WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A dog has never been bite by a venomous snake on the Appalachian Trail.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Mine got it on the nose a few years ago by a pigmy ratteler. Made it ok but we had a rough 24 hours not knowing.

Mine got it on the nose a few years ago by a pigmy ratteler.&nbsp; Made it ok but we had a rough 24 hours not knowing.<BR>

Mine got it on the nose a few years ago by a pigmy ratteler.&amp;nbsp; Made it ok but we had a rough 24 hours not knowing.&lt;BR&gt;

Sorry bout the multiple sometimes i can get impatient with a slow computer.

Quote Originally Posted by stonedflea View Post
    that's true, and i get what you're saying, but it sucks, which is why she was behind me, i suppose. although, if i'm bitten by a snake, rescuers will come get me if i can't go any further. if she gets bitten and i've carried her as far as i can, no one's gonna come rescue her.
    So true... Killed this Timber Rattler on the trail near Lance Creek in Late September... If SideKick did not always walk behind me, he could have easily been bit... The snake would not move off the trail, even poking at it with my hiking pole... That snake was "De-Lish" on the BBQ ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gotta love some grilled snake.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stonedflea View Post
    that's what i loved about maine... there were no poisonous snakes.
    I once thought that until the police discovered a Gabon Viper near a shopping area in Portland, ME. If some fool would dump one there, he might dump one anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Somewhere in the Gallery of this site there are/were pics of a dog named Aldo after it got tagged in the face by a snake. Wrongway08 might have the specifics. It was a vet run for sure.

Journal Entries
    Images

My dogs see the snakes first, And have always told me bout em.

Default Please respect all wildlife ... even if it bites.

Just as many people need to be educated about dogs on the trail and learn to respect their rights to be there, so too must people apparently be educated about venomous snakes. There is typically never a valid reason to kill a snake, venomous or not. If you don't want to encounter snakes, please stay out of snake habitat. If you choose to enter snake habitats to recreate with or without your dog, accept that you are choosing to do so and respect them/their habitat as you hopefully would any other wildlife you encounter. Aside from the fact that in most states it is illegal to kill non-game wildlife, it's simply unnecessary, ignorant and wasteful. First post respectfully submitted, Helf

Hike smarter, not harder.

Get your dog de-snaked.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

I just took my dog for the first of two rattle snake vaccinations. The vet had to order the stuff from Red Rock Biologics and it had to be shipped here to New Jersey as there isn't much call for it routinely. He will have to get the second shot in 30 days and then we're off! The vet made us stay for 30 minutes to make sure he didn't react negatively to it and advised me to give him benadryl when we got home. He is fine and seems not to have any problems at all. I'm also trying hard to locate someone within driving distance who does the rattle snake aversion/avoidance training. Google didn't produce any classes in NJ or Pa so please, if anyone has any information I'd be very grateful.
    Follow your bliss......
    Joseph Campbell
    http://www.trailjournals.com/rockie/

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    your vet has a dog rattlesnake vaccine, here in texas it cost 25 bucks, you have to go back and get it a couple times, but it suppost really help if they are bite
    cheap insurance

Quote Originally Posted by tucker0104 View Post
    I asked my vet about it and he just said if your dog is bit then good luck. Never recommended it or anything.
    Better than nothin...

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Wow WM ... lessons in absolutes are frequenty misunderstood - grasp the pepple....

Quote Originally Posted by Helf View Post
    Just as many people need to be educated about dogs on the trail and learn to respect their rights to be there, so too must people apparently be educated about venomous snakes. There is typically never a valid reason to kill a snake, venomous or not. If you don't want to encounter snakes, please stay out of snake habitat. If you choose to enter snake habitats to recreate with or without your dog, accept that you are choosing to do so and respect them/their habitat as you hopefully would any other wildlife you encounter. Aside from the fact that in most states it is illegal to kill non-game wildlife, it's simply unnecessary, ignorant and wasteful. First post respectfully submitted, Helf
    Helf are you preachin to the choir? How do we accept this post? Reptilian? People are not educated about snakes... not even bio 101 high school. Its the AT or hikin... good luck... Not going to argue ...just found your post well awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
    I just took my dog for the first of two rattle snake vaccinations. The vet had to order the stuff from Red Rock Biologics and it had to be shipped here to New Jersey as there isn't much call for it routinely. He will have to get the second shot in 30 days and then we're off! The vet made us stay for 30 minutes to make sure he didn't react negatively to it and advised me to give him benadryl when we got home. He is fine and seems not to have any problems at all. I'm also trying hard to locate someone within driving distance who does the rattle snake aversion/avoidance training. Google didn't produce any classes in NJ or Pa so please, if anyone has any information I'd be very grateful.
    Nice.. good info
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Team Doggiebag, Max and Aldo and their encounter with a rattlesnake in 2007.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=200342

Journal Entries
    Images

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++