WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default no wool, good substitute??

I have seen so much posted on wearing wool everything, but what do you do when you are allergic to wool?? Is there a good alternative...right now I use a good deal of fleece.

Fleece works just fine, stick with it if your allergic to wool. Its just as effective(or pretty close) and usually cheaper.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Images

Silk is very comfortable and warm for it's weight. PolyPro is also a decent substitute. There are a lot of synthetic base layers out there, made by many companies.

For more substantial insulation, any of the synthetic puffy garments will be lighter and more compressible than fleece. PrimaLoft is my favorite synthetic and closest to down in compressability and draping. Or, for in camp, down is the gold standard.

do they make primaloft sleeping bags...I don't do too well with down either? I really hate itching and sneezing all night long!!

How do you know you're allergic? I've known several people that are allergic to wool, depending on how it is treated and its texture. If you haven't tried a pair of merino socks, start there. The quality is very different than wool sweaters and surplus army blankets of old. If you still have an exposure reaction, break out the polypro! (It might retain more funk, but it still works!)

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    do they make primaloft sleeping bags...I don't do too well with down either? I really hate itching and sneezing all night long!!
    There are several types of synthetics used by various manufacturers. Down is great but you have plenty of other options.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

I had the allergy testing done a few years ago after years of suffering every winter with various sweaters, gloves, hats, etc. PolyPro is good stuff, I used it all the time when I was an ocean kayak guide up in maine...dried quick too!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    I'm sure they are available. I have an EMS Primaloft bag, that was where I first was introduced to it. This particular bag is no longer made. Other synthetic insulation works well too.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've known many people who thought they were allergic to wool and what they were allergic to was either the wool processing or the type of wool. The simplest test is to take a couple of locks of wool, wash them thoroughly, and rub them against your inner wrist. If you have an allergy, you will probably be quickly aware of a reaction. If you don't get a reaction, then perhaps something else is going on. I'm going to talk about three issues that may cause people to believe they're allergic to wool.

The first of these is the type of wool used. Commercial yarns (and some handspun) is often made from a type of wool that is inappropriate for the end use. Yes, there are some amazingly nice Lincoln fleeces out there, but for the most part, that breed's fleece is more appropriate for outer wear as opposed to a scarf you'd wrap around your neck. The fact is, that you need to pick a finer wool to have it be more comfortable against the skin.

For a nice sweater to wear directly over you skin, pick a fine breed like Rambouillet, Cormo, or Merino. Perino is a dual-purpose breed that was developed in Australia in the 1800's and is 75 per cent Merino and 25 per cent Lincoln. It is both fine enough and long enough to meet most of my needs for fine spinning or items that might be worn next to the skin.

The second issue is how the wool is prepared prior to spinning. When you buy a wool item at your local store, the wool has been carbonized. This is how the mills remove the vegetable matter in fleeces. Defined carbonizing as:
    The process of treating wool with chemicals, usually acids, to destroy and remove the burrs without seriously damaging the wool. The usual chemical used is sulphuric acid. Wool so treated is known as carbonized wool.
    This may come as a shock, but at the large commercial wool mills, whole, tied fleeces are tossed into the giant wool washing leviathans. The growers went to the paper cords as they dissolve in the acid baths which cuts down on the labor costs of removing them at the mills. These are harsh chemicals and I think for many people may cause their allergic reaction.
    If you know you're sensitive, wash your wool in as pure of a soap as you can. I'd recommend Ivory Flakes or any of the pure laundry soaps

While I haven't done so, I have friends who swear by adding a conditioner to the final rinse. Some people us laundry conditioners and others use hair conditioners.

Another issue is that dyes (both synthetic and vegetable) may affect the how people react. Both synthetic and vegetable dyes leave a residue (color) and depending on your sensitivity, you might need to avoid them. There is often a highly-mistaken belief that some that is "natural dyed" won't cause a reaction. Depends on what you're allergic to.

Depending on your sensitivity, you might want to be cautious about the commercially prepared fibers for spinning. I've known of a couple of people who reacted strongly to the oils used by various mills.

Another item to consider is how the yarn is spun. You will need to determine if a woolen- or worsted-spun yarn better meets your needs.
    And finally we come to twist.

My point is YOU ARE NOT ALLERGIC TO WOOL - Folk have worn wool, a natural animal product that we have worn for 10,000 years... NO WAY NO HOW. Its a MYTH! Try the above test - but as someone that has worn wool all my life - I am a nay-sayer.

Dink the better fleese is called Polypro and is tops - great for hiking.... and as you gain in your endevors Try compressable UL Down for a campsite and added warmth for the night --
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-19-2012 at 23:25.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

If the doc said you were allergic to wool, I believe you. Thin liners under the wool sock work for you?

I have used some decent acrylic socks. Plenty of synthetic fibers out there for socks/insulating layers.

Contact dermatitis is miserable. Trim those nails...

Images

Way, WAY back in the day when I was teaching winter backpacking courses, I used to recommend ACRYLIC if someone was allergic to wool. Acrylic fibers tend to trap a good amount of dead air, they are moderately hydrophobic, and, if wet, the garment can be stripped off, wrung out thoroughly, and dried with body heat. (Use caution when drying ANY synthetic fibers near fire.)

Now, this was in the days before most of the newer synthetics (Gore-Tex was the new "Big Thing", and poly-pro was just about to make it's debut). Using poly-pro or any other "base-layer" fabric in between your skin and the wool MIGHT be enough to give you relief from moderate irritation, but if you're truly allergic, you will still suffer.

I agree with WOO that it may NOT be the wool itself that's causing the allergic reaction. Wool is a wonderful fiber, but it can get "man-handled" during processing, and the result is something that's often unwearable for someone who is sensitive.

Try looking for some acrylic garments at the Goodwill Store, or at the Salvation Army. You won't pay very much that way, and you might find that it works for you.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Thanks for all the great advice! I do have a wonderful old sweater that has a 5% merino wool content...I can wear it if I have on a long sleeved turtleneck and be really careful that the sweater does not touch my skin. As for shopping at Goodwill, It's my fav of all places to find goodies and here I can get a senior (over 50, like that's "senior") discount of 20% off every wednesday.

++ New Posts ++