WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tuscarora Trail

Images

Default Tuscarora Trail

I'm in the early planning stages to hike the
    Northern section of the Tuscarora Trail (Darlington Shelter to Hancock, MD) in
    May 2012. (I'm hiking the Southern Section in the Fall, 2012)

I have the
    latest guide book to the Northern Section, and map for the lower 1/2 of this
    section. The map covering the upper 1/2 of this section is currenlty being
    revised. I hope to have this before May, but the guidebook will get me along
    just fine too.

Now I'm looking to see if anyone here has any experience
    with hiking this trail. Any and all information would be greatly
    appreciated.

The one question I have right off is resupply. It looks like
    I can easily walk into Spring Run, PA to a grocery and restaraunt. I may drive
    up and take a look before heading out on this hike, just to make sure it's still
    open and carries what I'm looking for.

Again, any info would be greatly
    appreciated!

Thanks

As of December 2011 the grocery in Spring Run is shut down but the restaurant and tiny convenience store still occupy two other corners of the intersection.

I've day hiked plenty of the Tuscarora Trail, and so can make some comments.

First, expect rocks. Lots of rocks. In many different ways.

Second, don't expect people. Other than a couple of places (Flat Rock, Cowans Gap Lake), you will see very few if any other people hiking.

Third, don't be surprised to see rattlesnakes, especially in Tuscarora State Forest and SGL 124.

IMO, most of the trail I've hiked is in reasonable shape, but nowhere near as trodden as the AT. It should be difficult to get lost; the trail is well blazed. There may be some brief overgrown areas.

On maps. If map J isn't revised by the time you hike, consider the Tuscarora State Forest Multi-Use Trail System Map. It includes nearly all of the TT between PA-233 to partway down Knob Mountain. It is also at a better scale than the 1:100,000 PATC map. The topography got a little fluxored in the revised edition, and the hill just west of Second Narrows Road looks incorrectly flat on it.

Water. Get water when you can. In some places it may be a while to the next source. The older guide I have mentioned a spring if you follow the Bill Miller Trail west. Don't count on it. The stream crossings in the rollercoaster section should provide water most of the time. There's a spring near Hemlock Road after climbing Rising Mountain, this will be the last good water source for a while. Also make sure you have water before entering SGL 124 (unless the new shelter has some).

Onto my experiences. I've not made it north of the northeastern Warner Trail junction (section 2), though I plan on doing some of that next month. From that trail junction, you have a nice woods road walk for a bit, mainly in a hemlock ravine. You then have a climb to Flat Rock on a narrow trail, not too steep, and not too rocky. The mile south of Flat Rock is wide and very well traveled. At the Wagon Wheel, it descends by a wide woods road to 233.

Section 3 starts as a brief gravel road walk, then onto woods roads and one short steep climb to get (back) to the top of Blue Mountain. It drops and reclimbs, eventually narrows, and becomes moderately rocky, though relatively level. There is a vista off of Cowpens Road, just south (trail east) of the TT which should be visited.

After Cowpens Road is section 4, the rollercoaster. Most of the climbs and descents are steep, often rocky, and without much in the way of switchbacks. It is much more rugged than the AT roller coaster in Virginia. Be sure to check out the vernal ponds near Second Narrows Road. Southbound, the climb up Fenton Knob will be the steepest, and the descent nearly as steep. I've head that the Fowler's Hollow Shelter is in bad shape, but it's been a couple of years since I've passed by there. You then have one more rocky climb up Rising Mountain before a short drop (and with rock steps!) to bounce off Hemlock Road.

This starts Section 5. First a logging road, then a woods road, becoming a trail near the junction with the Bear Ponds Trail. I've not yet made it south from there on Knob Mountain. I've heard it's quite rocky and not well maintained.

I resume back on the top of Tuscarora Mountain on section 6, at the powerline clearing near the top. This is, IMO, the most fun section of the trail. It is very rocky. Watch blazes carefully; the trail dowsn't always go where you think it would. In some isolated spots here, there is poison ivy amongst the rocks and next to the trail, so keep a look out. About a half mile south of the Turnpike Tunnel Towers is a great view mere feet from the trail to the east. It must not be missed; there is a small natural rock chair to sit down on and watch the world go by below in Path Valley. After crossing Fannettsburg-Burnt Cabins Rd, the trail descends through private land into Allens Valley. At first rocky, it follows access lanes and woods road to get back into the State Forest. Expect mud from ATV tracks in the hunting camp. In Allens Valley, you have a relatively level hike on logging and woods roads to reach Cowans Gap State Park. Water should not be a problem here. Depending on when you go, you may be able to get a meal here.

Section 7 starts by climbing back up Tuscarora Mountain by switchback. The first mile on top is rocky. There are some views. It then follows a logging road. I've heard that a recent logging operation has uglified this area; I've not been there recently enough to confirm that (though I may be heading there this weekend). The Big Mountain shelter has a pond and spring. At the top is a great overlook. It then heads on narrow trail for a while, then a woods road, then a logging road. At the unsigned junction with the Lincoln Trail, you will have to search for the trail to continue; it's up an embankment. It continues on more pleasant narrow trail, crosses the road, and decends through rocks to US-30. This is not my favorite crossing; watch and listen for traffic. The climb back up from the crossing is the worst part of trail. It is mere feet from the road, with the expected litter in being so. Just past a powerline is the Pulpit overlook. Most of the trail to PA-16 then follows (frankly boring) forest boundary woods road. At PA 16 cross carefully. West to McConnellsburg is a Giant grocery store. East to Mercersburg is a Food Lion.

Section 8 is mainly along the ridgeline in SGL 124. It is quite rocky, and more difficult then the elevation profile would suspect. It is also quite scenic, with many views. Some areas have faded blazes, so tread carefully. Once you reach the bottom, there is a spring and stream, which would make a good place to get water.

I've not done the road walk through Maryland. You also have the issue of a long distance between legal camping/shelter areas. You may want to consider walking down route 456 to get to Little Pool, if you don't mind going off trail for a bit.

You then have the easy canal walk into Hancock. You have Little Pool, one or two aqueducts, and a few culverts.

Finally, photos of the various sections.
    Flat Rock Loop
    Flat Rock
    PA 233 to Bill Miller Trail
    Bill Miller to Cowpens Rd
    Cowpens Rd to Second Narrows Rd
    Second Narrows Rd to Hemlock Rd
    Turnpike Tunnel Traverse
    Fannettsburg Burnt Cabins Rd to Cowans Gap
    Cowans Gap to Big Mountain
    Big Mountain to Lincoln Trail
    Lincoln Trail to PA 16
    SGL 124 north
    SGL 124 south
    a
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

Images

THANKS for all the info. I'm planning / hoping to use Spring Run as my resupply point. Mail drop from what I've noted. I've perused the guide book a few times already, and will get Map J when it's released in March, well before my hike. I've highlighted in my guidebook the few noted springs/water sources. A little planning and preparation and water shouldn't be an issue. This trail sounds just what I'm looking for. The AT in May is full of boy scouts. Good on them for getting out and enjoying, but I'd love a week of woods and solitude. I'm also going to post on trailjournals.com to share my hike, and make a video while I'm out. 4 months and counting....
    Last edited by Joey C; 01-17-2012 at 23:37.

Will look forward to your reports! There are plenty of other trails not too far west of the A.T. that almost nobody uses, although you might find AegisIII out there...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joey C View Post

I'm in the early planning stages to hike the
    Northern section of the Tuscarora Trail (Darlington Shelter to Hancock, MD) in
    May 2012. (I'm hiking the Southern Section in the Fall, 2012)

I have the
    latest guide book to the Northern Section, and map for the lower 1/2 of this
    section. The map covering the upper 1/2 of this section is currenlty being
    revised. I hope to have this before May, but the guidebook will get me along
    just fine too.

Now I'm looking to see if anyone here has any experience
    with hiking this trail. Any and all information would be greatly
    appreciated.

The one question I have right off is resupply. It looks like
    I can easily walk into Spring Run, PA to a grocery and restaraunt. I may drive
    up and take a look before heading out on this hike, just to make sure it's still
    open and carries what I'm looking for.

Again, any info would be greatly
    appreciated!

Thanks

Okay, it’s 2015 and I’m this guy^^^^^^ I’ve got the maps and guide book (thanks Rusty Joints, you wouldn’t recognize them now all highlighted up and written on). Read the Trail Journals, http://www.trailjournals.com/journals/Tuscarora_Trail .Looked at the USGS and DCNR maps, posted stuff to GoogleEarth, etc.
    I’m thinking about the northern part in PA and MD, about 100 miles, 9 days/8 nights – this summer or maybe around Labor Day.I’m trying to reduce it to 8 days but don’t want the longer days and am having problems with legal tenting spots.
    I’m looking for current TT wisdom – AegisIII gives good advice in the thread above.
    Anybody interested in doing the TT this summer/fall?
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I did the north half in the summer of 2012. That trail got lots of poison ivy, ticks and thorn bushes. Fowler Hollow shelter may need a new roof don't expect it to keep the rain out, that may explain all the tarps that were in the shelter. There is a bunkhouse at the c and o bike shop in Hancock. The path valley resteraunt and the biker bar are hiker friendly. There a a few newer shelters and few hikers. If you like swimming bring swimming trunks, the state park has a swimming lake and a snack bar. Do not hike this trail during deer season there are tree stands right on the trail and hunters will be on the trail. I am from Pittsburgh to and want to hike this trail again, message me.

Section 2 including especially the relatively new off-road portion just south of PA 74 at Waggoners Gap is The. Rockiest. Trail in PA (comparing to any other TT section, MST, or the A.T.) with rockers and ankle twisters. The new Charlie Irvin shelter is in the middle of the real rocky part on the edge of Reineman Sanctuary. PATC folks have been evening out treadway, but that's full employment for many years yet to come for generations of trail workers to stabilize those rocks. I wouldn't count on a hop all the way from Darlington Shelter to Wagon Wheel Shelter even if you usually make that mileage even elsewhere in PA.

The section over the turnpike tunnel is more the fun sometimes semi-scramble type of rocks as described in post #3 and distinctly different from the Charlie Irvin shelter area.

I don't have much too add; recently most of my Tuscarora hiking as been in WV/VA. I think the only new part I've done is the northern terminus to Sterrett's Gap; easy woods road most of the way. I was right that the logging road on Tuscarora Mountain south of Cowans Gap did uglify the trail; though there were a couple of new views also.

One final note is that the PATC GPS Rangers have a Flickr account; and these do give good information as to trail conditions.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

I've not yet been able to stop to see what the new roundabout in Sterrett's Gap did to the TT coming north out of there. There is probably some way to get through but not sure whether it is marked well NB.

Journal Entries
    Images

I spent 29 August – 1 September, Saturday – Tuesday, on the Tuscarora Trail. I started near Carlisle, PA, on the AT at the PA 944 tunnel crossing. I got a 1050 start after driving out from Pittsburgh. The AT was a 1 hour/1.9 mile approach trail up Blue Mountain to the TT. There is a piped spring about halfway up the hill.
    I stayed on the AT to visit the Darlington Shelter. Met a SOBO named Nick there ( http://trekkingwithnick.tumblr.com/ ), he started on Katahdin on June 17 and expects to finish October 17 at Springer. He’s no longer carrying a tent or sleeping bag and is just using a bivy; only has the clothes on his back. He’s doing up to 30 mile days. Meeting Nick showed the difference between someone who has travelled 1000 miles and someone who hasn’t.
    Despite my (I thought) adequate preparation, I was unready for the hills and rocks on the trail. The power line woods road in the Guide at mile 4.2 uphill kicked my ass; the location needs an escalator. After that the rocks kicked in. I lost the sun and didn’t make my goal of tenting south of SGL230; I had spent too much time at the Darlington Shelter and the rocks slowed me down. I tented only about 20’ off the trail at a very rocky sloping site. I averaged 1.2 MPH for the day, 1.4 MPH over the ground without counting the rest stops.
    Sunday started rocky but okay to Longs Gap. I started with about 1.5 liters of water. I ran into two NOBOs who told me that there was water cached at the new Irvine Shelter. They convinced me to bypass the spring below Longs Gap; my mantra became “there is water at the shelter”. It was the wrong decision – I ran dry. The rocks between Longs Gap Road and PA 74 were bad.
    I lost the trail before the Audubon parking lot and wended my way down to PA 74 downhill of the parking lot. I walked up to the parking lot entrance and trail crossing. I was resting there and talked with three guys who were taking pictures. I unintentionally yogi’d a liter of water from them, which was well appreciated.
    The rocks beyond PA 74 to the shelter were bad. The guide says that it’s only 0.8 miles from PA 74, but it was a long, rocky 0.8 miles, I was beginning to think that I missed the shelter. I was starting to look for a place to throw down my tent when I saw the rust colored rain barrels at the shelter. I averaged only 0.6 MPH for the day; I didn’t keep notes to separate out the times I stopped to rest. Again I didn’t make my goal for the day, which was the vicinity of Warner Trail.
    The new shelter is great and there was potable water cached there, thanks Overseer. The rain barrels were also filled so there were gallons of water to filter and treat. The shelter and privy are well built, very tight construction. This old guy appreciated the picnic table as a place to sit rather than just on the platform. Thanks to all who built the shelter, I can only imagine the effort to get the materials to the site.
    Monday was more of the same, rocky trail, to start. The road walk portion outside of the Sanctuary to McClure’s Gap wasn’t bad; I made 1.2 MPH over the ground, then 0.8 MPH to the logging road before Warner Trail. I tented off the trail near the logging road. I filtered and treated water from a road puddle on the TT just beyond the logging road.
    Tuesday I stayed on the TT to the Lehman Trail. The spring near the Warner Trail was not flowing. Again I passed on taking water from the stream flowing downhill on the right side of the TT on the way up to the Lehman Trail, expecting water there – there wasn’t, but I didn’t need any. I used the Lehman Trail to shortcut to the Wagonwheel trail junction. I took the Flat Rock Trail downhill toward COL Denning State Park. The trail down out of the junction is steep and covered with small loose rocks.
    Three women I met at the Wagonwheel trail junction told me that there was a water source “about a half mile” down the trail – it was a long half mile. The water source is a large concrete structure with a pipe coming out. I didn’t need water but didn’t pass up this source and took a liter in my dirty water bag. There is a stream further down the hill.
    I met up with two day hikers – Mike and Middy – and walked down to the parking lot with them. I didn’t get a chance to look around the camping area but it seemed okay. Middy gave me a ride up to the Park HQ and bottle of water before they left.
    My wife picked me up at the Park HQ and we drove back to Pittsburgh. A hiker feed was held at the Sideling Hill rest stop on the PA Turnpike. We ate outside so as not to subject others to my hiker funk.

Lessons learned/relearned:
    The SGL boundaries were, to me, poorly marked.
    Don’t pass up sure water for possible future water.
    The miles on the Tuscarora Trail are longer than other locations.
    My planning hiking rate was 1.2-1.5 MPH, about 10 MPD; a more realistic rate is ~1 MPH, ~7.5 MPD (For me, YMMV). I didn’t factor rocks into my planning.

The rocks really slowed me down. I twisted my ankles many times and could have broken my leg three times when I postholed down into spaces between the rocks. My staff frequently sank 3’ into holes between the rocks.
    Rocks suck, jaggers suck, rocks plus jaggers really suck.
    Many of the rocks are lichen and moss covered and would be slippery in the rain.
    Late August/early September was hot, highs were in the mid 80s.
    I had too much pack weight, too much food, more fuel than I needed (just in case).

TT is probably a good prep hike for the AT in PA.
    I’ve said this before – PA rocks can be useful, there is always one for your bear bag line, if you can find one small enough.

76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

You're right about the rocks on the TT. They are far more troublesome than the rocks on the AT, especially when they're hidden under overhanging brambles from blackberries and raspberries. I did a remarkable pirouette when I stumbled on some unstable rocks near the new Irvin Shelter. When I did the Tuscalachian Loop a few years ago, that shelter was just a platform of joists, but there were enough boards cached to make a sleeping pallet. One of the best views from a shelter ever.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

++ New Posts ++