his target audience is.

Which, by the way, if you're going to write a how-to book, make sure you know exactly what target audience you are writing for. Other than that, if you want to write a book, you should totally do it! I know a bunch of people who have written a book, almost all of them unpublished, and they all said it was a great thing to do. And the ones who are published think that even more.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I know a bunch of people who have written a book, almost all of them unpublished, and they all said it was a great thing to do. And the ones who are published think that even more.
    \

That's a great point. I have an unpublished novel that I have sitting around... somewhere... the process of doing a batch of creative writing that long, and giving it that much dedication... that was just such an experience. By the end I honestly didn't care if it was published. I ended up giving copies to a few of my friends to read after my attempts fell short. They liked it, passed their copies along. Those friends apparently did the same. No idea where the copies are now. It's kinda exciting.

Images

please be sure to include a chapter on bears

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    i'm starting to draft "pink blaze - the thru-hiker's guide to picking up women on the at". It should sell 1000's of copies at trail days. Our booth will be easy to find - just look for the one with the pole dancing hiker chicks.
    shut up and take my money!!!

Images

Somewhere I have the outline for a hiking manual I planned to write years ago. "LSD - Long Slow Distance" Geared towards thru-hikers to describe the differnt techniques & how to plan. So much has changed over the years in gear & mindset it is amazing. A whole lot has changed since I did my thru back in 88. One thing that really hasn't is the number of inexperienced hikers attemping to hike a thru. Humerous stories can help make a point. For example; early on my hike I did a short rainy day to seek shelter as Gouch Gap. On hiker came in bitching about the weight of his pack. I asked if he did much backpacking before. His response was "No, but I read a lot of Ed Garvey." Going thru his pack he had an industial first aid kit in its plastic box 2" x 12" x 14", 500 count box of q-tips, full size cotton bath towel...brand new high end silva compass complete with leather case. When I suggested he might want to keep the compass but lose the case he confesed he didn't know how to use it. When I asked why he had it he reponded that it was on the list of things every hike should have.

So go ahead & write it. There are enough potential thru-hikers out there for a market. Add stories to make it funny enough that armchair & internet hikers will buy it. Heck even I bought Bill Bryson's book after I hiked the AT & an aunt read it & suggesed it to me. What a waste of money, but it sold.

If you want help help/opinions I be more than happy to give you mine & permission to use some funny little stories accumulated from the AT, PCT, LT & other hikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++