WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

hahaha! thanks!

Any time my brother.

i'sa sistah! ; P

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stonedflea View Post
    my thing with the OP is that they are expecting dog owners to be responsible for their friend's health issues. be responsible for yourself and bring your own tent. there will be nothing keeping you from asking politely if someone with a dog would mind moving to a tent, but there will be nothing that says that they will have to, either.

a few days into my hike this year, i arrived at a shelter about the time a big thunderstorm was about to hit. i was just about to set my tent up and a guy hollered at me and told me to basically quit being silly and to get into the shelter. WITH MY DOG. no one cared. swayze knew the routine. we'd get to camp, take our packs off, and then she'd sit on her sleeping pad and wait until i'd fixed her supper. she didn't walk around the shelter. she didn't sleep on people's sleeping bags. she wasn't allowed to beg for food. i don't really see how this is abuse at all?

and there's no telling what kinds of animals happen to frequent the shelters when there aren't hikers there. bears have been known to wander into shelters. mice LIVE in the shelters. etc. etc. i'd much rather cuddle up next to a dog than a family of rats.

most shelters have brooms that you could sweep with if you're super worried about it.

yes, i have seen bad dog owners let their dogs run wildly through camp. but just because a dog sleeps in a shelter doesn't mean that the owner is inconsiderate or irresponsible. the fact that y'all are generalizing every dog owner is rather ridiculous.
    Years ago, when I hiked with my first Siberian Husky, I would take him into the shelters with me (yes, we had a HUGE tarp, so that if the shelter was full, we'd be okay). Bandit was NEVER allowed to beg, he was NEVER allowed to roam around the shelter, and he was NEVER allowed to jump up on others (or their equipment). 24-7 that dog was either tethered to me or to a tree that was far enough away from the shelter that he could get in, but only as far as MY stuff (on the one end). Granted, huskies shed, and yes, there was a bit of fur that had to be swept out in the morning, but I always swept out the shelter before I left anyway. No one ever asked us to leave the shelter, but if they had, it would have been no big deal.

Fast-forward 25 years, and now we have lots of people out there (some who even own dogs!) who don't seem to give a rat's @$$ about being considerate of other people's needs...it's ALL about them! (If I wanted to hijack this thread, I'd suggest replacing the word "dog" with the term "Boy Scouts", and see where THAT would take us!) But - to keep us on topic, since there seems to be SO MUCH civility and common decency that's been lost over the last few years, I would suggest that, if asking nicely won't work, you'd better be prepared to tent or tarp to get away from the situation...heck, it might REALLY be the owner that you're allergic to in the first place!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

HEY, my Scouts are just as well behaved as your dog
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    HEY, my Scouts are just as well behaved as your dog
    on my 1999 thruhike, troop#580 Georgia---Lilburn GA. i meet this group out on the trail, i was able to gain thier respect on how well my dog was well behaved and how well i took care of her, tried my best to inspire the boys with stories of the trail and had a few laughs. when it was time to go,they ask me if i would carry thier troop pin with me to maine. not only was it my privilege to do so! i wore it on my backpack so everyone could see it. i was an honorary trooper :-) i sent it back to them after our trek with a pitcure from baxter peak. i was told they used my story about hiking with a dog and shared it, along with what thruhiking was all about with all the troops at a gathering of all the GA. chapters. great bunch of kids, bet they turned out to be good young men
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 01-19-2012 at 01:13.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    My NOBO hike is planned for mid March. My hiking buddy has an allergy to pet hair and is concerned about folks keeping their dogs in the shelter. How can this be handled tactfully?
    Don't use shelters, split a decent sized tent, one carry's the fabric, other can carry the poles ... stop for dinner at shelter's and socialize, then hike on a mile or two and camp ... nice, quiet .. no snoring and better sleep. =)
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Ok ,time to pony up.Me and mine we sleep in a tent,cause that's what we/I like.If asked to move on or away or whatever,I would be glad to accommodate when I can,but "you gotta ask me" nice.That's right I can give as good as I get.But if you roll in from the trail and start with demanding and pointing fingers at my dog,and generally being a stick,your gonna get stuck.Now all that said most of what's going on here,on this thread,does not happen out on the trail.Every body is pretty damn nice.But every once and a while........Whoop there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    on my 1999 thruhike, troop#580 Georgia---Lilburn GA. i meet this group out on the trail, i was able to gain thier respect on how well my dog was well behaved and how well i took care of her, tried my best to inspire the boys with stories of the trail and had a few laughs. when it was time to go,they ask me if i would carry thier troop pin with me to maine. not only was it my privilege to do so! i wore it on my backpack so everyone could see it. i was an honorary trooper :-) i sent it back to them after our trek with a pitcure from baxter peak. i was told they used my story about hiking with a dog and shared it, along with what thruhiking was all about with all the troops at a gathering of all the GA. chapters. great bunch of kids, bet they turned out to be good young men
    Good story Crumb Snatch,a real feel good moment with goose bumps and every thing was had albeit short.A+

I cannot believe how far this thread has gone astray. I replied to a few of the responses (and I am the OP) on Post #11 as to how I would proceed, if anyone wants to go back and read...probably not. This is now Post #89! The question was posted in the straightforward question forum area. I just wanted a straightforward answer. I got it. I also received a lot of snide remarks. I thought WB was a forum for folks to learn more about the trail, acquaint themselves with the AT community in general, and generally learn idea's regarding gear, etc. I'm not sure I'll be asking any more questions. It's not that I'm so thin-skinned. It's simply that life has enough controversy 'out there' without courting it on-line, as well. Sorry I asked.

Images

I cannot believe how far this thread has gone astray. I replied to a few of the responses (and I am the OP) on Post #11 as to how I would proceed, if anyone wants to go back and read...probably not. This is now Post #89! The question was posted in the straightforward question forum area. I just wanted a straightforward answer. I got it. I also received a lot of snide remarks. I thought WB was a forum for folks to learn more about the trail, acquaint themselves with the AT community in general, and generally learn idea's regarding gear, etc. I'm not sure I'll be asking any more questions. It's not that I'm so thin-skinned. It's simply that life has enough controversy 'out there' without courting it on-line, as well. Sorry I asked.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

I haven't read the whole thread. But this is a very active "community" and even in the straight forward section, from experience, there will always be a few questionable comments. It's hard for mods to keep up I might add. Sometimes we members don't police ourselves as much as we should. That said, dogs on the trail and in shelters are a contentious issue. The bottom line is that there will be dogs / dog hair / dander in shelters, either when you are there or the day before.

Images

Meh, don't worry about the thread drift, dogs are a touchy subject because of bad owners giving dogs bad reps, don't let the snide remarks stop you from asking questions: the way i look at this site is there is a lot of 'information' you just got pick through everything to find actual valid 'information' so take no offense to the cyber hikers and those that are too bitter, besides the ignore feature works quite well on here!

and my answer to the original question: if your friend is extremely allergic then don't stay in shelters, tent, hammock what ever makes you happy, but stay somewhere that your friend can control the environment of, because its a public trail, there is no controlling what actually happens in shelters, many experienced hikers who have been hiking for a while don't even bother with shelters any more, other than occasionally using the nearby picnic table... if there is no other option but to stay in a shelter, i suggest carrying a large ground cloth, piece of plastic or tyvek or something of that nature to lay down on the shelter floor, and lay it down before he puts any of his belongings in there (and mark which side faces down and up so he isn't sleeping on the exposed side the next night)...
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    there are people that are allergic to animal dandruff as well and not just their saliva. My sister can just sit in a house with an animal in it for awhile and will have her allergies start going crazy. You don't have to touch them.
    Over time - (months) the saliva particals become dried out and airborne quality vacume and cleaning will reduce that so would steam cleaning occationally.

Quote Originally Posted by RevLee View Post
    Is your hiking buddy allergic to mice? They are much more common in shelters than dogs.
    Very strange post - the shelter could be overrun with mice and because its not enclosed - how on earth would anyone have a reaction? The real danger here is urine and poop mice have no control of their bladders and urinate on everything they touch... (walk in turn off the lights turn on the BLACKLIGHT and watch your mouth drop) its a little like CSI - dried urine glows. The poop dries out and becomes airborne the pathogens are HANTA VIRUS

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    My daughter has a severe allergy to peanuts. There is no way she could sleep on the floor at Texas Roadhouse, even after a good clean-up.
    Good news - new breakthroughs in medicine and study's suggest for milk allergies are cookies with ever small doses of milk and building up immunity over a year. Peanuts will be the next leap. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Allergi...0#.TxhGuoH2JOM

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegum View Post
    Leave the dog at home. I gave a hiker a ride north on I 81 a few years ago. I didn't know he had a dog until after I stopped. Dog was hiding behind the guardrail.With dog in back of subaru ,hiker in front with me we drove north for about 3 hours. When I said goodbye and wish them well And headed east for home I found that both of them had been covered with fleas. I was not a very happy person. I don'think he ran out of money from buying flea collars or dip. My personal opinion is, leave the dogs at home they will love you for it.May God Bless.
    Really good post bubblegum - Mice run in shelters - Fleas love Mice - your dog must be protected & Fleas transmit diseases. Dogs without protection will infest shelter to shelter!

Quote Originally Posted by F-Stop View Post

If you want to really get into it, there are a handful of different causes:
    1) Allergic to the natural dust and dander that gets caught up in the coat
    2) Allergic to the proteins in the saliva
    3) Allergic to the proteins in the urine

Could be any of those, and a thorough blood panel and testing should show which it is.
    Cool Pick up _ I forgot urine and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    WOO, I quoted the rule to show those that don't know what the rule is.
    When I get pulled over (which is rare, it's been years) I don't quote the rules (code/law) I just show my badge and hope for a little professional courtesy.
    You have my apology!

We are all focused on a animal love hate relationship here - it's the internet - it would be more intense on other websites. Glad you asked the question - don't get boggled by the minutia.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-19-2012 at 12:38.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

So, does all this apply to ANY animal I choose to hike with?

Quote Originally Posted by xokie View Post
    No. Fish are OK.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I had a dog steal my bagel once and another wet dog run all over my gear but I also met a hiker named Otto who had a dog named Raven. They were great to see the way they interacted. Otto made sure Raven didn't get into peoples face or maybe Raven was just well trained. Otto and Raven made me forget the two jerks.

I still don't want to sleep with a wet dog.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by xokie View Post
    You can't bring pack animals on the AT, so that eliminates most of what could potentually travel the route like goats, horses, ponies, and donkeys. Which brings up an interesting question. If you put a pack on your dog, does it become a pack animal and is therefore banned from the AT?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Legally,I think dogs are classified as "Work Dogs" By the KCA but I don't speak about legalities any more.want some ice cream?3...2...1

GA-ME 2011
    Images

There's Work Dogs and then there's Service Dogs. Service Dogs provide assistance to a disabled person.
    More info here: http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++