WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ADT and AT intersects.

Can somebody tells me were the ADT and the AT intersects. I am thinking about a tru hike south to north on the A.T. then hiking down to were they intersect. Walk to ocean then turn around and head west on the ADT.

Images

In WV, on the C&O Canal towpath (they share the towpath for a few miles).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    In WV, on the C&O Canal towpath (they share the towpath for a few miles).
    I just did a quick google search of the Canal towpath - looks pretty - 184m. hum? -can you do it like a traditional backpacking trail - camping and such?

There are campsites about every five miles and the Towpath goes by quite a few towns making resupply easier. It is geared and designed more for bicyclists, nut I found it ok for hiking. Not too much of backcountry though if thats what you are looking for.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Thank You, it seems like the ADT doesn't have to much wilderness until in the west. In the east a lot of small towns and road walking. But still walking sea to shinning sea. I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetspot View Post
    Thank You, it seems like the ADT doesn't have to much wilderness until in the west. In the east a lot of small towns and road walking. But still walking sea to shinning sea. I can't wait.
    Good luck! The ADT is about 80% road walk. Check out Lion King's videos on you tube - he's done the whole thing. Getting across Utah and Nevada look to be real challenges.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

80% road walk! O.O

Images

Sweet Spot....

Ken and Marcia Powers did the whole ADT several years ago and have their journey posted on trailjournals.com. Do a search for their name and you will find them.

Unfortunately, there seems to be very few long distance trails that have the wilderness experience on the east coast other than the AT. The only others that I have researched that come close are the GET, The Finger Lakes Trail, Long Trail, Tuscarorra and Mid State Trail. If you wanted to walk north on the AT and then continue westbound at some point, the best option is to hike north on the AT til you get to Jersey and head north on the Long PATH (different than the Long Trail) that takes you into the Catskills where you will intersect the Finger Lakes Trail eastern terminus. This will take you westbound across NY State where you will meet up with the North Country Trail heading into OH and the Buckeye Trail and finally up into upstate Michigan along the North Country Trail around Lake Superior. Nimblewill Nomad has done a video series on You Tube about his NCNST trip.

If you want an alternative north bound path, check out the Great Eastern Trail (GET) http://www.slideshare.net/tarksales/presentation-get

T
    here is still some road walk in the southern sections, but you could hike the AT north and pick up the GET after Peters Mountain in VA. The northern Terminus of the GET is at the Finger Lakes Trail. Then head west once again.

Another shorter east west path is the C&O / Great Allegheny Passage (GAP). It runs from Washington DC to Pittsburgh. Much like what Restless mentioned earlier...., this is both a bicycle and hiking path. Nice thing about this trail is that there is plenty of camping and resupply options. Do a search on You Tube for the GAP and you will see a series on that one also.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all, That is why I want to hike the ADT because of Lion King and Ken and Marsha trail journals. I love reading them and watching Lion King on You tube. I also have read American Discoveries. I just wan to start. Waiting for the winter to be almost over before I head out.

Journal Entries

I've been studying the ADT, but have no current plans to hike it.

Here is a good book by someone who ran it.

I live in Colorado. It's not as much bad roadwalking as it might appear. Section lines, short trails, sides of irrigation ditches, bicycle trails, a 20 mile stretch of dirt road that is really pretty. (Shelf Road.) And of course, part of the Colorado Trail.

225 miles in Missouri is the KATY trail which is a bicycle trail.

There are no maps, but I've figured a way to import data into Streets and Trips to at least get a good idea. Then you can use Streets and Trips to find services. If you get that far in planning, I can explain how to do that. You'd have to get the gpx points from the ADT website.

Personally, I enjoy roadwalking as much as trail hiking. It's just different.

Images

I hiked 3300 miles of HikaNation back in 1980/81. That was the precursor to the ADT (even though Backpacker Magazine refuses to acknowledge that fact and AHS, for the most part, remains Mum on the issue).

HikaNation started in San Francisco in April 1980 (I joined at Bryce Canyon in July) and ended in Lewes, Delaware in May 1981. We hiked trails whenever there was one close to our route, two-track jeep roads, Forest Service/BLM roads, gravel roads, local pavement, and occasionally US Higway 50.

It was the most amazing year of my life, and was my introduction to long-distance backpacking. This past year we celebrated our 30th anniversary down in Arkansas (yep, our route when through there). We had about 30 folks attend.

Hiking across the country like that was a very unique way to see it. Road walking is very different than trail hiking, but very, very enjoyable if you give it a chance. You spend a LOT more time interacting with locals, get to see many more historical sites. Since towns, for the most part are about 8 miles apart, you can eat breakfast in one, hike to the next for lunch. Talk about trail magic!! We got a TON. Folks in Kansas and Oklahoma aren't bombarded by backpackers, to they go out of their way to be nice and supportive.

In case you can't tell, I would whole-heartedly recommend anyone who thinks they may enjoy it to give it a try. Even if you don't think you would enjoy it, you may be surprised.

PM if you have any questions or want some anecdotes about what we found along the way.

I have down loaded all the information the ADT web site has available. The closer I get I will contact you also. I hope I will be able to get thru with the AT and back down to Delaware by September. I will be taking the lower trail so I will be going through Pueblo. The weather here has been so nice I feel like I should have already started.

Whats over the next hill? Pioneer Spirit's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Give us a holler when you reach Ohio. The ADT, NCT and Buckeye trail are congruent for a couple hundred miles across southern Ohio. It alternates between road walk and trails but the experience is worth it.
    Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Buckeye Trail 2,700 miler.

Those three congruent trails run within about seven miles of my house. There is a bit of road walking but getting to see beautiful southern Ohio is worth it.

Before I start my hike down the ADT I had planned on contacting each state Representative. I think would be very helpful. Thanks all for the input. Hope to see you on the trail.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Good luck! The ADT is about 80% road walk. Check out Lion King's videos on you tube - he's done the whole thing. Getting across Utah and Nevada look to be real challenges.

80% road walk?!! LMAO!! Where do you get your trail info? Almost entire trail in CO is off road, at least half in CA is off roads, UT is almost all trail. Missouri is almost all trail. Ohio is the same. Do you include rails to trails as road walks?

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    80% road walk?!! LMAO!! Where do you get your trail info? Almost entire trail in CO is off road, at least half in CA is off roads, UT is almost all trail. Missouri is almost all trail. Ohio is the same. Do you include rails to trails as road walks?
    And believe it or not, Utah and Nevada are the 2 states I look forward to the most when it comes to doing the ADT.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    And believe it or not, Utah and Nevada are the 2 states I look forward to the most when it comes to doing the ADT.
    Both of which make sure you have water cahces or support, or you can literally die.

I had water buried and cached and was going through 3-4 gallons a day, but then I was out during there during summer, but that is how it fell so...and 80% roads????

No to the other poster, more like 33.3459372% roads. Some of which are service roads/dirt/BLM roads so thats not bad, the bad parts of roads to ME personally, are Delaware, some of Nebraska, West VA and a few other spots, when you get West of Denver (even though yes, there are still road walks) for the most part you spend a lot of time in the woods/bike paths/trails.

I suggest STICKING to the ADT directions in NEVADA, even though you do have to go through some dry areas as well, but man, what some beauty, some have to road walk 50 here, which I had to for one stretch but I went for Harvs directions and am a happier hiker due to that.

I also suggest Salt Creek trail in canyonlands, BUT BE WARNED, you will not see a soul, the trail is THICK with overgrowth, it is really really ahrd to find at spots and it will go into slot canyons at the end where there have been floods so there is no descernible way out, if you do this trail PAY ATTENTION or get into deep poo

enjoy

++ New Posts ++