WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    ....but if I see a dog sleeping in a shelter I assume it is abused or neglected in some way by its owner.

I just assume they beat their significant other......
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    My NOBO hike is planned for mid March. My hiking buddy has an allergy to pet hair and is concerned about folks keeping their dogs in the shelter. How can this be handled tactfully?

if the ATC says its ok for a dog to be in a shelter if theres rooms available
    or the shelters empty and or no one cares that the dogs in the shelter in the first place
    and you move, if more hikers are coming & or the space is needed, ALWAYS being considerate, then there is no problem!!!
    you mean to tell me even if the shelters completly empty and no one else shows up, not even then should a dog go in the shelter? thats not what the ATC says, so i will not take advice from you all. i stayed in a shelter with my dog a dozen times or so over the years 98-04(9,000+ miles) and always gave it up when,if or before it was needed,ALWAYS doing the right thing, and i get called a bunch of names on WB by a bunch of internet tough guys who don't even know me at all. calling me a moron,inconsiderate and much more, telling me im out of line
    lady of the woods, i am sorry for hijacking the thread and i hope you have a great hike!
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 01-17-2012 at 19:55.

I love to see dogs on the trail but whats even better is good dog owners. MOST of the time, I see owners taking the high road and not even asking about dogs in shelters and just setting up their tents. As for the OP'S point. Its something you will have to get used to. PLan to tent. If the weather is really really bad and you want to shelter it and their is a dog, just be polite and 9 times out of 10, you will get politeness in return. Now, there is always the one person that will just be a d*** about. A lot of the time, someone else may beat you to it and ask the owner to not let their dog sleep in the shelter. Just be nice to each other about it, that goes for dog owners as well

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    just bring a tent, you wont find too many dogs sleeping in shelters unless you're with a pack that has dogs you'll keep running into night after night. and for the few nights you do run into an "inconsiderate "dog owner w/ dog in shelter, those nights you tent.
    this is true. I've done around 70 nights sectioning the trail in all seasons and have only seen dogs at the shelter twice. Both times the dogs slept outside. Only around 10% of hikers bring dogs, 95% of those are dayhikers. And most hikers with dogs are considerate enough to avoid shelters altogether. Its a rare enough occurance that I would tell my buddy not to worry about it. And if a true jerk of a dog owner bring his pet into the shelter, your friend should have a tent "just in case" anyway, (for a multitude of reasons besides dogs).

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You will soon find that the hikers that sleep in shelters are neither interested in you or their dogs comfort. Probably wouldn't want to be around them anyway.
    there. fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegum View Post
    Leave the dog at home. I gave a hiker a ride north on I 81 a few years ago. I didn't know he had a dog until after I stopped. Dog was hiding behind the guardrail.With dog in back of subaru ,hiker in front with me we drove north for about 3 hours. When I said goodbye and wish them well And headed east for home I found that both of them had been covered with fleas. I was not a very happy person. I don'think he ran out of money from buying flea collars or dip. My personal opinion is, leave the dogs at home they will love you for it.May God Bless.
    okay, what does this have to do with the price of tea in china? for pete's sake, it's your car. if you can't say no to a dog in your car, then that is YOUR problem and ONLY YOUR problem. jeez. take some responsibility for yourself in life! and dog owners can take a page from your book and just say, "if you don't like dogs, STAY HOME, because mine will be out there, whether you have a problem with it or not."

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    okay, what does this have to do with the price of tea in china? for pete's sake, it's your car. if you can't say no to a dog in your car, then that is YOUR problem and ONLY YOUR problem. jeez. take some responsibility for yourself in life! and dog owners can take a page from your book and just say, "if you don't like dogs, STAY HOME, because mine will be out there, whether you have a problem with it or not."
    awesome......
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I can't wait til we get out of the place we live in now and to a dog friendly space. I always get jealous when I see people out with dogs. We have a park close by called Bear Brook, down in Hooksett, NH and its nice to go see some of the dogs in the area. I think every one is ready for a big snow, especially the trail dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    if the ATC says its ok for a dog to be in a shelter if theres rooms available
    or the shelters empty and or no one cares that the dogs in the shelter in the first place
    and you move, if more hikers are coming & or the space is needed, ALWAYS being considerate, then there is no problem!!!
    you mean to tell me even if the shelters completly empty and no one else shows up, not even then should a dog go in the shelter? thats not what the ATC says, so i will not take advice from you all. i stayed in a shelter with my dog a dozen times or so over the years 98-04(9,000+ miles) and always gave it up when,if or before it was needed,ALWAYS doing the right thing, and i get called a bunch of names on WB by a bunch of internet tough guys who don't even know me at all. calling me a moron,inconsiderate and much more, telling me im out of line
    lady of the woods, i am sorry for hijacking the thread and i hope you have a great hike!
    i don't think its just thruhikers that feel intitled, what makes all of you feel like you deserve a shelter spot?
    maybe a few bucks to WB, maybe a ATC membership?, did you pickup a little trash along the way and felt special, how about some serious trail work of any kind, besides trying to police the AT from the internet. lets start with some manners and move forward. i wear a external frame pack too, and use a water filter, must be out of my mind.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well besides dog hair they'll be mouse hair, racoon hair, porcupine hair and other "hairs" in the shelters. Your friend needs to tent only

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i don't think its just thruhikers that feel intitled, what makes all of you feel like you deserve a shelter spot?
    maybe a few bucks to WB, maybe a ATC membership?, did you pickup a little trash along the way and felt special, how about some serious trail work of any kind, besides trying to police the AT from the internet. lets start with some manners and move forward. i wear a external frame pack too, and use a water filter, must be out of my mind.
    preach it brother!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    Since your a medical expert i guess..., there are people that are allergic to animal dandruff as well and not just their saliva. My sister can just sit in a house with an animal in it for awhile and will have her allergies start going crazy. You don't have to touch them.
    After years of "hanging out" on Amatuer Radio with a Dr in this feild - Dander is over rated! you are talking about skin cells - still gets back to the saliva - Its like trying to be allegic to human dust. (Some folk are) Ever noticed there is more dust in the bedroom, yea 8 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    Why should the hiker allergic to dogs have to stay in a tent. If you are hiking with a dog you should be considerate of others. This includes on the trail and at shelter sites. I have 4 dogs and leave them at home when I am hiking. On my 2010 thru hike I was awakened by a dog at the Overmountain shelter because an inconsiderate owner came in late with his dog and let the dog sleep on my sleeping bag.
    You are missing something in your personal walk in life..... Please consider that one or more of your dogs would love to go on a walk with you. An overnight would be pure joy! Maybe your post is simplistic (you simplified) - take your dogs and hike anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    I'd apply rude, crude, and just inconsiderate jerk(s) to those hikers who set their tent up in a shelter, with or without their dog(s).
    Ok SW - what is the harm in asking politly "hey folks - I would like to stay tonight in the shelter.... Would you do me a favor? is there any objections for me and my dog?" and respect the answer? - its just a different take... Not personal. I realize there are jerks out there.. You are smart enough to find a way to overcome this... When you find something that works lets PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    From the ATC website concerning dogs on the trail: "Take special measures at shelters. Keep your dog leashed in the shelter area, and ask permission of other hikers before allowing your dog in a shelter. Be prepared to "tent out" when a shelter is crowded, and on rainy days."

So even if dog owners followed the ATC guidelines and asked you if it was OK for their dog to stay in the shelter you can't do anything about the dog that was in there the night before. Then you have the problem of mice which might also cause an allergic reaction.

Do yourself a favor and stay in a tent. You won't have to worry about sleeping in a dirty crowded shelter with snoring, stinking hikers that come in late or leave before dawn. The only shelters I stayed in on my thru-hike were in the Smokys where it's required. You can usually tent near a shelter if you want company or somewhere along the trail if you want privacy. You can't plan on always staying in shelters since they might be full so you'll need to carry a tent anyway. You're not missing anything by staying out of the shelters.
    So Don when you get pulled over do you quote rules to the officer? .... I know you a little here on WB.... You are a great guy.. How would we change our approch? Yea Mice do carry life threatening disease. Personally I know I am going to shoot myself with this statement - but Don you have good advice.... what would be your second guess? - there's no right answer... but its a good topic for a new thread. (I had a better answer but age kicked in)

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yea, but life is SO much easier when you can. Especially if it happens to rain.
    Cool Ya both now it IS the comradely of being in the shelter... ENGAGE

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Forgive me if I sound stupid or insensitive...aren't the woods full of animals with hair/fur? Will this cause your friend problems or is it only "pet hair"?
    Before my time there were enough disease that allergies were not a focus, now folk are allergic to trees, hike and don't know it. Ya nailed it. You go!

Last week someone really got my goat and I appreciate what he had to offer.... folks we are all here to help each other with better advice from the source. I can understand now that "Backpacker" is a Debby downer of simplistic information and what we are doing is jumping in and raising the bar.... It is my personal hope when you answer someone's post you are thinking " Yea I got this!" Without question I have made some mistakes here.... but as each month goes by I hope I too am learning something.... I am really into the each and every one of you that added good information here.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Well,my take is most definitely biased,I love dogs,all dogs,I guess you could say I'm a dog lover.I cannot remember a time in my life that we did not have a dog as part of the family,because there wasn't one.If a dog licked my face while I was sleeping,I would find that funny,If a dog ran over my sleeping bag with muddy feet,I would say,well I guess I'm doing laundry tomorrow.Like anything in life......dogs happen.Thank you to the creator for making a dog one of man's best friends.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

WOO, I quoted the rule to show those that don't know what the rule is.
    When I get pulled over (which is rare, it's been years) I don't quote the rules (code/law) I just show my badge and hope for a little professional courtesy.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

GA-ME 2011
    Images

WOO, Not sure I understand your question about what would be my second guess.
    My best advice is to avoid the situation by tenting.
    What if the OP's friend was allergic to down?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    WOO, Not sure I understand your question about what would be my second guess.
    My best advice is to avoid the situation by tenting.
    What if the OP's friend was allergic to down?
    Fox in the hen house

Sorry, post #76 was for post #74.

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

my thing with the OP is that they are expecting dog owners to be responsible for their friend's health issues. be responsible for yourself and bring your own tent. there will be nothing keeping you from asking politely if someone with a dog would mind moving to a tent, but there will be nothing that says that they will have to, either.

a few days into my hike this year, i arrived at a shelter about the time a big thunderstorm was about to hit. i was just about to set my tent up and a guy hollered at me and told me to basically quit being silly and to get into the shelter. WITH MY DOG. no one cared. swayze knew the routine. we'd get to camp, take our packs off, and then she'd sit on her sleeping pad and wait until i'd fixed her supper. she didn't walk around the shelter. she didn't sleep on people's sleeping bags. she wasn't allowed to beg for food. i don't really see how this is abuse at all?

and there's no telling what kinds of animals happen to frequent the shelters when there aren't hikers there. bears have been known to wander into shelters. mice LIVE in the shelters. etc. etc. i'd much rather cuddle up next to a dog than a family of rats.

most shelters have brooms that you could sweep with if you're super worried about it.

yes, i have seen bad dog owners let their dogs run wildly through camp. but just because a dog sleeps in a shelter doesn't mean that the owner is inconsiderate or irresponsible. the fact that y'all are generalizing every dog owner is rather ridiculous.
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

Can I get an AMEN! I love responsible dog owners that will stand up for themselves and their furbabies!

Amen,didn't want leave hangin' there.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++