WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Rest breaks on ups

What does everyone do for rest breaks on climbing up hills/mountains? On short climbs, I tough it out to the top, but on long climbs (1 mile or more) I find myself hyperventilating and having to stop several times.

I have been told that I have two sppeds; stop and all out. I have been slowing my pace to one foot in front of the other and it helps sometimes.

Just posing a question.

Thanks,

Tumbleweed

I never stop on an uphill.
    I say never although I have been on a 13 day uphill already and of course I stopped many times.

But, except perhaps Katahdin, (on the AT) I won't stop on an uphill.

It takes too long to get that rhythm going again, get the breathing, heart-rate, footsteps, all going the proper speed for my efficiency.
    So, my rule of thumb is to pace my speed so that my lungs are not working more than one breath (in and out) for 4 steps.
    Of course, that means I must slow down on the uphills.

Using this technique, I usually find myself going the fastest near the top (where I rest if it's a long uphill).
    So, start out slow. real slow sometimes. Get into the rhythm and you'll find yourself hiking the 2nd half of the climb faster than the 1st. (read that as "more fun")

My 2 cents anyway.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

It took me awhile but I found the most efficient method is to force myself to slow down and not stop except for a break every hour. If its real steep or I am just tired, I switch into the "rest step" used by mountaineers, basically take a step, extend the leg straight out and lock the knee then take another step. There really is no way to do this step fast so if forces me to slow down and catch my breath. Its basically a mny break everystep. As a section hiker, I was always getting back in shape after a hike so on the first day or so, I am rest stepping more often and then as I get back into it I do it less. I also use poles which allows me to shift some load to my shoulders but also imposes a slower pace.

I did a long winter hike (13.5 hours) this weekend with a group that was slightly faster than me, the only way I got throuhg a couple of sections was to go into the rest step and ignore the rest of the folks, I didnt get to the summit much later then they did but the alternative was to cut the hike short.

Do note the rest step looks and feels strange and almost might fit into "Monty Pythons ministry of funny walks" but it does work as a way of slowing down.

Some other general notes are that everyone has their own pace and if you are in a group, the tendency is to follow the leader who may have a faster pace. Sometimes its best to get some distance between them and you so you cant see or hear them and then go at your own pace. Just agree to meet at some point, usually on an hourly break. I am a firm advocate of an hourly break all day, its feels a bit silly after the first hour or even at the second, but it makes a big difference in the afternoon. I find skipping the morning breaks does impact my ability in the afternoon

Images

rest step.once you stop its hard to get back in rythym

I usually wait for an unsuspecting hiker to wander by and after a few kind words to slow the non suspecting hiker,I quickly lack on to the ice axe loops(provided they aren't a gram weenie)and "Skitch"to the top.

Popping a Jolly Rancher always helped me tough out big hills. I take a break whenever my body tells me too.

If however I'm busted mid way,I'll inform the now suspecting hiker that I was able to remove from their Ice axe loop a potentially dangerous tick of unknown origin and became stuck in their ice axe loop.If on the other hand I make it to the top unnoticed then it's a quick leg-up for some great Ariel views on our down hill tryst.....the end.

Thanks all for the advice. I took copius notes.

Tumbleweed

Garlic
    Images

A couple of things to watch: You should be able to hold a conversation without pausing for breath. Adjust your pace accordingly. It's often critical to keep your insulation dry--do not sweat through any clothing you need to keep warm later on. Remove layers or slow down. I agree with those above about very infrequent stops on a climb. Whatever your normal rest breaks are, take them on climbs. Just a few minutes per hour is a good practice for me, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Sorry man bordem has set in.Like Spokes said,when I get tired I rest,but have played the tough it out game too.Every hill climb is different what works on one day,may not be the order of the day,the next day.The main thing for me is to take your breaks before it becomes apparent that you need one,or you may crash.

Best advive I was ever given..."The slower you walk, the faster you'll get there." That always seems to work for uphills and higher altitudes.

Images

I really prefer not to stop - unless I'm climbing a major multi-mile uphill. The best thing to do is work on establishing a pace and a rhythm such that you don't have to stop -- for a new backpacker or for someone who hasn't been out for a while, this pace might be really super slow. Like Garlic says, you should be able to walk at a "conversation pace" without overt sweating. The more you hike, the easier the hills will be and soon you'll just feel like you are rolling over them one after another - a great feeling indeed.

Garlic
    Images

A couple things about preparing for a long tough climb--make sure you're rested, fed, and hydrated before you start. And one thing I often did on the AT was dump my water. There's often a guaranteed spring at a shelter just after the summit, so why haul an extra three liters (nearly seven pounds) of water up the hill? Drink deeply and lighten your pack.

Also bear in mind that most injuries happen on the descent, when you're exhausted, maybe hypoglycemic, and stumbling, and a down-hill fall is much more serious than an up-hill fall. I always rest well at the summit, eat a meal, and start down very carefully.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    A couple things about preparing for a long tough climb--make sure you're rested, fed, and hydrated before you start. And one thing I often did on the AT was dump my water. There's often a guaranteed spring at a shelter just after the summit, so why haul an extra three liters (nearly seven pounds) of water up the hill? Drink deeply and lighten your pack.

Also bear in mind that most injuries happen on the descent, when you're exhausted, maybe hypoglycemic, and stumbling, and a down-hill fall is much more serious than an up-hill fall. I always rest well at the summit, eat a meal, and start down very carefully.
    Exelent point Garlic.Am currently reading"Not Without Peril"about Mt Washington and the accidents that plague hikers,Falls the #1 killer statistically of hikers.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

There are a lot of variables. I've just came through a long stretch of being anemic and I had no choice but to stop, very frequently, on almost any kind of up. At my worse, I bailed on a hike and just walked back to my truck and came home. So, what I mean to say is if there is some kind of medical issue that's unique to a hiker that should be taken into consideration.

But, under normal circumstances I do whatever I feel like. I don't have a rule to never stop or anything. Weather, how far I've already hiked, etc. all affect my hiking - uphill or down.

One thing that really bugs me is stopping at the end of the day at the bottom of a big climb knowing I'm going to have to tackle it first thing in the morning. If at all possible I try to position myself so that I can have a relatively easy first hour or so of hiking first thing in the morning.

I have to remind myself about the food energy part of climbing. Whenever I'm struggling on an uphill, I try to remember to grab a snack from my pocket. It really helps.

Then, I use whatever mental game I need to in order to keep my attitude in the right place. "Are we havin fun yet?"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post

Great advice! I am the same way. My advice 2= Dump the water, make sure your sugared up (not eaten a heavy meal or full of water), and walk at your pace. I walk slowly trying to not stop but if it is warranted - I stop! I am not racing I am site-seeing! I have found that as you climb some of the better views and mountain sites are seen. This is the reason I hike - backpack - camp - anyway.

Images

I can't make it up most--make that any--of the notch to ridge/summit climbs here in NH without breaks. Just too steep for me. I probably stop at least every 500 ft of vertical or so for a couple minute pack-on break, take a drink, look about, let the breathing and and heart rate decrease, etc. The rest step works for a while toward the end of a long climb. Sometimes it's just so steep though that I just stop whenever I have to. I'm better doing tough climbs in the morning. I hate a long uphill at the end of the day, that's when I really struggle.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I can't make it up most--make that any--of the notch to ridge/summit climbs here in NH without breaks. Just too steep for me. I probably stop at least every 500 ft of vertical or so for a couple minute pack-on break, take a drink, look about, let the breathing and and heart rate decrease, etc. The rest step works for a while toward the end of a long climb. Sometimes it's just so steep though that I just stop whenever I have to. I'm better doing tough climbs in the morning. I hate a long uphill at the end of the day, that's when I really struggle.
    I agree! and Me too!

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

On long steep up's I must stop too old and done too much damage to this body. I do slow way down. pick reasonable goals. I won't stop till I reach that tree or blaze whatever. When I stop I slow count to 60 and take deep long breaths. I don't try to chase the person in front of me. we all know where our next stop is. If you are the leader of a group going up hill and you stop to let others catch up look at the face of the last one to catch up when you see that person is rested then move on.
    Alcohol was involved!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++