WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Logging expanded in Baxter Park

http://www.meepi.org/files05/pa031105.htm

The ever-expanding logging operations in the NW section of the "forever wild" Baxter State Park will now be expanded to roadside cutting along the Tote Road. Specifically targeted are 80-90 year old aspen. The Park Director, who want a "wilder within" policy, is against it. Also reported is the relocation of a campground from the forest into an open field near the road, and the news that the snowsled traffic is up to 1000/per week.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Thumbs down Loggers get to use modern devices?

I want to know if the loggers get to use cell phones, walkie-talkies, chain saws, and the like?

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    http://www.meepi.org/files05/pa031105.htm

The ever-expanding logging operations in the NW section of the "forever wild" Baxter State Park will now be expanded to roadside cutting along the Tote Road. Specifically targeted are 80-90 year old aspen. The Park Director, who want a "wilder within" policy, is against it. Also reported is the relocation of a campground from the forest into an open field near the road, and the news that the snowsled traffic is up to 1000/per week.
    In addition to a love for wilderness, Percival Baxter dreamed of creating sustainable forests to replace the usual practice of cut and run employed then and now by most logging operations.

Anyway the harvest is occurring in the 25-30,000 acres he declared could be used for "scientific forestry." in the northwest corner of his park.

The scientific foresty area was ignored for years. Then in the 1970's an attempt was made to essentially give the area to Great Northern Paper Co. for free to "high grade."

I suspect two people kept the rip off from happening, Me and reporter Phyllis Austin of the now defunct Maine Times. I may tell the story sometime if any one is interested. As incompetent as the press is, sometimes it does useful things.

Weary

++ New Posts ++