WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

not sure if it was because i was 32 on my first thruhike & raised with some manners
    but i never tried to be inconsiderate to others. stayed in a few shelters with my dog , usually we moved out to tent if we even heard others might be coming. i lent my tent out 3 times to hikers that didn't have tent or tarp, and they didn't want my dog to be woken up,or have to move. they didn't have a shelter but enjoyed the night in my tent, said it was a nice change for them.
    if the ATC says its ok to stay in the shelter if you play by the rules, then its ok for me.
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 01-15-2012 at 00:49.

nothing better than a tent

i took my tent on alot of hikes ,never dumb enough to let it roam free in a shelter :-)
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 01-15-2012 at 00:42.

Is your hiking buddy allergic to mice? They are much more common in shelters than dogs.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Forgive me if I sound stupid or insensitive...aren't the woods full of animals with hair/fur? Will this cause your friend problems or is it only "pet hair"?

Would be hard to address that at each shelter so I would recommend tenting. I have stayed in shelters and tented near many shelters but can not remember many dog problems but I do not have allergies to them either. Good luck but I do believe in mangaing your own hike I would just tent.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yea, but life is SO much easier when you can. Especially if it happens to rain.
    If hikin' was easy everyone would do it!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

My daughter has a severe allergy to peanuts. There is no way she could sleep on the floor at Texas Roadhouse, even after a good clean-up.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

or get a hammock system for thr climate and NOT go to the shelter's !!!! lot's of people do that and for other reasons as well !!! good hiking to ya both later on the trail zenkayaker

sorry dude however a hammock has many more advantages than a tent- - - - and I can "rise-up" in a good mood in the AM lol!!! later on the trail zenkayaker

Leave the dog at home. I gave a hiker a ride north on I 81 a few years ago. I didn't know he had a dog until after I stopped. Dog was hiding behind the guardrail.With dog in back of subaru ,hiker in front with me we drove north for about 3 hours. When I said goodbye and wish them well And headed east for home I found that both of them had been covered with fleas. I was not a very happy person. I don'think he ran out of money from buying flea collars or dip. My personal opinion is, leave the dogs at home they will love you for it.May God Bless.
    Bubblegum

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegum View Post
    Leave the dog at home. I gave a hiker a ride north on I 81 a few years ago. I didn't know he had a dog until after I stopped. Dog was hiding behind the guardrail.With dog in back of subaru ,hiker in front with me we drove north for about 3 hours. When I said goodbye and wish them well And headed east for home I found that both of them had been covered with fleas. I was not a very happy person. I don'think he ran out of money from buying flea collars or dip. My personal opinion is, leave the dogs at home they will love you for it.May God Bless.
    as soon as you seen the dog you could of changed your mind? 3 hour ride, one hell of a yellow blaze :-) not all dogs or hikers are the same. my dog was cleaner than most hikers, and had plenty of rides tell me i got the ride cause i had a dog. some said they were concerned for the dog, or a dog lover. hiked with someone with a allergy to dogs also, surprised because my dog did not effect them.
    really cool you offered up a ride,sorry it was a bad one :-(
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 01-15-2012 at 17:19.

Images

just bring a tent, you wont find too many dogs sleeping in shelters unless you're with a pack that has dogs you'll keep running into night after night. and for the few nights you do run into an "inconsiderate "dog owner w/ dog in shelter, those nights you tent.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Interestingly, the opening poster has no intention of bringing a dog, the question was specifically how to avoid them at shelters.

Kind of reminds me of this post...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?79727-Reading-comprehension-and-replying-to-a-thread&highlight=reading+comprehension

In fairness though, it was really quite nice of you to go out of your way to help a hiker like that, hiding his dog like that while thumbing for a ride does seem kind of dishonest.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 01-15-2012 at 17:35.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

and you couldnt of said no once you saw the dog ?? and didnt notice till AFTER they left that they were covered in fleas??? my personal opinion is your opinion is dumb.

Images

I dearly wish there were no dogs on the trail. they scare away the wild life. Wet dogs in shelters are awful;. i just wish people were considerate but they are not so I bring a nice tent.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

keeping a wet dog out of shelters is a good idea,but hiking with a well trained dog is amazing time!

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    keeping a wet dog out of shelters is a good idea,but hiking with a well trained dog is amazing time!
    QFT

I read those that "dearly wish there were no dogs on the trail". I have no wish to ever meet them.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

crumbsnatcher, i love how you're such an awesome dog advocate. although the attitudes these people have are doubtful to change anytime soon.
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

Quote Originally Posted by stonedflea View Post
    crumbsnatcher, i love how you're such an awesome dog advocate. although the attitudes these people have are doubtful to change anytime soon.
    from 1998-2005
    my dog and i practically lived on the trail. most of my hiking before i ever joined WB(2008). never seen the negativity towards dogs on the trail :-) just on the internet.
    Stonedflea thanks for the kind words, not only was my dog pretty cool,but she was my best friend, so i kept her safe and away from trouble
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 01-16-2012 at 12:11.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++