WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ounces are the little-death

Default <6oz pants suggestions?

Looking for something that will double for running, also, so I'm hesitant to go for the AGG pants.
    Marmot Trail Wind is "unbelievably lightweight" but they don't give an actual number on their site.
    Suggestions?

I have a pair of Exofficio pants that weigh 9 oz. They are the lightest I've ever had.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

I carry pretty light Marmot Rain Pants -- they are very light and (with rare deep snow exceptions) are the only pants that I ever carry backpacking. Even in daytime weather in the 20s, I prefer shorts with running tights or long johns underneath -- if I wore pants, then, I'd have to carry some shorts.

I do run in these tights sometimes -- you might like:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...0-602&pcc=1128

I bought single-layer workout/wind pants from the evil Wal-Mart many years ago. Starter brand. Cheap and light. I think about 7 or 8 ounces. Have served me well. I like long pants around camp, shorts for hiking.

Eastern Mountain Sports Chorcura Pants @8.2 oz.

I would suggest the Montbell UL wind pants. About $68 and 2.5 oz.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

if they are going to be for running then dont waste the money on good pants. get something cheap out of campmor. you will sweat your ass off in anything good but i guess thats the whole idea for running..seirra trading post always has the marmot precip series on sale for 45ish$ after discounts.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Wind pants will be the lightest you can get, but they won't stand up to much abuse. I have a 4 oz. pair of the Thorofare Trekking Pant which I just love. They're light enough that you can wear them all day (which I will to try to ward off ticks up north), they dry very quickly, and they've held up to walking through a briar patch...something that I never would have tried with wind pants. Unfortunately Backpackinglight.com is getting out of the retail gear business and I'm not sure if these pants (and accompanying shirt) are offered by anyone else. They still have some size XS on clearance, half-off.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Pants half-off....must resist....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Wind pants will be the lightest you can get, but they won't stand up to much abuse. I have a 4 oz. pair of the Thorofare Trekking Pant which I just love. They're light enough that you can wear them all day (which I will to try to ward off ticks up north), they dry very quickly, and they've held up to walking through a briar patch...something that I never would have tried with wind pants. Unfortunately Backpackinglight.com is getting out of the retail gear business and I'm not sure if these pants (and accompanying shirt) are offered by anyone else. They still have some size XS on clearance, half-off.
    I wish I could buy the fabric for those pants so I could make my own.

Ounces are the little-death

Thanks a lot for the options.
    I didn't elaborate that I wouldn't be wearing these while actually hiking, just for lunch and dinner. Like someone said above, I hike in shorts. I had some very annoying bug problems last year and I'm trying to eliminate that with the lightest weight possible, along with adding a layer for sub-freezing running.
    The Montbell Dynamos seem about perfect.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I bought single-layer workout/wind pants from the evil Wal-Mart many years ago. Starter brand. Cheap and light. I think about 7 or 8 ounces. Have served me well. I like long pants around camp, shorts for hiking.
    Single layer? The one I saw has a mesh liner. You could save some weight by cutting out the liner, but that might cause the pants to stick when you get sweaty, and that would reduce range of motion.

Long before all the poly's and breathable membrane's we used Legging's 1.49 at the drugstore or free off the neighbors line

Images

Running shorts- 3.0 oz.

UA Leggings- 6.7 oz.

Montbell Rain pants-3.0 oz.

What mont-bell rain pants are 3oz? I don't see any that weight on their website today 1/28/12.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I wish I could buy the fabric for those pants so I could make my own.
    Liberty Ridge Pants Kit

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeTomorrow View Post
    What mont-bell rain pants are 3oz? I don't see any that weight on their website today 1/28/12.
    It's not the rain pants, it's the wind pants.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Liberty Ridge Pants Kit
    I have a set of pants made from that kit. I've also hiked PCT section A with a hiker that have the BPL Thoroughfare pants. I'm quite sure they're not made of the same fabric.

Buy a pair of nylon jogging pants at Walmart for $10. The nice thing about them is you can wash them in a sink or shower and wring them out and they are dry in 20 minutes. I just put them on slightly damp and they dry in a matter of minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++