WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2005 Camino de santiago

Default My Favorite Shelter(s)-Don' Miss 'Em

For someone who has not gone, from those of you that have, what is your "Don't Miss!" shelter and why? I have been reading your comments on each and making note of those i should see, based on those that have gone before. But there are so many pages....I suspect I am not the only one who would like it thusly

Images

Default Spruce Peak Shelter, Vermont

The Spruce Peak Shelter in Vermont counts as one of my favorites (but I've only done 3 states so far). It's actually an enclosed cabin with a big sliding door, though no one ever shut the door when I was there. Table inside and a window. Could probably sleep 16-24 people - there were 7 when I was there. Big porch on the front, picnic table, some tentsites, and an overlook to watch the sunset from.
    Last edited by DebW; 03-04-2003 at 16:33.

GA-VA/ME-VA '04

Default riga shelter

I have not hiked the whole AT yet, but I have done all of CT. There is a shelter called Riga shelter.Its before you get to Bear Mt.(nobo). There is the most awsome sunrise there.

Riga definitely gets a vote from me as well; Especially when the valley is locked in fog.

Couple other primo shelters/campsites off the top of my head:

Cold Springs: it's ON the trail (so is the water)
    Max Patch: simply magic
    OverMountain: Old converted Barn, BEAUTIFUL area
    Blackburn: always a good time to be had there
    Tumbling Run: don't know why, just like it a lot
    Peter's Mtn: Nice shelter, have fun getting H2O
    Ten Mile River: swimming, open field, lovely
    Silver Hill: it's REALLY close to beer
    Upper Goose: it's got a canoe (sorry 'bout the last one...
    Stratton Pond: it's a pond, need I say more?

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

The Partnership Shelter in VA was great. Huge two-story shelter, The Visitor's Center has indoor plumbing, the shelter has a hot shower, there's a pay phone, and the pizza people deliver. What more could you want?
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Default gimme shelter

I've always been partial to shelters in high places. I guess my favorite would have to be Chestnut Knob Shelter with Roan High Knob shelter a close second.

Despite all the glowing reviews, I never cared for Partnership shelter. Too "civilized" for my blood I guess.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Default The sound of rain on a Hot Tin Roof! hehehehe

Oooh, Chestnut Knob - how the DEUCE did I forget that one! Yup, it gets my vote too!

Images

I spent a fitful night at Chestnut Knob a couple years ago. I read in the register that there were at least three rattlesnakes in the shelter, probably in the straw. Think I spent more time looking for them than sleeping. Never found them. If it was a joke it got me! In it's defense I will say it has one of the best views I've seen. Sort of a "garden view".

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

I'm with Sleepy the Arab, and I would add the Overmountain Shelter. I for some reason also liked the Trimpi shelter, maybe it was the fireplace...and then there is the Fontana Hilton,hmmm lots of good ones, even the one at Laurel Fork is cool because it was made of the native stone. Gooch was nice too.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Sleepy, I'll second or I guess third Chestnut Knob. It was a magical place for me. It had been raining all day and I holed up in Chestnut Knob to avoid a huge thunderstorm. About 3:30 a group of 6 other thrus came in. Little did I know at the time that I'd share the trail for the next 500 miles with this group. After dinner the thunderstorm passed, the clouds started to break up and the most magnificent sunset I saw on the trail developed. We all stood outside and took pictures of it and ohhhh and ahhhh. We stood and looked down into Burke's Garden and turned back and looked at the sunset. I was SOOOOOO disappointed when I got my pictures back because they never even came close to showing how beautiful that evening was.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Very odd, Moose....that sounds exactly like the day I had at Chestnut Knob.

Yes, very strange indeed....

obligatory website link

Default Favorite Shelter

Overmountain.

It's the ONLY shelter on the entire Trail that I make sure I stay at, regardless of what time of day I get there. Also, if you've ever thought of taking a zero day on the trail, as opposed to in town, this is a great place to do it.

Default Cooper Brook

This one is inthe 100 mile WIlderness a day or two from Big K. Don't know if many NOBOs stop here being so close and all.

It has a fantastic swimming hole with a water fall. You get yourself situated right and turns into the best massage parlor on the trail.

Our hike to the shelter was horrible - 95 degree day and we had to hike in full rain gear to keep the skeeters at bay. When we got to the shelter our pains were literally washed away.
    Grimace ME->GA '01
    JMT '03

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Hey Grimace ...BA Turtle and I hit Cooper Brook shelter on 9/27/01 on the way to Katahdin. Had the entire shelter to ourselves. One of the best night's sleep I had in the entire 100 mile wilderness. You're right about the falls and swimming hole. We didn't jump in though. Had been hiking with wet clothes and gear for 2 days and chose to hang a line and let everything dry out instead.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Hmmm.. Sleepy now you're makin me think. Let me count who was at Chestnut Knob that night....... senility is a terrible thing to waste. Nope... don't think so. Last place I remember seeing you was.......Vandeventer or.... was it The Place. Wait... no... damn.. I don't know!!!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Whatever you got Moose, I got it worse. I don't even remember meeting you in 2001. But let's see...the people I was with at Chestnut Knob...there was Chef, 2 Traex....uh Preacher...Sheesh! I know for sure that I was coming down with a cold at the time and thoroughly engrossed in the copy of Farenheit 451 I picked up at the Place.

But I digress. To keep the thread on subject, I will also add that I dearly love Kinsman Pond Shelter as well.

The tin can Boy Scout Shelter a mile north of Catawba gets my vote for worst.

obligatory website link

I've hiked from NJ to Maine and my favorites are:

NJ
    - skip this state
    NY
    - skip
    CT
    - 10 Mile River - beautiful spot
    - Riga - great view
    MA
    - Upper Goose Pond
    - Bascom Lodge (sorry, but a great place to stay)
    VT
    - Goddard - awesome view
    - Stratton Pond
    NH
    - Hexacube - cool
    - Galehead Hut (sorry, but it's a great little place)
    ME
    - Speck Pond
    - Ski Hut on Sugarloaf - you gotta go there

Had to stop in Stratton. get the rest this summer.

Pb

I remember that night well, Sleepy. We went out after the rain and watched lightning strikes on the far ridgeline. As I recall, it was during a horribly long period of rain - something like 21 straight days of rain for me. Egads! I was pretty tired of being wet.

I remember coming out of P-Burg. Where the trail heads off to the right after crossing the bridge, there's what is normally a very tiny stream. It was a raging torrent - almost swept me down into the river.

:banana

Papa Bear you must have missed Shooter's Secret Shelter. It has a sink and shower. Also donkeys nearby (I know one jackass likes to see other jackasses).

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Bascom Lodge

Hi Papa Bear--

So Bascom Lodge was a great place to stay? As I am sure you know, up until a few years ago it was run by the AMC much like the huts up in NH (albeit a few feet from the road).

I understand that it is now run by another outdoor education organization.

My question is how the food, prices and overall experience compared to that of the AMC facilities.

Rick B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++