WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Weird Good Luck Charms?

Rabbits feet? Bag of chicken bones around your neck? Daddy's old pocket watch?

What's yours?

I think good-luck charms are just crazy superstitions. Having said that, long, long ago I was put in a position of authority at a tender age and was in charge of operations I was barely trained for and on one of those I was fretting over the safe completion of...to make a long story short, it went really bad...very badly. But during the preparations I remember asking myself, mostly out of hopeless despair, "Ah, what could go wrong".

Ever since then I never ask myself that question, just too afraid to, no matter how mundane a given situation may seem, I feel as though I'll jinx myself if I ask that question, even to this day I never ever say those words.

Ever since I unexpectedly set a record in grade 5 for the flexed arm hang, as part of the old Canada Fitness Awards, I have always associated getting my hair cut with good luck. I had just had it cut the day before. Nothing else comes to mind, other than positive thinking. I do like keep-sakes though. I tend to lose them though, so I never no just how long I might have things, and what might become a keep-sake. So far, for hiking, my compass is my oldest keep-sake, and I bought it second hand years ago. It is one of those aluminum silva ones that you slide open and a mirror pops down. I lost the leather case and had a new one made. I am rather fond of it.

On my way to start my AT thru-hike I'd found a Canadian coin so I'd decided to carry that and a pebble I'd picked up along the approach trail in Georgia all the way to Katahdin.

Funny, I'd soon met and hiked with a woman from Canada for quite a bit of the AT after I'd found that Canadian coin.

Datto

Wow, someone mentioned Canada in a post while I was typing that last post -- didn't see it until I'd posted my own comment.

We control the horizontal, we control the vertical. No need to adjust your set.

Datto

someone's currently mentioning Mexico.... and I'm in Mexico woaaaahhhhhhhhh

Over the years I've carried a rabbits foot,copper nugget from the Keweenaw peninsula and a few non-mentionable unmentionables.Currently a little white and black yin and yang pin rides quietly along on my day pack.Reminding me of the ebb and flow of life.The clouds in my coffee is something I look forward to in the mourning,it amazes me each and every time I pour in the cream but mixes much to fast and is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    Wow, someone mentioned Canada in a post while I was typing that last post -- didn't see it until I'd posted my own comment.

We control the horizontal, we control the vertical. No need to adjust your set.

Datto
    Quote Originally Posted by strollingalong View Post
    someone's currently mentioning Mexico.... and I'm in Mexico woaaaahhhhhhhhh
    You guys are freakin' me out!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ....The clouds in my coffee is something I look forward to in the mourning,it amazes me each and every time I pour in the cream but mixes much to fast and is gone.
    Sounds like a variation of reading tea leaves. I wonder if it works with the little marshmallow bits in my morning hot chocolate? You could amaze your shelter mates by telling their futures! It'd be a great conversation starter.

external frame pack and water filter

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    Ruger LCR
    LCP 9.6 oz
    Last edited by ALLEGHENY; 01-11-2012 at 19:32.

huh?.............

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    Ruger LCR
    Glock 29
    http://us.glock.com/products/model/g29

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Sounds like a variation of reading tea leaves. I wonder if it works with the little marshmallow bits in my morning hot chocolate? You could amaze your shelter mates by telling their futures! It'd be a great conversation starter.
    Ah yes,And In his deepest weather man voice...Let me see now,we've got a low pressure marshmallow over Ohio and a deepening trough of coco stalling in Vermont,Spokes say....you ain't hike'in today,come back tomorrow.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea let me sharpen my pencil while I think about the above posts....
    24.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I saw a Harley rider in D.C. with a small bell on the handlebars of his bike. When I asked, he stated it kept demons away from him while he was riding. I thought that was fairly cool, as I was riding 30 miles one way up 95/395 to the Pentagon every day, so I bought one and hung it on my bike. 2 weeks later, a thunderstorm rolled through, knocked my bike over and totally busted my $500 windshield. I took the bell off, threw it as far into the woods as possible and never looked back.

Now, I don't have anything I HAVE to carry. I just try to touch every white blaze as I go by.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    On my way to start my AT thru-hike I'd found a Canadian coin so I'd decided to carry that and a pebble I'd picked up along the approach trail in Georgia all the way to Katahdin.

Funny, I'd soon met and hiked with a woman from Canada for quite a bit of the AT after I'd found that Canadian coin.

Datto

Maybe she dropped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Wolf View Post
    Maybe she dropped it.
    Fate's a funny thing huh?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I stopped at the Veteran's Cemetery in Johnson City, while I zeroed in Erwin to visit the grave of my great, great grandfather who served in the Civil War. While I was there I picked up a small flag that was near his grave that had blown off it's stick during a tornado that passed through two days earlier. I carried that flag the rest of the way and still have it.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++