WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Printing on SilNylon

Hi, all. I'm concidering adding some decoration to a pack cover. Mainly, I plan to silk-screen on silnylon. I know we have a bunch of cottage manfacturing around here, so has anyone done this? Is it better to heat press, embroider and threat seams, or is it even possible? I'm currently in the printing industry, but no one I've talked to has ever printed on silnylon. Just add catalyst to nylon ink and hope for the best? Thanks for any advise.

Probbably better off with a heat transfer.. Just test with heat probbably dont go over 315*F for 10 secs my experience w ink additives never gives me the results that i am looking for.. And embroiderey is just asking for moistutre to seep in.... Good luck ive been thinking of doing the same havent figured out what i want to put on yet.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.387465,-73.076737

Thanks for the help! My local Gander Mt has Cordura stuff-sacks on sale for about $5 ea. Looks like it may be the best tests for now. Printing on nylon jackets is old hat to me now, but never on Sil. I've been concidering taking a TARDIS on the trail with me, so the blue pack cover is ideal, and will minimize extra wieght and space. If anyone else has an idea, let me know. It'll be a week or so before I have the art ready for whatever process I use, so I'll let you know how it goes, but keep the suggestions coming please!

If weight is not a concern or an acceptable trade off for the ability to personalize and if you can't get it worked out conventionally,perhaps just putting an extra panel of whatever material over the already existing seam sealed cover.good luck hope that works out for you,the possibility should prove to be fun.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am curious as to what you had in mind for decoration.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

check out kite sites for advice. those guys do some great work. they paint tyvek also.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I am curious as to what you had in mind for decoration.
    WOO, The decoration I want is a TARDIS. That is to say, a Time And Relative Dimention In Space. Maybe I'm the only person on the trail to get it, but the TARDIS is a character on "Dr. Who," a favorite Sci Fi show of mine. It looks like a 1950s, British, police call box.
    Something like this...
    e875_doctor_who.jpg

rocket socks, that's a great idea. I was hoping to not go that route though. As NuAge pointed out, it's kinda like inviting water to leak in. I'm sure I could seam seal it, but why put it to the test if I can figure out another way.

Could you not print the Tardis on nylon an then silicon that to the cover? Basically gluing the nylon to the cover. Would only require every little silicon.

Quote Originally Posted by Enic View Post
    rocket socks, that's a great idea. I was hoping to not go that route though. As NuAge pointed out, it's kinda like inviting water to leak in. I'm sure I could seam seal it, but why put it to the test if I can figure out another way.
    Agreed,Not familiar with TARDIS but I like the concept.If you do nail this with silk screening,I can see in(the clouds in my coffee),(and with other pagan talismans) that you will never sleep again,in that the phone will ring off the hook with orders.And you to will have entered into the realm of "The Cottage Zone"a place devoid of all logic,space and time.Where Ideas abound with slithering and heighten dance till finally you will be forced to resort to a phone answering machine that Say's "Leave Message or Be Shot With Poison Arrow" Oh wait ,sorry it was just some little floaters in and other wise semi clean coffee mug.Good luck with your venture

Images

Throw a Dalek on there.

Dow Corning sells silicone inks for screen printing and they may well work for silnylon as I have some silnylon stuff sacks with printing on them, and some silicone items with printing.

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/te...enprinting.asp

Google may not be your best friend, but it is a good buddy.

Would colored Sharpie markers work?

Leave it to the rocket Clan,they will always come up with an answer....even if it's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Would colored Sharpie markers work?
    I've tried Sharpies, as I love them and have used them to draw on canvas (READ: Chucks) all the time... They tend to smear in Sil though, and end up rubbing off completly. As suggested above, I'm looking at getting a sample of silicone ink, and will compare that with how nylon ink with catalyst works. If anyone has gone through the process before though, I'd love to hear from you!

Anyone familiar with this product, the equinox sil-nylon poncho? It looks very nice, is small and light, and the price is very reasonable.

Regards
    Mark
    sticker printing

Images

I've tried Sharpies, as I love them and have used them to draw on canvas (READ: Chucks) all the time... They tend to smear in Sil though, and end up rubbing off completly. As suggested above, I'm looking at getting a sample of silicone ink, and will compare that with how nylon ink with catalyst works. If anyone has gone through the process before though, I'd love to hear from you!
    Eric, how did the silicone ink turn out? did it adhere to the silnylon?

Images

Hi, all. I'm concidering adding some decoration to a pack cover. Mainly, I plan to silk-screen on silnylon. I know we have a bunch of cottage manfacturing around here, so has anyone done this? Is it better to heat press, embroider and threat seams, or is it even possible? I'm currently in the printing industry, but no one I've talked to has ever printed on silnylon. Just add catalyst to nylon ink and hope for the best? Thanks for any advise.
    I came up with a formula for a printable ink. I did a smear test on some sil today. I'll do a cross hatch test for adhesion tomorrow. I'll let the ink cure overnight.

color me gold

++ New Posts ++