WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Safety on the AT?

I was recently awoken at home, in bed, by an unknown intruder(who stole a ton of stuff btw haha). It got me to thinking about the safety of thru-hikers on the AT. How safe do you experienced hikers consider the trail to be? Is tenting more risky than staying at a shelter or is it the other way around? Also what are some ways that you can make yourself more secure?(other than hiking in groups as opposed to alone)

Any other general safety tips would be appreciated!

Images

You are way safer on the trail than in any town. Granted it is not unusual for a hikers outfit to be worth about 1k When you add it all up. Pawn value is about nill. Even solo hikers make trail friends quick & are protective of each other. To steal a pack & hike out...robber is caring more than person robbed. Only place I worry is close to roads & towns. Carry cash ID on you there or on a hitch, if going into store ask if you can place your pack at serice desk or take turns shopping.

From the Companion...

Safety —

If you tell friends you are planning a long-distance hike on the A.T., one of the first
    questions is likely to be, “Aren’t you afraid? What will you do to protect yourself?”
    There are dangers in the backcountry, but, because of mass-media publicity and the
    popularity of backpacking, your friend was likely speaking of the dangers posed by
    other humans. Violent crimes have occurred on the Trail, with a frequency rate of less
    than two every ten years, on a footpath more than three million people use each year.

The difference on the A.T. and in any wilderness setting—other than people’s expectations—
    is that you only have yourself and your instincts for protection. That means you
    must use common sense to avoid potential dangers. It is best not to hike alone. If you
    choose to, a few precautions can help keep you safe:

• Don’t tell strangers where you are headed or plan to camp for the night; don’t post
    plans in real time on on-line journals or blogs.
    • If you run into a suspicious person, consider moving on to another location.
    • Avoid camping or staying at shelters that are within a mile of a road crossing.
    • Leave an itinerary of your trip with family or friends.
    • If you use a Trail name, make sure the folks back home know what it is.
    • Even with a partner, don’t be lulled into a false sense of security. Two or more can
    also be vulnerable.
    • Eliminate opportunities for theft. Don’t bring jewelry. Keep wallets and money on
    your person rather than in your pack or tent. Leaving a pack unattended at trailheads
    or shelters is risky, even when it is hidden.
    • Trust your gut. Always.

ATC and most long-distance hikers strongly discourage the carrying of a gun on the
    Trail. Guns are restricted (you can carry with all the proper permits but not legally
    discharge) on national park lands (40 percent of the route) and in many other jurisdictions
    through which the Trail passes. Report any crime or harassment immediately to
    the local police and ATC. Contact ATC at (304) 535-6331 or <incident@appalachiantrail.
    org>.

Further advice can be found at <www.appalachiantrail.org/safetyawareness>.

Safety seemed to be quite the concern for many of the younger hikers...

Meeting several times a day to discuss the matter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Safety seemed to be quite the concern for many of the younger hikers...

Meeting several times a day to discuss the matter.
    Good for you - I discuss the topic with hikers I meet sometimes (mostly on-trail)
    Last edited by Papa D; 01-03-2012 at 08:25.

Images

Younger hikers have grown up in a time when conflicts are handled violently. Growing up the worse I ever saw was a fight or two that were not serious no one in my high school was killed by violence. Now that is the norm so their concerns are real I am glad that they are asking and preparing and getting information on keeping them safe and this forum has more information about this than any other resource. I appreciate all the advice that the seasoned are giving to these young hikers. What I hope happens is that these young hikers have a great experience on any trail and that they get to meet the good in people and the unity and comradery of the hiking world.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    thanks Spokes - all kidding about safety aside, people SHOULD NOT carry guns, big knives, pepper spray, swords, or any other weaponry on the trail (except maybe light sabers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that's your opinion but if folks want to they have a right to
    Quote Originally Posted by Six-Six View Post
    Sure glad I don't give a crap what the majority of folks think.
    i said folks have a right to protect themselves. i said nothing about a gun specifically
    Papa D, folks can choose to carry all sorts of things - the AT is not an airport where carrying something puts others at risk. Just because you see a knife as a weapon; and I see it as a tool and my survival. I do not have the right to threaten others. If I follow your take - Hiking sticks should be outlawed on the trail.

As for the beaten to death WB subject of guns - If you have taken the time to understand the safe handling, state laws and have a CWW almost all states now have right to carry laws on the books - there may be an additional license that you may need. I am OK with it.... I don't really care what you carry.

Someone in an above post mentioned states frowning on guns - got it wrong - and either I misread it or they goofed - licensing & taxes is a moneymaker for states.

For example, Florida has issued 2,031,106 licenses since adopting its law in 1987, and had 843,463 licensed permit holders as of July 31, 2011.Reported permit holders are predominantly male.

Turns out one cannot use the word gun in search.... that's a new one....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    From the Companion...

Safety —

If you tell friends you are planning a long-distance hike on the A.T., one of the first
    questions is likely to be, “Aren’t you afraid? What will you do to protect yourself?”
    There are dangers in the backcountry, but, because of mass-media publicity and the
    popularity of backpacking, your friend was likely speaking of the dangers posed by
    other humans. Violent crimes have occurred on the Trail, with a frequency rate of less
    than two every ten years, on a footpath more than three million people use each year.

The difference on the A.T. and in any wilderness setting—other than people’s expectations—
    is that you only have yourself and your instincts for protection. That means you
    must use common sense to avoid potential dangers. It is best not to hike alone. If you
    choose to, a few precautions can help keep you safe:

• Don’t tell strangers where you are headed or plan to camp for the night; don’t post
    plans in real time on on-line journals or blogs.
    • If you run into a suspicious person, consider moving on to another location.
    • Avoid camping or staying at shelters that are within a mile of a road crossing.
    • Leave an itinerary of your trip with family or friends.
    • If you use a Trail name, make sure the folks back home know what it is.
    • Even with a partner, don’t be lulled into a false sense of security. Two or more can
    also be vulnerable.
    • Eliminate opportunities for theft. Don’t bring jewelry. Keep wallets and money on
    your person rather than in your pack or tent. Leaving a pack unattended at trailheads
    or shelters is risky, even when it is hidden.
    • Trust your gut. Always.

ATC and most long-distance hikers strongly discourage the carrying of a gun on the
    Trail. Guns are restricted (you can carry with all the proper permits but not legally
    discharge) on national park lands (40 percent of the route) and in many other jurisdictions
    through which the Trail passes. Report any crime or harassment immediately to
    the local police and ATC. Contact ATC at (304) 535-6331 or <incident@appalachiantrail.
    org>.

Further advice can be found at <www.appalachiantrail.org/safetyawareness>.

Couldn't add more except the general comment that the further you are from civilization (like in a wilderness area or wilderness context) the safer you should generally be from people. One other little tip to remember -- if I shelter is closer than 1 mile to a main road, consider not staying there - especially on weekend nights - they are often attractive party spots for locals who might or might not be savory characters.

Let the paranoia begin! It's the thing that drives forum posts like "Should I carry a gun on the trail?" or "My parents bought me a SPOT device".

I say if you use the same skills you use to survive in everyday life you'll be OK. The fact is you can't control or predict every eventuality life or the trail will throw at you. So worry about things that matter like how much food to pack.
    Last edited by Spokes; 01-03-2012 at 08:49.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Let the paranoia begin! It's the thing that drives forum posts like "Should I carry a gun on the trail?" or "My parents bought me a SPOT device".

I say if you use the same skills you use to survive in everyday life you'll be OK. The fact is you can't control or predict every eventuality life or the trail will throw at you. So worry about things that matter like how much food to pack.
    thanks Spokes - all kidding about safety aside, people SHOULD NOT carry guns, big knives, pepper spray, swords, or any other weaponry on the trail (except maybe light sabers)

people SHOULD NOT carry guns, big knives, pepper spray, swords, or any other weaponry on the trail

Images

Well, I think my "opinion" is pretty much in line with what the ATC, most accomplished and experienced backpackers and most people on this forum would say. I think folks that carry weapons around should be marginalized --- the ones that carry guns (except maybe bona-fide hunters with shotguns or something) -- I for one, avoid as I would sketchy people near roads.

Well, I think my "opinion" is pretty much in line with what the ATC, most accomplished and experienced backpackers and most people on this forum would say. I think folks that carry weapons around should be marginalized --- the ones that carry guns (except maybe bona-fide hunters with shotguns or something) -- I for one, avoid as I would sketchy people near roads.
    whatever. folks have a right to protect themselves

I think folks that carry weapons around should be marginalized
    Don't forget bear feeders, let's marginalize the people that hang food which causes such a safety concern that sections of the trail are closed every year now for at least the past two.

Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
    Images

Sure glad I don't give a crap what the majority of folks think.
    Everyone's first question:
    "Wow - How tall are you?"
    Answer: "I'm 6'6""
    Ergo, my trail name: 'Six-Six'

Images

you probably don't realize how many people you've seen on the trail that have a gun. You probably have even hiked with them.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I'm impressed that this thread made it past 10 posts before the usual weapons debate started back up...To the opening poster, if you are thinking of carrying any sort of weapon, research the applicable laws in each state the trail passes through, they can vary substantially. That's all I'll say on the subject.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Several states along the trail disagree. There can be serious consequenses.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Several states along the trail disagree. There can be serious consequenses.
    i said folks have a right to protect themselves. i said nothing about a gun specifically

Hi...

I agree..especially the "multi-purpose" bear spray...!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++