WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT Georgia Shuttle...

AT Georgia Shuttle...

Anyone seeking a shuttle schedule, please go to www.hikeusa.biz and click on the 'A.T. Shuttle Info' tab...

I am now two weeks into shuttling hikers along the trail in Georgia. During the first week, the idea seemed ill-conceived as I had very few hikers in my van, plus the cost of fuel was spiraling out of control. Since then, things have picked up considerably with many hikers making a March 1st start, and with the onset of some really nasty weather. The Dahlonega Hiker Hostel has been doing a banner business, and I shuttle out of there in the mornings heading to Neels Gap and north. I am looking forward to a big March 15th start for hikers, and a bigger April 1st start...

For thru-hikers, the shuttle is perfect for getting in and out of towns, especially for those hikers that aren't all that keen on thumbing. For section hikers, the shuttle is perfect when seeking a way back to their vehicles after their hike, or seeking to shuttle away from their vehicles at the start of their hike. For slackpackers, the shuttle is perfect for getting a hiker to the start of their daily hike, with the good people from the Dahlonega Hiker Hostel picking them up at the end of their hike. There are other slackpack scenarios for hikers staying at the Neels Gap hostel, or at Goose Creek Cabins. I have taken a number of hikers in the mornings from the Dahlonega Hiker Hostel to Neels Gap so that they can shop for gear at the outfitter. Four hours later, when I return to Neels Gap, I get these hikers for the return trip to the hostel. A number of hikers have also used the shuttle to backtrack to Neels Gap to get needed gear. I generally then take them back north the next day after they have spent a night at the Neels Gap hostel. The motels in Helen and Hiawassee seem to be happy with me as I drop hikers off at their doors...

I hope to see some of you down here in Georgia this hiker season...

Pittsburgh
    www.hikeusa.biz

Images

Hey Pittsburgh! Are you going to be running the shuttle bus again this Spring?

No, I won't be shuttling this spring. It was a wonderful idea, and I thouroughly enjoyed every moment with the hikers, but financially it just won't fly.

Pittsburgh

Images

I understand, you took me from the Helen Best Western back to Josh & Leigh's place this past April, I appreciated the ride.

Are you open for regular shuttling though? I am trying to do Unicoi Gap to Wesser this coming April.

Yes, I will be doing regular shuttling this next season, but I traded in the van for a pickup truck, so no more groups. For shuttling in Georgia, call me at 706-254-2836, or email at [email protected], and if I can't do the shuttle, we'll find someone that can.

Pittsburgh

++ New Posts ++