WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Will guidebooks do?

Will a new updated data book and thru-hikers companion suffice or should I go with the whole map/guidebook set?

Images

I suppose it depends on how you want to hike and what you want to get out of those materials, no? I mean, if you really wanted to, I'm sure you could make it the whole way just by asking other hikers about things or looking at their materials.

Can the maps be bought along the way at stores in town?

Hey I see that you are a 23 year old thru planner, like me. I started playing poker just before the boom and played a lot online during college. We should keep in touch and share planning strategies for the coming months. Either way, good luck!

We also have one other thing in common, we both are clearly trying to save up our cash right now. Happy New Year!
    the dude abides

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Yes, any of the data books will suffice. I don't know why you'd go with the data book AND the Companion, though. Personally, just the Companion is enough. I've also heard good things about AWOL's "The AT Guide."

With that said, others here have accurately noted that "you don't need maps until you need them." You never know when you'll want or need bailout options, or when you accidentally end up on a side trail. It's also really nice to see what's around you. I'm kind of a map dork so I enjoyed having the maps, but there were a few, several-hundred mile sections I did with just the Companion.

Totally up to you. Maps are definitely expensive and the trail can be done with any of the guidebooks.

You can get away with neither. That said, its always nice to know some stuff without having to always ask someone what's there. I find the maps overkill and not worth the weight. Also, I started with the data book AND companion last year, and ended up just using the data book for starting fires. The data book doesn't really tell you anything about the towns your gonna need to stop in. The companion is nice. I prefer AWOL's AT guide (picked up in hot springs) AWOL'S guide has everything you need to know, in a nice and easy to use format. But if you think you might get frustrated from seeing the elevation profile (which can be misleading from time to time) everyday, id go with just the companion. Either way, alls you need is the companion OR the AWOL's AT Guide.

Images

You don't need any maps - they are fun - your really don't have to have any guidebook but I would strongly recommend either the Thru-Hikers Companion or the AT Data Book - both are published each year by the ATC - you could also probably get away with a book that is a couple of years old -- the Data Book goes right in a zip-lock and you can carry the whole thing - info is pretty Spartan - I personally prefer the Thru Hikers Companion - when you get one, tear it into (about 4ths or 5ths) -obviously you don't need the PA pages when you are hiking in NC but you might want to look as far ahead as VA for planning - don't do a bunch of mail drops but DO drop yourself the next sections of the book - The Companion also has good detail on each shelter, where the water source is, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by thepokerkid227 View Post
    Will a new updated data book and thru-hikers companion suffice
    yes.........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    Totally up to you. Maps are definitely expensive and the trail can be done with any of the guidebooks.
    Beware the canary in a coal mind. If the maps are too expensive for someone to thru-hike, then they may not have enough money to do a thru-hike anyway.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I happen to have the whole map set in my (vast) collection of backpacking stuff (my basement is really more comprehensive than most outfitters) and they are fun for referencing stuff so I can wax eloquent on whiteblaze -- I'd say, 20 years or so ago, the maps were (maybe) more important - - navigation on the AT is really nearly idiot proof - - what you NEED to know is how far to the next / previous shelter/road from a particular landmark (like another shelter or road) - Companion Pages are perfect for this.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I didn't carry maps, i used AWOL's book.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Maps help you if you get in trouble....hurt and need an alternate trail off the AT, or if someone else gets hurt. Also, it's helpful if you run into bad weather and need to find an different route.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

http://www.trailjournals.com/shadesofblue

I used AWOL's guidebook with no maps and found that totally adequate until I got to Maine and hurricane Irene came through. At that point I sure wish I'd had some maps to identify road-walks to get around the streams that were totally impassable. Fortunately when I was in Caratunk, I was able to look at maps to help with one tough crossing that I knew was ahead, but for another I just lucked out and got some walk-around directions from a passing motorist. If I ever get up in Maine again, I'll definitely bring AWOL's guide and maps since footbridges over streams are almost non-existent in that state. I don't think the maps would be necessary for any other state.

I just ordered AWOL's 2012 NOBO edition and I plan to also pick up some maps due to the feedback on here, I personally didnt think they would necessary but the consensus seems to be leaning towards to get them.

Thanks

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Agree with rusty. And he did some of the trail by helicopter!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

I really wouldn't buy the map sets because you "need them" -- you really don't -- AWOLs book or companion pages will work fine -- if you really decide you want maps along the way here are some places in the first 500 miles you could get maps: Neels Gap, NOC, Outfitter in Hot Springs, Uncle Johnny's in Erwin, Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus ..... just to name a few (there are a bunch more). The ATC is obviously the best source for "entire map sets" but like I said, you really don't NEED them.

I have someone willing to lend me some older maps, will maps ranging from 2000-2007 do or should I get newer ones?

Stir Fry

I got a set of maps up to Harpers Ferry. Used them the first couple of trips I went on, but in the last three years all I have used in The A T Guide. I would like to see some maps printed on the same stuff AWOL uses on the little pocket maps. Map on one side elevation profile on the other.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Images

Older maps shoud suffice with new companion book. Some new relos & shelters but companion will mention the shelters. Full guideboks are a waste. To much no relevant history, turn by turn direction, & what need for a hike info.

The AT trail is printed on the state hiway maps of the states it runs through. These are free for the asking by email -- the states will mail them to your address. These are good enough to let you know where you are and such.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++