WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: to much weight

Default to much weight

i tried the hammock always cold

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Not much to go on here, but my guess is that you aren't using an underquilt. I found that I had cold spots, regardless of the temperature rating of the sleeping bag I was using, below 60 degrees. A segmented pad would have helped, but those things are so bulky that I'd highly recommend an underquilt for almost any mountain adventure. Go over to www.hammockforums.com for info on how to get a hammock setup to work for you in most situations.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Too few words, like too little insulation, will also tend to leave one out in the cold.

Perhaps expanding on what your current gear gear is, and what conditions it is being used in, will aid in getting useful recommendations.

There's a learning curve that, IMO, is steeper than that of sleeping on the ground.

I also harp on the issue that sleeping systems are very individual...individual to the person and to the conditions to be faced (more than just temperature). One has to find what works for him/her where and when one intends to hang. I've devoted far more time to staying warm in a hammock than I ever did to staying warm on the ground. I've also been far more comfortable in a hammock than on the ground.

After that, I chalk up most complaints to newby 'user error.'

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

As mentioned, probably you just put the sleeping bag in the hammock. The thing to remember, is that when you are in your sleeping bag, it compresses the bottom of the bag. That, in turn, reduces the insulating value. Normally you sleep on a pad or air mattress, which makes up for the insulation lost by compressing the bag. You will need to either add a pad under your sleeping bag, or use a underquilt. If you are just starting out, use a pad (closed cell foam pas work fine normally) as this is much cheaper than a underquilt.

Also hammock forums have a wealth of information on how to use a hammock properly. A lot of people switch to hammock for comfort, and avoiding uneven ground. The weight savings is not always a big difference, depending on your set-up.

There is a learning curve on using a hammock properly. The best thing is to try using it in your back yard, or at a campground, where you can bring another set-up (tent) if you cannot get it figured out. Again, hammock forums has a lot of information on how to properly use it. Also you can look for Shug on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemer...e=results_main), he has a ton of information, and is very entertaining also.

Hope this helps.

++ New Posts ++