WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default dehydrating refried beans

For some reason when hiking/excersizing I'm never hungry, I have to force myself to eat. One thing I love is burritos so I was wondering if I could dehydrate refried beans? Would one do this similar to spagehtti sauce? How well do they rehydrate?

Anyone have a recipie for making your own refried beans?

I do (dehydrate) black beans for my burritos.
    They work well.
    When I cook them, I make them almost paste-like rather than soupy, and I add some hot chili's to spice them up.
    Then I put plastic wrap on half of the trays (so that air can still flow through the other half to get to the trays above), and spread the paste on the plastic wrap.
    Dry, but not too dry (always a good rule for anything that you want to taste later).
    They hydrate up great. Again, don't add too much water and stir in a cup and add cheese, fresh garlic, maybe some guacamole or hot sauce from a condiment stand on your tortilla and you have a great lunch item.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Garlic
    Images

This is a great idea. You can also experiment with rehydrating them without a stove. I know of at least one stoveless hiker who does this during the day in a plastic container as he hikes, so they're ready for dinner. He eats them with corn chips. Beans and corn make an excellent meal. If dehrated black beans were available from more grocery stores, I would eat them all the time. I don't do mail drops when I hike and that's one meal I miss.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Friends don't let friends eat corn pasta.

Fantastic Foods has pinto and black beans in a box.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

+1 on Fantastic Foods. They're delicious and super easy to rehydrate. If you have a food coop near you, you might be able to get the dried beans in bulk for cheap.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Friends don't let friends eat corn pasta.

Fantastic Foods has pinto and black beans in a box.
    Yep - you can also buy dehydrated re-fried beans bulk at some health food stores - is there an Earth Fare store in your area? I could buy a bag and ship it to you - pretty cheap buying bulk. Here is my burrito recipe:

1) Knorr Fiesta Sides Taco Rice (get at pretty much any grocery)
    2) Refried bean mix
    3) Tortillas - easy to pack - good backpacking bread
    4) Go to taco bell, buy something, get 20 packs of sauce "to go" - they won't care
    5) shred some block cheese

Cook taco rice wet, add refried beans and cook a little -- slather this in the tortillas with some cheese and taco bell sauce. Add a little additional hot sauce if you want.

This goes a long way - for one person (even for a thru-hiker) this mix will make 5-6 burritos.

Sleep in separate tents - or in opposite sides of shelter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leftorright View Post
    For some reason when hiking/excersizing I'm never hungry, I have to force myself to eat.
    I'm the same way. Have little appetite and not much tastes especially good to me while hiking. I actually plan to buy a dehydrator today with gift cards I received for Christmas. Very timely thread for me! I enjoy refried beans. Will try some of the ideas in this thread!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Put some cooking spray on the dehydrating sheets before you start or you will need a chisel to get the dried beans off the sheet!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Use parchment paper under your beans. Buy fat free ones for best storage. I tend to use Fantastic Foods or similar but tastewise dried canned ones taste better IMO.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Technically, they then become redried beans, until you refry them again.

Images

gfs gordon foods has tortillas dehydrated beans and powdered cheese sauce, along with dehydrated soups etc..

From wikipedia. I did not know this...

The name is based on a mistranslation.[1] In Mexican Spanish, the prefix re is an informal form of emphasis meaning "very" or "well", not to be confused with the English re and the most common use of the Spanish prefix re outside Mexico, which indicates repetition. Thus, frijoles refritos, the Mexican name of this dish, should translate to English as "well-fried beans", not "refried beans". In this dish, the beans are often fried, but may also be baked, thus making the term "refried" a misnomer on two counts.[2]

So they are not all that different than some regular baked beans. Cool.

Dehydrated Beans/minute rice/tuna is a tasty simple combination. When I cook the beans I heavily season it with El Pato canned tomato sauce, jalpeno, and other seasonings (lime, chili powder, garlic, black pepper, chipotle, cilantro). Then boil the beans until done and reduce until there is less liquid. Then all you need is some instant rice and beans and you are set. Throw in some tuna pouches when you pack....

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    +1 on Fantastic Foods. They're delicious and super easy to rehydrate. If you have a food coop near you, you might be able to get the dried beans in bulk for cheap.
    Food coop. I had to read that twice. ;-)

wow this has given me a ton of ideas. Plus, now I finally know refried beans don't actually have a fried stage, which eliminates about 90% of my confusion/hesitation at trying this lol.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I bought some Santa Fe dehydrated black beans. Put a quarter cup each of them, and minute brown rice, some cumin, chili powder, cilantro, salt and pepper brought em to a boil, put the pot in a cozy and let them re-hydrate for 10 mins. Pretty good eating.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Playing with stuff I dehydrated and vacum sealed now Refried beans sounds great on a tortilla with salsa which I am dehydrating right now. I am planning a three week section hike in Sept and sending my self drop boxes at least three time if I can mostly not to waste time resupplying but also to eat better and maybe cheaper.
    Alcohol was involved!

I planned dried refried beans, dried salsa, and gravel (dried hamburger) for a burrito filling. Too much water to rehydrate, and we ate really wonderful chili for lunch, lol.

-FA

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    I planned dried refried beans, dried salsa, and gravel (dried hamburger) for a burrito filling. Too much water to rehydrate, and we ate really wonderful chili for lunch, lol.

-FA
    A mistake still worth eating ;-)
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Default Instant Refried Beans Mix

This instant bean dip smells & tastes wonderful!

1 lb. bag pinto beans OR black beans
    5 teaspoons cumin
    5 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons salt
    5 Tablespoons dried minced onions

1. Cook beans according to pkg. directions. Drain and rinse. (This step will help limit stomach/bowel gas)
    2. Dehydrate beans until very dry.
    3. In food processor, grind beans in small batches until a fine powder.
    4. Add cumin, chili powder, salt and dried onions. Blend well with the powder. Store in ziploc.

To use: mix 3/4 c. powder with 1 1/2 c. hot water. Cover and let sit for 5 min until thickened. Mix will thicken more as it cools.

1 pound beans = 4 c. dried mix = about 5 servings = about 8 c. reconstituted bean dip

Makes a great party dip, too!
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to" JRRTolkien

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++