WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Alpine Light 800 fill. I love it. Got it a couple of years ago. The collar and the pockets are nice, dont usually keep gloves in the pockets cuz they are so warm, but I might up here. I wore it over Franconia in the fall and it kept me comfortable in high winds when I got cold, I put on my rain jacket (EMS Thunderhead). I love that over top for a little extra comfort. I will typically wear that in camp too if I get a chill then just ditch in the foot of my sleeping bag. If I know it's going to rain, I get a little nervous about it getting too wet. Never had anything bad happen when it has gotten wet, dries in my bag just fine. Ill spray it down with something every once in awhile. Great jacket. Never been cold in it.

I was wondering about the Golites. They had em on sale at some point, dirt cheap.
    i think i'll be happy with it. the only real problem i see is that it is so big that it's not going to go under my rain jacket, so rainy hikes i may have a problem in camp. i don't necessarily like to sit in my tent all evening. will your's fit under a shell?

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    i think i'll be happy with it. the only real problem i see is that it is so big that it's not going to go under my rain jacket, so rainy hikes i may have a problem in camp. i don't necessarily like to sit in my tent all evening. will your's fit under a shell?
    Thats what the EMS Thunderhead is. It does just fine. The fit on mine is perfect. My rain jacket is just a bit longer to cover the bottom of the Montbell. Didnt work as well with my Precip, which is why i got the Thunderhead.

Thats what the EMS Thunderhead is. It does just fine. The fit on mine is perfect. My rain jacket is just a bit longer to cover the bottom of the Montbell. Didnt work as well with my Precip, which is why i got the Thunderhead.
    well, i guess i'll learn me a little something next weekend when i get back on the bmt.. it's supposed to be wet. i wanted to try out the roan, but i also picked up some icebreakers on a good deal so maybe i'll see how they work with the montbell down inner and the precip. or maybe i'll carry an extra tarp for camp and take the roan. oh, decisions...

also, that roan is really long. really. i don't think any shell is going to go over it. maybe i'll talk to cedar tree and get a packa.

well, i guess i'll learn me a little something next weekend when i get back on the bmt.. it's supposed to be wet. i wanted to try out the roan, but i also picked up some icebreakers on a good deal so maybe i'll see how they work with the montbell down inner and the precip. or maybe i'll carry an extra tarp for camp and take the roan. oh, decisions...
    Where abouts are you on the BMT?

a little north of reliance

Quote Originally Posted by HT1 View Post
    The fleece bottom overalls actually is 200 weight, while the top is 300 weight, very warm
    Since you're from Florida (unless you're not a native to the state), I'd say that you might need the 300 wt. fleece upper for hiking in March/April. You might want to consider shopping for a lighter top to use later in the year (hint- try Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift stores) - you'll be helping them help the less fortunate as well.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I vote for a down puffy layer for camp. I agree that you do not want to hike in your insulating layer.

From HT1: "The fleece bottom overalls actually is 200 weight, while the top is 300 weight, very warm." (Post #20).

Why not go all out if you want camp pants for cold weather?
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com...ents&cat=Pants

I bought a pair of these two years ago and they are incredibly warm.

Unless you hike in fleece pants (can't see why you would need to), you might want to consider camp alternatives like these or a synthetic filled variation.

For actual hiking, I've never needed more than long johns under wind pants, even in winter in the White Mountains. As soon as you stop, though, you'll want more insulation if the temperature is in the single digits or below.
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-18-2012 at 14:11.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Tinker,those things look Sexy!them and a little cropped fleece you be the hot thing on the Mt.I gotta put that on a wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Tinker,those things look Sexy!them and a little cropped fleece you be the hot thing on the Mt.I gotta put that on a wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Sorry tinker did not mean to but those things are the way to cool tool,and I dig it.... You know There ain't but two kinds of "Flash Pants"..big ole fat ones,and fat ole big ones.

Alpine Light 800 fill. I love it. Got it a couple of years ago. The collar and the pockets are nice, dont usually keep gloves in the pockets cuz they are so warm, but I might up here. I wore it over Franconia in the fall and it kept me comfortable in high winds when I got cold, I put on my rain jacket (EMS Thunderhead). I love that over top for a little extra comfort. I will typically wear that in camp too if I get a chill then just ditch in the foot of my sleeping bag. If I know it's going to rain, I get a little nervous about it getting too wet. Never had anything bad happen when it has gotten wet, dries in my bag just fine. Ill spray it down with something every once in awhile. Great jacket. Never been cold in it.

I was wondering about the Golites. They had em on sale at some point, dirt cheap.
    hey they're back on now. hoodless: was $225, now $99. hooded: was $275, now $149

I'm not a florida native, WA state actually, and I know standing around in 20F weather, I'm fine as long as I'm moving in silk weight base, plus normal clothes, plus a windbreaker with a hat and gloves... I suspect I'm going to Start with too much, and end up mailing some home a couple of weeks in. Not what I want to do, but I just done have the experience, or opportunity to do otherwise

hey they're back on now. hoodless: was $225, now $99. hooded: was $275, now $149
    Cant beat that

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    From HT1: "The fleece bottom overalls actually is 200 weight, while the top is 300 weight, very warm." (Post #20).

Why not go all out if you want camp pants for cold weather?
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com...ents&cat=Pants

I bought a pair of these two years ago and they are incredibly warm.

Unless you hike in fleece pants (can't see why you would need to), you might want to consider camp alternatives like these or a synthetic filled variation.

For actual hiking, I've never needed more than long johns under wind pants, even in winter in the White Mountains. As soon as you stop, though, you'll want more insulation if the temperature is in the single digits or below.
    I walked up on someone at a water source once wearing those and the matching jacket with a down hat. First time I had seen. Tried renaming him Moonman, looked like a friggin astronaut.

Images

If sweating / overheating is your worry, I noticed that the "stretchy" hoodies on the market are pretty sweet.

EMS makes a Powerstretch hoodie which I have. It is super warm and the balaclava style hood is really handy. Under it I can wear a synthetic short sleeve T-shirt and be pretty set even into the 20s. The only time I might feel the cold is if there is a chilly wind coming through. Then, I just toss on my rain shell, my TNF Venture, and I am set.

If you look around, there are numerous brands out there that have their own hoodie like this. OR has the "Radiant Hoody" I belive. EB has the "Hangfire Hoodie". The stuff that they are made out of is polartec stretch and breathes extremely well while still keeping you nice and warm. The EMS one is nice since it has the thumb holes. From working out a lot I tend to have low blood pressure causing my extremities to easily go numb. Some gloves slipped over the extended cuffs makes my hands happy.

When you stop moving for a while you can always toss a down sweater over this layer and you should be set. My legs can take much more of a beating when it comes to frigid temperatures. I just wear a 1.0 Terramar legging with my hiking pants and I am set. If its really bad I can toss on my rain pants, but that is mostly overkill.

Default Puffy gets my vote

I'm trying to vote with my wallet if I can find a Pantigonia Nano Puff jacket in Forge Grey Large.

I already own a FF down jacket that is extremely warm and goes with me on < 30deg. trips. I want something for the above freezing range where I'm more likely dealing with rain + cold rather than below freezing so the synthetic puffy is my goal.

I'm one of those people who would rather not have a hoodie. For the weight increase I can just carry a number of hat/neck-warmer options that are more flexible (I can leave them at home) and don't pigeon hole me into a hood solution that may not fit great and that I don't always need.

Loose knit wool, like a typical "shetland fleece" type sweater, with a 4oz wind layer over top. Very versatile.
    You really have to consider the entire clothing system. You can't just compare wool or polyester fleece by itself.

You also want a wind shell with elastic cuffs and waist, and with sleeves and waist that are just a bit shorter than your wool sweater to help it puff up like a down sweater when you wear it that way.

I use polyester fleece also, but as an extra layer over my main wool layer rather than under, and similarly with elastic cuffs and waist. Good system for winter, along with skin layer when needed. For my legs I prefer fleece as my main layer rather than wool, partly because of availability, when cold enough for more than shorts and skin layer. I have a pair of loose knit wool pants also. They breath better than the fleece when worn alone, so they are a bit easier to keep on, and a bit more fashionable. Got the pants for $5. I wear them alot, even around town.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++