WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: 2012 e2e

Registered User Caveman of Ohio's Avatar
    Images

Finished up the Long Trail this Saturday. Cam in at 21 days which includes two zeros and two neros of under three miles each day. Had some awful traction issues with my shoes and ended up on my ass daily. It was a great hike and I enjoyed Northern Vermont.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Told ya it was hard in the north. Lol Glad you made it back safe.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Registered User Caveman of Ohio's Avatar
    Images

I agree that some of the northern section was tough. However I enjoyed the ladder sections and using my arms to pull myself up over tough areas. The cheap shoes I purchased just caused alot of swearing during wet sections.

Shist is slippery when wet no matter what shoes you have on. I ate it going down Jay Peak just after getting off the ski trail. 2 HS kids i was hiking with laughed then fell right after me even though they had warning.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used brand new trail runners and glad I did. I fell the most while trying to hike up toward Camels Hump. The weather was horrible though. Eventually had to bypass it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    Shist is slippery when wet no matter what shoes you have on. I ate it going down Jay Peak just after getting off the ski trail. 2 HS kids i was hiking with laughed then fell right after me even though they had warning.
    I remember going down south from Jay Peak after a night-long rainfall a few years ago. It was such a scary event that I literally had to look for a sturdy footing for ten seconds before making the next move. That part of the trail was like a running stream on a steep and smooth rocky surfaces. I couldn't make it down without holding some tree trunks nearby, but luckily didn't fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I used brand new trail runners and glad I did. I fell the most while trying to hike up toward Camels Hump. The weather was horrible though. Eventually had to bypass it.
    Is there any bupass trail around Camels Hump? I didn't notice that if any. I surely thought about taking the bypass when approaching Mt. Mansfield under a bad weather, but decided to push on not wanting to miss the peak, or rehike it later some day. The visibility on top of Mt. Mansfield seemed only a few hundred feet. My luck again! there's no rain, only a gale of wind.

img_8756_original.jpg

img_8759_original.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Highway Man; 10-04-2012 at 11:17.

Yea, it was basically dry when i did it and still ate it. luckily it was more of a slide than anything and I was fine but damn. I am glad to be back doing NH 4k's and enjoying the grippy granite.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

There are a lot of places to get hurt on the LT between Canada and Maine Junction.

A few times I distinctly remember thinking that the LT isn't really a trail you want to hike solo...and definitely not if you're inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    There are a lot of places to get hurt on the LT between Canada and Maine Junction.

A few times I distinctly remember thinking that the LT isn't really a trail you want to hike solo...and definitely not if you're inexperienced.
    "Slippery when wet" is an understatement I haven't had good traction since I stopped wearing my Limmer boots with the old fashion Vibram lug soles. Maybe it's because I learned to hike on rugged New England trails that I find most other trails not very challenging and some what boring.

Oh, there is a bad weather by-pass around the Hump, but I don't think its a whole lot easier, although you do avoid that insane, exposed section on the south side of the Hump. (going up it's not bad, but coming down is another story!).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The only thing that bothered me about camels hump was the crazy climb.

It was dry and the rocks were hot when I went over it so I had pretty good traction.

Well except the tips for my hiking poles were... gone that was a bit of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Well except the tips for my hiking poles were... gone that was a bit of a problem.
    Yeah, the LT ate the tips of my poles too. Actually, it turns out they had pushed up into the lower tubing. I was wondering what was moving around in there. Without tips, the poles tend to slide off the rocks, so you have to be careful how thier placed if you need the support to keep from falling. Just one more thing to pay attention too. No daydreaming on the LT! I finally got to replace my tips at Manchester Center.

I still find it odd that you guys had your pole tips all beat up. maybe because mine are Carbide and not normal steel.. mine barely show any wear at all in the 2 years i've used them, LT, NH granite.. etc

Mine were a few years old already and had a few thousand miles on them.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    I still find it odd that you guys had your pole tips all beat up. maybe because mine are Carbide and not normal steel.. mine barely show any wear at all in the 2 years i've used them, LT, NH granite.. etc

Oh man, the trails in the northeast EAT hiking poles. The tips wear out and the shafts get bent. I finally finished off what were my roughest pair of poles in the 'dacks in late August. I was on a herd path and was climbing a typical northeast rockface, and fell backwards 10 feet and landed on my a$$. Meanwhile, my right pole got caught in a rock-crack and is now bent 90-degrees.

You know you've had a great summer when all of your gear is khacked.

The tips themselfs were okay, it's just that they pushed up and through the plastic holder at the bottom of the pole. That seems to be the weak link. I saw a lot of hikers who no longer even had the plastic ends on thier poles. I suppose once the tip breaks out or push up through the plastic holder, taking the plastic end off actually helps give you some grip. I've seen a lot of bent poles too. Easy to catch the end between rocks or roots.

I guess I am just nicer to mine. Mine are carbon... they won't bend just snap if it goes too far. I have a feel for when it's not going to unstick and let go of the handle so it wont break. another on my long list why i don't use straps.

Journal Entries

Finished my End to End of The Long Trail last Friday. A totally successful hike. Meet some great people out on the trail. The weather wasn't great (rained 14 of the last 15 days) but I dealt with it pretty well. I had snow on the last day at higher elevations. As others have said it was slippery,My record was 9 falls on one rainy day.The trail was very,very wet. I lost 14 lbs. on the hike which helps me get closer to my pre thru hike goal. Only been off the trail a few days and already miss it.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
++ New Posts ++