WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best guidebook for thru-hiking the AT

What guidebook out there is the best source of information for thru-hikers? Provides mail drop locations, places to eat and do laundry, shuttle services, access points, etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Journal Entries

Thru hikers companion worked for me..

AWOL Guide , 2012 N B , Im having a hard time pulling up the address to mail my check for this Guide , I had Addr. n Ph. No. but missplaced , Guide with shipping , $ 18.30 , I know its a Fla. Address , Im not having any luck logging back onto this site for this Info. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowalker View Post
    AWOL Guide , 2012 N B , Im having a hard time pulling up the address to mail my check for this Guide , I had Addr. n Ph. No. but missplaced , Guide with shipping , $ 18.30 , I know its a Fla. Address , Im not having any luck logging back onto this site for this Info. Thanks
    Click this link it works good http://theatguide.com/index.html
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

I'm a fan
    of the
    companian

I haven't hiked the trail yet, 2014 is my time. But, I bought versions of both the 2009 Companion and 2010 AWOL guides to see for myself what was available. Having gone through them page-by-page I can say that they're both good references and both have pros & cons. With that said, I have decided to use AWOL's guide because I like how it's set up, it's seems to be more practical to me. Make sure you get an updated version as things change from year to year.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world...gandhi

+1 on David Miller's aka AWOL's AT Guide. For me it was perfect.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I liked the Thur-Hikers Handbook by Wingfoot, but it is no longer being published. Bummer, since my 2004 copy is in desperate need of replacement. So, I will go with AWOL's guide instead. Sorry ATC.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I like the AT Guide. I like the elevation profile. I know what to expect between point A and B. I know more than just the elevation at point A and B but what is in between. The elevation difference between A and B may only be 500 ft. but you may go down 800 ft after leaving A and climb up 1300 ft. to reach B. It helps me plan my breaks better.

Default AWOL's AT Guide - My vote for best Guidebook

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    +1 on David Miller's aka AWOL's AT Guide. For me it was perfect.
    +1 on Miller's Book. I carried it and the Thru Hikers' Companion at the start, but ended up using just Miller's book on the hike.
    2011 Through Hike - May 2nd Springer to Daleville, VA <> August 11 Katahdin back to Daleville, VA on December 22nd.

http://www.trailjournals.com/abouttime

++ New Posts ++