WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Default 9th Annual Billville Winter Warmer - February 24-26, 2012

Well if your reading this, you survived yet another trip around the burning orb, so congrats on that!

Once again, I am very pleased to be able to officially announce the Ninth Annual Billville Winter Warmer! This year, the Winter Warmer will be held on February 24th, 25th and 26th as always and the wonderful, warm, welcoming and historic Doyle Hotel! (http://doylehotel.com)

Q: Are you still going to do that whole Q&A Format that you have been doing for 8 years now?

A: If you know ANYTHING about Billville, you know that we follow the David Letterman rule of jokes - run them into the ground until they are not funny anymore. Then KEEP running them into the ground until they become funny again. Its called recycling, people, and let me tell you this post is GREEN. Some jokes will be altered, however, for the appearance of freshness.

Q: OK, I'll humor you. What is a Winter Warmer?

A: The Billville Winter Warmer is an excuse to get together and hang out with friends who love the AT and hiking. It has been very loosely organized by proud Billville members like myself and Jester. While this is mostly a Billville event, all who love the trail and/or central Pennsylvania are welcome. There is no schedule of events. There are no seminars. This is the point where I say that there is very little sleep. Except we are getting old, so in fact it's more appropriate to say there is a slightly decreased amount of sleep.

As with every Warmer, there will be a Bad Hiker Poetry contest on Saturday night. This usually involves somewhat humorous performances by about a dozen hikers, and a lot of talking about how the contest was funnier last year, and certainly none were as funny as "Max Patch" or "Can I Bum a Cigarette".

Other options for the weekend are numerous, however, with many short hiking options right out the front door of the Doyle or a short drive away. Also, its only about an hours drive to take a tour of Gettysburg.

Q: Where is the Winter Warmer?

A: Seriously, I just told you. Its at The Doyle, and no I won't provide directions. There are several rooms available, and the quiet hours start at 2 am. If you would rather, there is a campground just down the street. Also, just outside of town the truck stop has rooms available as well. As always, most people stayed in the Doyle, however on a couple of different years, space did get a little tight. In recent years we've seen attendance just below the 50 mark, which seems just right. You should, however, be prepared to crash on a floor, or share your floor space with a friend! Don't have a friend? This is a perfect excuse to make a new one! Do you snore? Have fun getting in a fight with your new friend!

*NOTE - I have no control over the rooms and availability, so if you want to attend and guarantee yourself a room, please call the Doyle and talk to either Pat or Vickey.

(Please remember to pay your share to the Doyle even if you are sleeping on the floor!)

Please remember, The Doyle is kind enough to host this event, we love being here, and we love Pat and Vickey who provide this friendly place to gather in the middle of winter. Please treat the Doyle and this event with respect!

Q: What do I bring to the Warmer?

A: Bring nothing or bring everything. Hell, you don't even need to bring a change of clothing if you really don't want to!

Otherwise, you can bring hiking gear, but be prepared for snowy and icy conditions. Bring any photo albums that you would like to share. Got some hiking videos? Bring your DVD's. If you are a future AT hiker, bring your questions. If you are a past AT hiker, bring your answers. If your answers are different from Baltimore Jack's answers, be prepared to be told why you are wrong.

We would ESPECIALLY like to invite any hikers that are heading down to Springer to stop in at the Doyle on your way south. While there might be better ways to kick off your AT hike than hanging out at the Doyle and chewing the fat with some AT alumni, there are certainly much WORSE ways to start your hike. The Billville Winter Warmer - you could do worse.

Q: Anything else I should know about the Warmer?

A: Yes - Contra Dancing is still strictly prohibited. If you are planning to attend, please call The Doyle to make sure that there are rooms available. I get a lot of calls and emails last minute to see if there is bed space, etc... If you don't want to plan ahead, its no problem. Just bring a sleeping bag and pad and pull up some floor space.

If you would like more information, you can post a reply here or send me a Private Message. I hope to see many of you at the Ninth Annual Billville Winter Warmer!

Chomp
    Last edited by Sly; 02-21-2012 at 15:06. Reason: updated year, made a sticky

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up

I guess I'd better reserve a room at The Doyle...
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Quote Originally Posted by camojack View Post
    I guess I'd better reserve a room at The Doyle...
    Me and Bookworm here at "The Doyle", heading up to 'the cabin' for a long weekend. Lot of the regulars booked in for Warmer but still a few rooms available. Baltimore Jack, Dude, Walkin' Home, Old Phart, Redneck and the Ohio sleeper cell, Blister, Bust Ace, Funkey Monkey & Bean, Woody, Geek, where are you guys and are you attending? By the way I just heard that Drifters mom past away.
    Hope to see you all next week at the Warmer in snowless PA.

I may not be there due to lack of finances, despite my reply on Facebook.

I'm not drinking now, and that seems to be (besides hiking) the foundation of the function.

Have fun.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Mainer attendance will be -1 this year as it is the same time the MATC is having a "do" and we do not have many of them at all. Hoist a "ling" for Janice and I (give our best to Pat and Vicky) and will see you in Damascus.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

North Georgia is a bit far away so I hope you all have a great time. See you guys at Ron Haven's in April or a few weeks later in Damascus. And Jester, see YOU in October, assuming we're both still on the right side of the ground.

matthewski is in the house. duncannon is so good for belly sleep. one nite of quiet here equals a lifetime of city nights "rest". got a 6 lb roast from espositis in the itailan market before i left the hole. marys sleepin. cleaned her kitch so she can make us roast. enough for any volenteers who might wanna volenteer their time hanging out with me in the coolest trail town north of jabip.im fixin soe crap in the doyle and painting. also, there will be no bears at night. trailanglemary rang my hone at 330 in the doyle last am . she was locked out. i did a chimmny move and a rverse and a layback and entered the unlocked window on the porch. prity impressive. i ment the part about mary bein out so late ! i got rm 23 pimped out with art supplys. marys up 1
    matthewski

Well it sounds as though the Winter Warmer may be a little chilly without a few of our infamous Billvillian's, but fear not, I'm sure the rest of us will make up for their absence. 'Bring on the donut hockey'!

Mainer "do" or Billville "do".., hmmmm, in any case 'will do' Ray, for you and Janice. After reading Jack's post I was seriously thinking about heading down to N. Georgia to see who gets cave rights. My moneys on the Navy Seal.

The days look right but the year is wrong. Do you need it fixed?

Edit: went ahead and fixed title.

May yet try and get there tho logistics are difficult. If there's anyone out there heading up to PA from GA,NC,TN, or Southwest VA, please get in touch; will happily keep you company and share trip expenses.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by BAG "o" TRICKS View Post
    Mainer "do" or Billville "do".., hmmmm, in any case 'will do' Ray, for you and Janice. After reading Jack's post I was seriously thinking about heading down to N. Georgia to see who gets cave rights. My moneys on the Navy Seal.
    You're always welcome to camp at my place...on the Big Island. There's a pretty significant lava tube (cave) system under that. No caves at the Alaska cabin, but you are welcome to stay there too...
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Hey guys,
    I was planning on being there but lost the time I could take off with my Fathers passing. Drink one....or two....or 25 for me and keep dream'in of trails. Tell Pat and Vicky "hi" for me. Miss ya!

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Hey guys,
    I was planning on being there but lost the time I could take off with my Fathers passing. Drink one....or two....or 25 for me and keep dream'in of trails. Tell Pat and Vicky "hi" for me. Miss ya!

geek
    No problem and will do Geek. Very sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. I also heard about a week ago that Drifter's Dad passed away. I guess we are all getting older, but we're still young at heart and that's what counts. We'll definitely miss your great stories and snoring. Pat & Vickey and everyone here says "hello". Take care and I hope to see you at TD's.

++ New Posts ++